whats the best snowmobile

mulesndogs

Just a question for all you guys up north. Whats the best snowmobile to get around on. I hunt with hounds. Im sick of being stuck, broke down and asphixiated when looking for a track and trying to pull a sled with a dog or two behind. I know you guys cant have all the troubles Ive had up in youre country or youd be dead. I dont want to go 90 miles an hour. Just be able to get around and pull a load ocassionaly in all types of snow conditions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You might want to check out the Snowest Forums. Nothing but snowmobiles there. I'm partial to Arctic Cats myself. My brother is a real fanatic when it comes to snowmobiles. He was the world champion in Jackson in 1996. I can hook you up with him if you want some of the real nuts and bolts about snowmobiles. If you want, e-mail me and I can give you his info. pamerrill1957 @ msn.com (remove spaces)

Moose57, Hey thanks for the reply. My brotherinlaw is also into hill climbing. Hes from providence ut. THey have a team thats been world champs several times. I am more interested in a sled that will go slow and pull a load on poor trails. The hill climb guys I know are more into power and speed. Im into dependablity and ease of use. Also those hill climbers like to spend the bucks on their equipment. Im into economy. I may only have a use for the thing every 3=4 years, because of the snow conditions where I live. Thanks again for the post. I do apreciate any help.

mulesndogs,

You might realy want to consider a Ski-Doo. Either a Scandik or a Tundra. The Scandik would be my first choice. You can really haul a load on one and it'l pull a house down. They get great milage too.

The Tundra is similar to the scandik but with less power and a bit tougher to ride as far as turning and stuff. Quite a bit cheaper than the scandik though. AW

I would go with an Arctic Cat Bearcat 570 for one reason over the Skandik/Tundra. The Bearcat has a clutch on it that is set up to haul heavy loads. There is no shifting involved. You can get a 2 stage tranny on the Skandik, but it costs more and you have to shift. I just priced the machines recently, and the Bearcat is the same price as the Skandik 440 LT. The Tundra is about $1700 cheaper. If you didn't need to haul around a dog box, I would go with the Tundra. It's the machine of choice for the trappers. It's simple and lightweight.

I have a Bearcat myself, and eventually will be getting another for the reasons above. The big Skandiks and Bearcats are...well...just too dang big and heavy.

Jim

I really like my AC wide longtrack it will pull like a crazy and the clutch is just great yea if you get it stuck be ready for a work out but it will do any job hands down.

I have moved 400 lbs from a dead stop and she just droped down and took off and no belt slip just my two cents >>>

I have an older machine that's still going, so I have been just looking. One of the machines I like is a utility Yamaha. It's a VK 540 III with a 20" x 156" track. I would look at a machine with a wide track if you want to go off the trail in deep snow.

i have to agree with the tundra!its not a fast machine but man can it work. i live in northern ont and many times i wished i had the tundra! i got one of those machines that go 90 and sometimes i swear my back still hurts! yes you can get them all stuck but the tundra ids a machine you can move around! its got a long track and go with one that has rverse sometimes it saves the back!!!!!!

oh and for the pulling!! dont sweat it the tundra has pulled many moose out for us. SO the 2 dogs and a dog box no problem!!!!

just like everthing else you need several to have the perfect one for each situation[gun,dog,boat,truck,etc. for me the tundra is the best choice as i go alone a lot and there is not a snow machine that will not get stuck and i can get the tundra out regardless. we have a little snow here in Maine at times.

Hey thanks for all the posts. I really apreciate all the info and Im going to look into several options for snowmobiles. Lucky for me the snow is starting to melt here pretty good. I can get back on the mules and go again. Good luck with youre spring hunts and stuff up there.

I agree with most of the folks here that the Tundra would be a good choice. I has plenty of power for pulling a dog box. When you hear about sleds designed for towing they are for towing real loads. Any sled will pull a small load just fine.

Sure like those Tundras. Too bad I don't have one. But I'm in the market....

I run a Polaris Wide Track. It's got the 20" longtrack. Not as impressive as the SWT Skandics, but damned near as heavy.

They won't get stuck as easy, but when you do get it stuck, you've got work gettin out.

Back