Using Electronic Calls

UncleDoc

I took a buddy out to hunt yesterday and he asked me an interesting question. I use a Wildlife Technologies electronic call and I will use a jackrabbit or cottontail intermittently rather than just letting it run constantly. He asked should I be cutting it on and off. When I use mouth calls I just cannot call constantly. So I am thinking that the electronic call should not just run constantly. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

On distress I play it 3-5 min then off for the same. For yote vol I howl no more then 3 times and wait for 3-5 mins but I don't do it for more then 3 times. I've never heard a yote just set and bark and howl like a dog would, you only hear them do it a few times and that's it.

I've never heard a critter that was actually being killed squall for 30 minutes either. Usually it is a few squeks and it's dead. However, letting it play works for some people {critters).

You'll get a lot of different replies on that question. A lot of successful coyote hunters turn the caller on, high volume, and let it play constantly for the entire stand. I try to make it as realistic as possible, laying out a real life scene. Works for me. Nothing works all the time.

I'm with Possum Al..
I try to make a real life scene. Maybe I overthink it a bit. But I try to use some greeting howls, then maybe a rabbit distress. Followed by a challenge bark series. Then pup distress. As I said maybe I over think it. But it can play out like that. Maybe an intruder is checking out the area, lucks into a rabbit, gets confronted by a local, then gets it butt whipped. At any time one could come in to see what is happening.

Straight distress has not produced as well. It does, just has not for us. Sometimes mouth calls have had them charging in less then 30 sec. Try many options. Good luck to ya !

I run the cs24 at volume 22 non stop when using distress and howls I run as you would use a mouth call, max 3 times with pause in between

i can get anything to come into my calls try and try go a wildfire mojo critter dont work very good dont know if i otta get a atom caller or a good foxpro im thinking it wont work up here help

Don,t get frustrated. I called a fox in 5 years ago on my very first stand and did not call anything again until this year. Now I called in cats, hawks , two eagles , owls , pussoms. I had yotes answer the call , growls that sounded like coons, and fox barks. This year in the last 2 weeks I have called in 2 coyotes and 3 red fox. I figured if all those hawks and owls were comeing in , it must sound real enough. What I now beleive is I was calling the other stuff in but not seeing them. I changed my positioning on myself to the caller and sitting down wind from the caller and am really concentateing on my downwind side. This is makeing a big diffrence.

So u put caller up wind why does that work better for u I have a wildfire not much range on on it think u must have a remote that can get some distance between u and caller am I right?

Right now should I be using alot of coyote vocals? My wife bought me a coyote decoy lone howler. For valentines day. Do ya think it would work or run coyotes off. I am using my new Shockwave and jack attack . Been out 2 times made 5 stands called in a gray fox.

Originally Posted By: rick0321So u put caller up wind why does that work better for u I have a wildfire not much range on on it think u must have a remote that can get some distance between u and caller am I right?

Put your call on vole squeaks or rodent of some type real low, then circle downwind. Take a distress call and blow it one time once you get downwind. In the East we probably do not see 70% of the critters we call in. Some of the new callers get 200-300 yard remote range. The echo, and the Primos callers.

Originally Posted By: Rescue35I've never heard a critter that was actually being killed squall for 30 minutes either. Usually it is a few squeks and it's dead. However, letting it play works for some people {critters).

Within the last 6 months, I was hog hunting from a ladder stand at night. The moon was out bright and I could see an owl catch a bird, fly a couple trees over and light on a big limb with the bird. That bird squalled for a solid 15 minutes constant. The owl would pick at the bird pulling out feathers but it took forever for the owl to kill the bird. I have kicked myself several time for not turning on my video cam to record the sound. If I had not been watching it, I would have thought someone turned on a Foxpro.

Last edited:
Called in a pair last week. The female came in to coyote pup distress at the 6 min. mark. She came cross wind about 80yds. the turned 90 deg. straight to the Foxpro and the Mojo. I could not get her to stop. About 20 yds. from the caller, she caught my scent, I think, and turned 180 to split. First shot missed, :-(, but the second rolled her. Thank God for that evil assault rifle. Started out with a coyote distress at low volume for 2 min. then a female long howl, then back to the coyote pup distress nonstop.

Rick I am sorry it took so long to answer. What is happeing with me is fox are trying to circle at 50 yards downwind on my caller every single time I call one in and coyotes are doing the same thing out at 100 yards. So by sitting down wind of the caller I am seeing them before they can wind us. The problem I am haveing now is night hunting the coyotes are circleing so fast to the down wind side , I am just seeing a blur and highs just before they wind me. I have been trying to keep the caller closer so the eyes are focused on my direction , but law only allows shotguns so when they circle at a 100 yards it's like spitting into the wind.

Originally Posted By: rick0321i can get anything to come into my calls try and try go a wildfire mojo critter dont work very good dont know if i otta get a atom caller or a good foxpro im thinking it wont work up here help

Are you sure there any critters in the area to hear your calls?
There not in the same area all the time,if there not there when you are there not gonna come.So it may not be you thats the reason.

It all depends on the animal your want to call in.

Fox, coon, bobcat I let it rip for long periods of time...I even call longer with mouth calls for these animals also.

Now when it comes to the coyotes...I call very little and use long periods of silence in between each sound.. I yank their chain!!! IMO over calling eastern coyotes results in failure!

Back