Sierra 40 HP Varminter

Merdit

Anybody like or dislike the Sierra 40 HP varminters in their .223? I'm thinking about testing some in my Striker to see if it likes them. Not planning on shooting any coyotes over 200yds. Think they may work nicely for a bobcat. How do they perform on predators with good shot placement?

The 60gr varminter is a good tough bullet. They penatrate good but dont blow up violently. The 40's should be just as good. Iv killed a lot of coyotes and other stuff with 40gr v max. Shot placment is key with any bullet.

I was like Muskrat until I tried the 40 grain hollow point on a coyote, almost by accident, and found that it hammered a coyote much better than the 50 grain bullets I had always used. This was in a 222 I should add. They are a pretty tough bullet, designed for speeds up to the 22-250, so hold together very well. They are susceptable to wind deflection being a flat base bullet. I have moved on to the 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip for the higher ballistic co-efficient and the boat tail bullet which makes a noticeable difference in the wind.

Merdit,I use the 40gr.Sierra H.P.in my cz 22 hornet at 3000-3050 ftp and at 200yds they put the hammer on a coyote. At the hornet speeds they don't blow up like others have said and if you happen to run into a bobcat it does a number on them too. One of the best for the hornet. Also, others have tried and use the 40gr.Sierra Blitz-higher B.C.-more energy-but have never tried. Got a lifetime supply of the H.P's and they cost less I think. At the speed I run them they only only drop 2" at 200yds and will penetrate 6 old phone books(2-3 inches thick) so you can't go wrong with that. And in your 223 you will have a winner. Give them a try. Use to run 12.6 grs of Lt'Gun but have found a little more at 12.8 grs with no pressure problems. O.B.

The sierra 40g HP was invented for the LA PD dept as a use for a sniper round in urban environment. Shooting through skulls of some of those thick headed varmints takes a fairly tough bullet. It is tough and very accurate little bullet and great for coyotes.

I down load them in my Hornet IMR 4198 at 2,100fps. great for tree squirrels! I also use H110 around 2,400fps. very very accurate. I like all the Sierra bullets for the old Hornet.

Originally Posted By: Mike BAckleyman always brags the 40 gr Sierra HP up for yotes - says it's a tough little bullet. Try it.

Ackleyman is right too! It's a tough and accurate little bullet. I always have a few boxes on my shelf and my little CZ 527 rifles in .223 as well as .221 Furball shoot them great.

A plus side is that they are a bit cheaper than a lot of other bullets out there so for sure, give them a try.

GP, the answer to those flat base bullet getting started in the case is to put a very HEAVY chamfer on the inside of the case mouth...problem solved.

Most rifles will shoot a flat base bullet better than a boat tail on short range loads.

Back