opinions on semi-auto shotguns

jrcampbell

I'm looking to get a semi-auto shotgun in 12 gauge that will handle all length shells but have no idea what to get. Let's hear suggestions for and against and see sum pics and why you like yours. Thanks

I've got a SBE2 that I like, but if I was to buy another one,I'd try a M2.

I played the 3.5" game and would rather have a 3".

My 11-87 Premier has been real good to me too.

With the good ammo choices and chokes ,I don't see the need for 3.5" any longer.

Only real reason I got the 3.5 at the time was I had 4 cases of steel shot from my other POS Rem 3.5" gun.

O... a 3" will normally handle lite 2.75" loads better.

I have an older SBE and I agree with Tim. I bought if for turkey hunting and the 3 /12" shells do a good job, but so do the 3". If I ever buy another shotgun, which I doubt, the ability to shoot 3 1/2" shells will not be a priority.

I killed one last year @ 50ish yds with rem 3" no.4 buck, and agree that their fine, but you guys answered my question if the 3.5's are better. Would you recommend anything besides a benelli Tim?

I've always shot Rem till my 11-87 SM gave me fits for a couple years. That said , never had issuse with the 3 - 3" Rem autos we have.

Which ever maker just get the best quality they make and not the budget model.

It's best to try them all out if possable.

What brand do you shoot now ?

I have a Benelli M2. I hunt in dirt pits during the waterfowl season. I have to clean my gun after every hunt. There is no way I would ever buy another gas gun for goose hunting. I can give my M2 a very good cleaning in about 10 minutes.

I would rather get beat up than hunt with a Winchester Super X or a Browning A-5. The only gas gun I would consider would be a Beretta.

I could carry on and on why I like a 3" inertia shotgun over a 3 1/2" gas gun but I won't. Benelli is my shotgun of choice and I will only buy it in a 3" chamber with a 26" barrel. That is what works best for me.

If you want to really reach out and touch something have Howard Montgomery build you a barrel for your shotty. He made a 36" for my Mossy 590A1 with a custom extended choke tube to handle a super extra-full with steel BB loads. It groups astoundingly at 50 yards. With a Bushnell Holo-Sight it has fed me well.

Two Native guys I know own Benelli Super Black Eagles and love them. They too keep them squeeky clean for best operation.

Budget really does come into play here.

Cost no object? Beretta or Benelli. Personally, once I felt how soft shooting the Berettas are, I can't go back to a Benelli.

Best shooter at lowest cost: Stoeger. Benelli action, Remington 870 price. I have one. Hundreds of rounds of flawless cycling, in fact, it may well be over a thousand already. Easily the best deal out there in semi-autos.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous Grouse
Best shooter at lowest cost: Stoeger.

A lot of the 2000's sucked. The 3000's are supossedly better. My buddy got one and so far so good. If his keeps doing as good as it has so far, I'll probably pick one up but I know it will never shoulder as good as my M2.

Get a Benelli SBE2. That way you can shoot any 12 guage shell, and that might become a plus someday if ammo availability ever becomes an issue. I use mine primarily for turkey hunting, and although most of my turkeys were killed with 3 inch shells back in the days before I got a Benelli, the 3 1/2 shell is not overkill.

Back