Trapping Is Slow

Alaskan Wolfer

Boy, it has sure been slow trapping down here this year. Between working on call and fighting this crappy weather, I haven't put much effort into it but it seems to be a little slow regardless. I went out and checked my otter traps. Both of them held an otter. One big female and one medium female. So far this season I have...1 coyote, 4 beaver, 3 mink, and the 2 otter that I caught today. Its almost embarrasing. How is the trapping in the rest of the state? AW

Well Alaskan Wolf, I got the snow shoes, 22 Derringer,12 snares and the cash for the traps this year but I don`t think I`m going to trap this year. The kid is in Comp Hockey this year, the inlaws were here for X-mas, the house needs work to be done to it and I have seem to come down with Tennis elbow from working to hard this year. I think a trap line would be hard to clear, set up and maintain with tennis elbow so it will have to wait for next year. Keep us posted on how you do.

Well, a few of us are going out into the Caribou hills for a couple days. We are taking off for the cabin monday, hopefully most of the snowmachine traffic will be out of the hills by then. The last time I went out (the day after Thanks Giving) I went outside the cabin one night before bed and howled for a few minutes with no response. The next morning there was a set of wolf tracks about 30 feet from where I was standing when I was howling. I followed the tracks a little ways then located five wolves about 700 yards out. I got the big male to howl back a few times but none of them wanted to close the gap. I passed on the shot but I am reasonably sure I could have made a kill I shoot milk jugs on the beach at 500 yards) All that to say this... I hope I get a chance to make that decision this time out. I'll let y'all know how it turns out. AW

Back