What was the Winchester 43 like?

I'm hoping some that own and have experience can tell me what were the Winchester Model 43s like for accuracy?

I'm considering a 43 in 218 Bee, but I'd like to know what these vintage Winchesters were like. I've see mention of "poor man's Model 70" in ads, but is that really anywhere close to true?

Obviously the ammo is part of the equation, but what I'm looking for is do they have MOA potential, or are they minute of a bull's backside at 100 yards and it gets worse from there?

Many thanks.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous Grouse
I'm hoping some that own and have experience can tell me what were the Winchester Model 43s like for accuracy?

I'm considering a 43 in 218 Bee, but I'd like to know what these vintage Winchesters were like. I've see mention of "poor man's Model 70" in ads, but is that really anywhere close to true?

Obviously the ammo is part of the equation, but what I'm looking for is do they have MOA potential, or are they minute of a bull's backside at 100 yards and it gets worse from there?

Many thanks.
Grouse

The are very nice rifles. They have the old classical Winchester construction. It will sit with a pre-64 M70 very well.

They are fairly accurate, but scope mounts might be hard to find.

Groups should run around 1" to 1.5".

Many thanks, CS.

While the scope mounts may be hard to find, the buzzkill for me right now is the brass for the 218. As in there is almost none available and maybe it's just me, but I really have a moral objection to paying $100 for 25 cases.

I'm thinking of going the form-my-own route, but I don't really know how I feel about buying a rifle that will be months away from shootable.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseMany thanks, CS.

While the scope mounts may be hard to find, the buzzkill for me right now is the brass for the 218. As in there is almost none available and maybe it's just me, but I really have a moral objection to paying $100 for 25 cases.

I'm thinking of going the form-my-own route, but I don't really know how I feel about buying a rifle that will be months away from shootable.

Grouse

Brass is not hard to find, but it is not always available.

I have two rifles in .218 Bee... a Browning M-65 (a classy 1992 lever gun) and a Ruger #1.

I load the Ruger #1 HOT - up around 221 FurBall levels, with 40gr BlitzKings... but I am careful about loading for the M-65, and use 46gr hollow points..

If you do get the M-43, don't get heavy with the loads - and only neck size the cases.

I'm surprised Cabela's is showing it in stock. When I checked last weekend it was out of stock / no backorder.

As always, my theory would be to start at the middle recommendation and work up. I can't see any point in trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Trying to make something like the Bee perform like a .223 is only going to end in tears anyway and it misses the point besides.

The one thing I've always thought that would be interesting is if any of these early varmint catridges were made in a pump gun?

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseI'm surprised Cabela's is showing it in stock. When I checked last weekend it was out of stock / no backorder.

As always, my theory would be to start at the middle recommendation and work up. I can't see any point in trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Trying to make something like the Bee perform like a .223 is only going to end in tears anyway and it misses the point besides.

The one thing I've always thought that would be interesting is if any of these early varmint catridges were made in a pump gun?

Grouse

"... the bee perform like a 223 is only going to end in tears"???

I must have missed something.

I take it that you have a .218 Bee and speak from experence???

I have been shooting the .218 Bee for longer than I want admit, and there are no tears involved.

It is a joy to load.

I had a M43 in the mid 70s in 22 Hornet I paid $45 for, (a lot of money for a teenager to save up then).
It would never shoot better than about 2" @ 100yds no matter what kind of hand loads I fed it. It was a nice gun for my 1st "varmint" rig.
I traded it in on a .220 Swift M77V Ruger later on.

Originally Posted By: 2milehighguyWow, I just saw a pile of these at gun show ,including a few Bees. They were all north of $1200! Nice looking though...

Yes, the current run on black guns has lots of guys thinking a little to optimistically about prices. Currently there are perfectly acceptable versions available on the classified sites for 800, and I even think that is too high given the limited market for these early varmint calibers.

Grouse

I have a Winchester Model 43 in .218 Bee and have found that it is a nice handling, accurate, rifle. As stated before, if you reload, do not go too hot, as the Model 43 may not be able to handle it.

I reload my Kimber .218 Bee very hot and get some really good results using 33 grain V-Max on ground squirrels and smaller varmints.

Try 'Lil Gun or Winchester 296. Both are good powders and make the Bee a dream to load and fun to shoot!

Eric

Back