First generation Ruger M77 with douglas barrel

plinkhard288

Hi everyone,

I've come arcoss a NIB first generation ruger m77 with the factory douglas barrel in .220 swift. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these. I would imagine the douglas barrel would make it great shooting gun. Its my understanding that ruger went to Wilson barrels after Douglas and now make their own barrels. Any info would be great including a price range. I believe it was made in the early 70's. Thanks.

Brett

I had one of those. I have mentioned many times here that it was the most accurate out of the box rifle that I ever owned. I bought it in 1974 or 1975 from Carter's Country in Houston when I happened to notice one of the Ruger M77V rifles had a barrel on it a couple inches (26" barrel on the Swift) longer than the others did. When the clerk told me that it was a .220 Swift I knew I had to have it. I topped it with a 12X Leupold.

The first time that I shot it at the range (52 grain Sierra HPBT and IMR 4350 powder) I got a 5 shot group at 100 yards that could be covered with a dime. Think I was hooked? Yes I was! And it seemed to care not at all what load that I tried in it as they all shot wonderfully. What a gun that was.

Stupidly, I traded it off a couple of years later for another gun that I had the hots for at the time that I did not have adequate cash for. Of all the guns that I have used to own over the last 40 years or so, that gun is the one that I would most like to have back.

Congratulations on getting that fine rifle. Love it and it will love you back tenfold.

My dad had an early M77 Sporter in .308 with a Douglas barrel. The factory stock was the heaviest and most dense piece of walnut I've ever seen. That "sporter weight" short action .308 with a 2x7 Redfield scope weighed just under ten pounds! But man did it shoot! Dad always shot the 165 gr. bullets and be it a factory load or a handload that chunky rifle would zing them into itsy bitsy clusters. We both killed deer with it but it was so danged heavy dad got tired of lugging it around these Ozark hills and traded it off.

I have a Ruger 77 with a Douglas barrel...it is in .338 Win Mag...its my elk gun...and it is a great shooter...it packs an old Denver Redfield 3-9x40 scope. Got it from a friend of a friend and it is the standard by which I judge other hunting rifles...big heavy and accurate...only issue is that i greatly prefers heavy bullets...225s shoot well...but the 250s are spooky accurate cloverleafs at 100 yards...reminds me I need to reload some more .338.

Congrats on your find...you will not be disappointed

I have a 22-250 with the varmint barrel that really shoots. This is the tang safety model. How can you tell if it has a Douglas barrel?

Its my understanding the M77 was made with the douglas barrel from 1968 to 1973. After that they went to the Wilson barrels until 1990 and then started making their own barrels.

I own a M77V in 22-250, from the early 80's when I picked it up (tang safety) 12x Leupold. Holds a tight dime size group 100yds. I hope to never part with it.

T2G

I have a 22-250 with the varmint barrel that really shoots. This is the tang safety model. How can you tell if it has a Douglas barrel?
It more than likely is a Douglas barrel and if it's one of the early production ones and you look real close I'll bet you it's got a canjar trigger in it too

Back