Douglas or ER Shaw barrel?

sigpros

Looking to start my 35 whelen build here in the future. Which of these 2 barrel companies do you guys like? Or do you have another company? This is going to be a hunting rig. I have always wanted a 35 whelen so looks like i will build it. I will be using a Ruger action if that matters to you guys. Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KTM300I've heard shaw barrels are cheap. No better than any factory barrel out there.

I would have to say that you heard wrong. I have three rifles with Shaw barrels and they shoot superb. The .223 AI that I am holding in my avatar I killed prairie dogs out to beyond 700 yards with. My Model 1 upper came with a ER Shaw barrel and it will shoot 5 in a dime at 100 yards. I would have to say that ER Shaw barrels are a true bargain for what they cost and how they shoot.

Originally Posted By: lextywyi would try hart barrels i have real good luck with them on my builds.just my two cents.

Hart makes a excellent barrel but they only come in SS. Sometimes that's an issue and sometimes not.

Douglas makes as good a barrel as anyone out there. I have several XX barrels from them and they all shoot great.

You won't go wrong with Douglas, IMO.

I've only had one Shaw barrel that was so-so and it was in a 16" AR kit. The 20" Shaw AR barrel I had shot sub inch groups at 300 yards. The Shaw on my Mossberg .243 has shot many 1/4" groups at 100 and my 300 Win Mag with a Shaw has been shooting 1/2" so far with the first and only load I've tried in it. Those who dismiss Shaw barrels usually haven't used them. Are they a hand lapped Match barrel? No, but for a hunting or varmint rifle they will out shoot most peoples abilities...

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: KTM300I've heard shaw barrels are cheap. No better than any factory barrel out there.

I would have to say that you heard wrong. I have three rifles with Shaw barrels and they shoot superb. The .223 AI that I am holding in my avatar I killed prairie dogs out to beyond 700 yards with. My Model 1 upper came with a ER Shaw barrel and it will shoot 5 in a dime at 100 yards. I would have to say that ER Shaw barrels are a true bargain for what they cost and how they shoot. yup,had several shaw barrels and had none that were junk,is it a shilen,brux or any top barrel maker?no but for the price of a shaw and the caliber your having it done in,probably not a competition rifle anyways....my shaw shot good or should i say superb
IMG_1765.jpg

Last edited:
I have built 5 or 6 savages for a man and he only uses the er shaw barrels.... loves them and he is getting great groups out of them...

All meant is they are NOT top shelf match grade barrels, you get what you pay for. Mine was a copper fouling SOB, but shot great otherwise. Not the best out there.

I am from Ohio and own a few Douglas barrels barrels. I have never had a problem with any of them. You can send them your action for fitting. I have alway bought the XX barrels, air gauged.

I own a couple of rifles with Shaw barrels, and while Shaw barrels of the past 10 years or so are definitely better on the average than their earlier brothers, they are still a non-lapped production grade barrel.

I'd easily spend more for an air gauged Douglas barrel any day of the week. The Shaw barrels I have shoot fine for low volume hunting barrels, but as has been previously mentioned, they are not easy to clean. I'd rather send a bit more money and get a barrel that cleans up easily, especially on a rife that might get shot a lot in one day like you might do on a PD shoot.

Just my experience and opinion.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan The Shaw barrels I have shoot fine for low volume hunting barrels, but as has been previously mentioned, they are not easy to clean. I'd rather send a bit more money and get a barrel that cleans up easily, especially on a rife that might get shot a lot in one day like you might do on a PD shoot.

Perhaps the three that I have came off are a later production or something that yours. Compared to any factory barrel that I have even owned, by Shaw barrels are hard to foul and very easy to clean. My Krieger barrel does clean a bit easier yet, but not by all that much.

When I go on my yearly prairie dog hunt you can bet my AR-15 goes along and I shoot many a hundred round though it before it gets cleaned. Same for my .223 AI. I sure enjoy shooting a lot more than cleaning.

Back