Suppressing a 22-250?

TucsonFrank

I'm considering throwing a can on my bullbarelled rem 700 22-250 since they're now legal for hunting in AZ. I found some old threads on other forums where guys were debating if .223 cans would get the job done and how much noise they would really reduce. My question is how much would I be sacrificing in accuracy and velocity and is it worth it? I shoot Winchester white box 45 grains, the box says they fly at 4000 fps but I've never chroned it.

I dont know those other forums or threads you mention but from what your saying the information seems slightly..... suspect.

I've shot my Gemtech 22cal can on a few different rifles and it sounds the same wether it's on a 17FB, 221 FB or a 223. There is a very, very slight difference between those and a 22Hornet. I havnt put it on a 22-250 but I wouldn't hesitate one second. Ive got a 22x47L (near identical to a 250) that I've been thinking about chopping off and installing it there too. You would probably need sound equipment to decipher the difference between a 223 and the 250.

I've never seen a decrease in accuracy, actually quite the opposite has been the case. With that said I really don't care if it slowed my bullet by a few FPS... The difference would be slight if there was one.

It's worth every penny but do yourself a favor, just buy a 30 cal can to start with. That way you can put it on everything you have 30 cal and under. Monday morning I'm paying for my 30 cal can and starting the paperwork and waiting process. I wished I had gone with a 30 cal to start with.

Originally Posted By: Furhunter I dont know those other forums or threads you mention but from what your saying the information seems slightly..... suspect.

I've shot my Gemtech 22cal can on a few different rifles and it sounds the same wether it's on a 17FB, 221 FB or a 223. There is a very, very slight difference between those and a 22Hornet. I havnt put it on a 22-250 but I wouldn't hesitate one second. Ive got a 22x47L (near identical to a 250) that I've been thinking about chopping off and installing it there too. You would probably need sound equipment to decipher the difference between a 223 and the 250.

I've never seen a decrease in accuracy, actually quite the opposite has been the case. With that said I really don't care if it slowed my bullet by a few FPS... The difference would be slight if there was one.

It's worth every penny but do yourself a favor, just buy a 30 cal can to start with. That way you can put it on everything you have 30 cal and under. Monday morning I'm paying for my 30 cal can and starting the paperwork and waiting process. I wished I had gone with a 30 cal to start with.

+1 Just my choice http://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30p-1

Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know I could use a .30 cal can. I still haven't found any data on suppressed vs unsuppressed muzzle velocity.

Originally Posted By: songdog Quote: suppressed vs unsuppressed muzzle velocity probably because it's a none issue.

Perfectly stated..... A non issue, I agree 100%

Originally Posted By: TucsonFrankI'm considering throwing a can on my bullbarelled rem 700 22-250 since they're now legal for hunting in AZ. I found some old threads on other forums where guys were debating if .223 cans would get the job done and how much noise they would really reduce. My question is how much would I be sacrificing in accuracy and velocity and is it worth it? I shoot Winchester white box 45 grains, the box says they fly at 4000 fps but I've never chroned it.

Listen and Love it... I've been suppressing the 250 for years... and its a performer...

They don't chrono at 4000, they never do.

as for the can, I would suggest the 30cal 308 can.
It works as good as a 223 and will fit any future guns you use.
I have used the threaded and quick change.
The quick change has a longer contact and alignment area and impacts accuracy less than threaded. In my experience it has improved consistent accuracy.

Also with a can it sounds like less than a 22 MAG just a little more than a 22lr.

Good stuff Skinney!
A word of caution.Some 223 cans are not rated to handle the 'pressures'of the 22-250.(ie,Gemtech)Check with the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Suppressors frequently show higher velocities than a "clean" barrel. Accuracy with a quality suppressor is at least as good and often better than w/o. Don

suppressing your 22-250 is the best thing you could do to it...the supressed 250 is the only thing we've used this season. its such a sweet caliber to put a can on.

Just my opionion.
I used a suppressed 22-250 In New Zealand while I lived there for a few deer hunts.
Needless to say I wasn't impressed.
If It was me, why not actually use a Sub-Sonic load if your going to go thru all that trouble of paper work, money, ect, ect ?
The rifle will still be loud if you don't use the sub sonic round, and I cant see the benifits if your not going to use a sub sonic round, so why bother ?
Any one want to explain ?

Originally Posted By: ramshotJust my opionion.
I used a suppressed 22-250 In New Zealand while I lived there for a few deer hunts.
Needless to say I wasn't impressed.
If It was me, why not actually use a Sub-Sonic load if your going to go thru all that trouble of paper work, money, ect, ect ?
The rifle will still be loud if you don't use the sub sonic round, and I cant see the benifits if your not going to use a sub sonic round, so why bother ?

your pointing 180 degrees in the wrong direction... you do NOT need to be running subs to suppress the muzzle blast of a weapon effectively... I've been running a suppressed 250 for years, and its by far the best suppressed weapon I've ran, and I've ran a few, from the 22LR to the Barret .416. You will not only see, but more importantly HEAR the benefits of suppressing the 22-250 when hunting, and not having your or your partners ears ring, I've taken over 15 dogs this year with my camera man 6ft or closer to my muzzle...
Originally Posted By: ramshotAny one want to explain ?
would you like me to explain how bad his ears would be hemorrhaging and bleeding without a can on the end of my weapon?

Explain?

Let me give it a try......

After years of a loud work environment and just about everything you can do that's bad to your ears.... At 42 years old I have a hearing aid for my right ear and constant ringing in both... ie tinnitus. It's bad enough that a rifle shot will start my ears to ringing thru a set of muffs.

Anything.. And I mean anything that takes the high pitched crack off of the sound of a rifle shot is worth every damned penny it costs.. With super sonic loads it still makes a world of difference. Maybe it's just been too long ago for you to remember just how much difference a supressor makes over a non suppressed rifle.... Or you lack the extended experience with one. I don't know which and it really don't matter.

Subs are fun to play with but out of a 22-250 I don't think they would anchor a coyote well enough for my tastes so I'd pass on those hunting. I would however try out some 220 gr subs from the 300 Blackout that I'm building next.

Thanks for all the info, it sounds like its well worth it. Skinny what bipod are you using in that video? And would you recommend it over a set of sticks?

I got a set of Stoney points for my birthday last year and they've put my confidence through the roof.

Ramshot,
I respect your opinion but IMO something must have been wrong with your set up.I use mine(2 of them)on a 17-204,223,22-250,243 and 260 Rem and the noise and recoil is substantially reduced on all.
It's my understanding some countries in Europe require them because of noise reduction.
If one has a hearing issue(or wants to avoid one)and/or a flinching issue,they are worth every penny and the hassle of getting them.
Good hunting.
PS I'm so sold on them future rifle 'builds' will be planned around their use-things such as weight,barrel contour,etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TucsonFrankThanks for all the info, it sounds like its well worth it. Skinny what bipod are you using in that video? And would you recommend it over a set of sticks?

I got a set of Stoney points for my birthday last year and they've put my confidence through the roof.

I've seen a few threads on here, bipods or sticks... let's just say I carry the ADM qd mount on a 6-9 S harris and an ADM QD mount on a 13.5-27 S harris... I "practice" alot prone, and I DONT use sticks, I practice alot sitting and off hand, and I still don't use sticks.

Back