6.5 Grendel Loads / Powders?

I an using lee dies, cci lrp, 8208, cfe223, hornady and aa brass, hornady 95gr vmax, 100gr barmes ttsx, and 123 amaxes

Cabela's is great! Ordered brass & manual on the 25th, at my door today.

Local guy carries but is out of stock of CCI 450's and AA2520.

I have at least 2 powders on hand I can try.

Hornady makes both a 123 & 129 gr SST bullet, amazingly their newest manual does not have data for the 123 nor discuss it in this round. I guess you could use the data from the 120 - 123gr table.

non-reloading questions:

what mounts & optics are you guys using?

I'm thinking to go with the Burris one piece tactical mount, it looks solid & isn't very expensive. Mostly I use Leupold 3-9x40 or some such, but for this am thinking maybe a BDC reticle? Possibly something from the Burris Signature line?

Money is an issue here, so $2200 scopes need not apply, LOL

I expect to part with maybe $200 - $400 for the scope.

I use Larue mounts but if I was going cheaper Burris pepr is good. I been using Weaver classic extreme scopes with great results. They are a little heavy though. I've been wanting to try a Vortex after the reviews and customer service reports in the optics section.

How close/far are planning to shoot? I'm finishing up a AR in 6x45 for pig shooting from 150 in (maybe going as far as 200). I'm looking closely at a burris ffII 2x7x35. They're dirt cheap ($150ish) but seem to get rave reviews.

At present my .264 is a bench queen and, given the pain losing a piece of brass causes me, will probably stay that way.
cry.gif

Last edited:
anyone crimping?

For bottle neck rifle rounds I haven't found any need to, mostly. The Hornady seating die has a roll crimp built in, I don't think the Redding die has anything.

Lee makes a collet crimp die for it, I've used these on other rounds but so far found no benefit.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishanyone crimping?

For bottle neck rifle rounds I haven't found any need to, mostly. The Hornady seating die has a roll crimp built in, I don't think the Redding die has anything.

Lee makes a collet crimp die for it, I've used these on other rounds but so far found no benefit.

I don't crimp any AR loads and have never had iany issues. As for optics, I have a Leupy Mark AR 3-9 on one of my calling guns and really like it, about $300 IIRC.

....I have been wanting to try some of the new 123gr SST's but have a feeling it may be a while before my local shop get some.

I've had some luck getting items.

I have 2 25 round mags, 200 95gr VMAX, 200 123 gr SST bullets and 200 129 gr SST bullets, 100 hornady brass & conversion parts for my dillon & a new hornady manual. Got 2 lbs AA2520 today & have 2 or 3 other powders on hand I can try, but still no CCI450 primers. Local guy carries tham so that shouldn't be a problem, just have to check frequently.

redding dies ordered from alexander arms but haven't seen them yet. no hornady ammo yet

it's insane how fast stuff sells out when it comes in any where, for any thing. I have midwayusa set to notify me when .224 53gr VMAX bullets come in. twice this week I've gotten an email in the morning only to find them sold out when I get home & can try to order.

My plan is to get various components & have loads worked up by the time the rifle is done, then use some factory ammo to get zeroed in before evaluating my loads.

still have to decide what scope & mount to go with. I'm thinking a Leopold Mark AR / mildot.

Stu, I load lighter bullets (90 gn speers, and 95 Amax) with H335 and my heavier bullets (123 gn lapua, and 129 sst) with win 748.

The 90 speers shoot best at 30 gns and just under 1/4" 3 shot groups

95 vmaxs shoot around 3/4" with 30 gns

123 lapua scenars shoot just under 3/8" 3 shot 30.3 gns win 748

and the 129 ssts shoot about 3/4" groups with 30.3 gns win 748

Is there a consensus on who makes the better barrels? I realize that is a subjective question, but there is usually a trend with the top performing components.

Back