223 AR reloaded rounds hard to eject

NickNielsen

Guys, Somewhat new to reloading and need some help. I loaded up some 223 55 grain VMax rounds for my DPMS AR and they chamber fine but when trying to manually eject they are super tough to get out. When they do eject, the bullets have a scratch on them, almost like they are getting caught somewhere. I have not shot any yet so I don't know if they would eject on their own (i doubt it based on how tough they are to manually get out) I'm thinking my cases need to be trimmed. They are full length sized and loaded to 2.25 COL. The case lengths are 1.765. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

I am thinking like mwp-turn the resizing die about 1/32 turn in until this phenomenon goes away. The goal is to have them chamber easily(bolt and bolt carrier momentum usually does that even if they are a bit too long) and then have an unfired round extract normally. Just turn the resizing die in a bit until extraction is no issue. Scratches on the bullet are usually from the sharp edges of the locking lugs in the barrel extension made during chambering or extraction.

Ouch, not what I was hoping to hear as I sized 500 already. I appreciate the info though, i'll try a few before sizing them all again, learn the hard way i guess.

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnI am thinking like mwp-turn the resizing die about 1/32 turn in until this phenomenon goes away. The goal is to have them chamber easily(bolt and bolt carrier momentum usually does that even if they are a bit too long) and then have an unfired round extract normally. Just turn the resizing die in a bit until extraction is no issue. Scratches on the bullet are usually from the sharp edges of the locking lugs in the barrel extension made during chambering or extraction.

+1

This is more than likely the case. Don't ask me how I know.....
smile.gif

Before you do that, I would suggest turning the top crimp nut 1/8th turn and see if that does it.

The thinking is that if you full length size the Primer pin is also opening the mouth of the case too.
If you don't seat the bullet right that can cause issues, as well as the crimp too. That is why there are two nuts. one to set the bullet seat, and the other for a crimp. Try adjusting that a tiny bit to see if that makes a difference.
Also make sure your sizing die is just kissing the case holder. If its not kissing it, your not sizing right.

And come to thing of it, you crimp also may be too far down too, as another issue. Meaning that if you have it down to much it will start to bow out the cases at the shoulders.
Getting dies set just right can be tricky when you are learning.

Sadly you learned the first leason.. only do a few until everything is just right.

I'm not crimping. I set the FL die 1 turn back as stated in the directions. I'll try to kiss the shell holder and see if that works. Thanks again guys.

yup took me a little messing around to get my 22 250 to cycle right. most reloaders say to bump the shoulder 0.003-0.004" back, in my 250 i had to go 0.005".

easiest way to bump it back just what you need and not extra is take your die and turn it down a fraction of a turn, size one pce and try to chamber it slowly, not by letting bolt slam home.

if you have a factory round chamber that a time or two and you will find out how easily the bolt should close. if your resized brass doesnt go then turn die down another fraction and repeat.

once you get it to chamber easily you still may need to bump alittle more if the case doesnt want to extract easy.

Originally Posted By: NickNielsenI'm not crimping. I set the FL die 1 turn back as stated in the directions. I'll try to kiss the shell holder and see if that works. Thanks again guys.

Take a look at your instructions again. On the sizing die on the RCBS you should be camming over when you size. I believe the instructions tell you to raise the shell holder all the way up. Screw the die in until it touches then lower the shell holder and screw the die in another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You are not pushing the shoulder back far enough if you screwed the die out 1 turn. The seater die is the one you back out 1 turn.

This:

Originally Posted By: reb8600Take a look at your instructions again. On the sizing die on the RCBS you should be camming over when you size. I believe the instructions tell you to raise the shell holder all the way up. Screw the die in until it touches then lower the shell holder and screw the die in another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You are not pushing the shoulder back far enough if you screwed the die out 1 turn. The seater die is the one you back out 1 turn.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: NickNielsenI'm not crimping. I set the FL die 1 turn back as stated in the directions. I'll try to kiss the shell holder and see if that works. Thanks again guys.

Take a look at your instructions again. On the sizing die on the RCBS you should be camming over when you size. I believe the instructions tell you to raise the shell holder all the way up. Screw the die in until it touches then lower the shell holder and screw the die in another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You are not pushing the shoulder back far enough if you screwed the die out 1 turn. The seater die is the one you back out 1 turn.

Yep, sorry I misspoke earlier and mixed the 2 up. I was camming over and screwing the sizing die in 1/8 turn past hitting the shell holder. I just tried screwing it down another 1/8 turn and that did the trick. They extract must easier now. I appreciate all the tips and advice. I'll try a few and shoot them this time to make sure they extract and cycle properly.
thumbup.gif

I had this same problem as well when I started reloading, I have a dillon XL-650 with Dillon dies. I learned through a machinist friend of mine who also reloads that the dillon die doesn't resize properly and he suggested that I run the RCBS small base die. Since I switched to the small base die my .223 reloads run like a rock star.

I ran into this same problem awhile ago.

The problem was that the shell holder was to thick and even when the press cammed over on the sizing die the case still wasnt going into the die far enough.

I took a dremel to the the top of the shell holder and ground off maybe .020.

Problem solved!

Give that a shot before spending the cash on a small base die.

Back