.17 HMR, Good Coyote Gun?

I've killed a number of coyotes with the 17HMR, and had good results. I carried a 17HMR as my truck/tractor/4-wheeler gun and just happened to have it with me at the time. All the shots were a 100 yards or less. When I am hunting coyotes I use a 223, 22-250, or 243. Just because a 17 will kill them doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job.

At this point, whether it "is" or it "isn't" is irrelevant. But the fact that this question comes up twice a week is F'ing stupid, and it's always by someone who has either been here for 10 years and has 5 posts or someone who signed up yesterday. Put the results of a poll up as a sticky and be done with it already.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyAt this point, whether it "is" or it "isn't" is irrelevant. But the fact that this question comes up twice a week is F'ing stupid, and it's always by someone who has either been here for 10 years and has 5 posts or someone who signed up yesterday. Put the results of a poll up as a sticky and be done with it already.

Chupa

buzzkill
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyAt this point, whether it "is" or it "isn't" is irrelevant. But the fact that this question comes up twice a week is F'ing stupid, and it's always by someone who has either been here for 10 years and has 5 posts or someone who signed up yesterday. Put the results of a poll up as a sticky and be done with it already.

Chupa

Don't hold back, say what you really think.
lol.gif

It'll kill them, but a "bad" shot is anything that isn't a really "good" shot and the thing is going to the next county.

If it's what you have it will work, no it's not a good caliber for them. If you are a great shooter who carefully places shots it makes a big difference.

Take it to em.

Chupa

I agree!!

a local hunting guide was in the gun shop last summer telling the guy behind the counter that the 17 hmr was the best coyote gun ever! even out to 300 yards. i thought for sure he was just trying to get a response, but after a while i realized that he was just that stupid.

and that from a "gun guy" and professional outfitter!

The 17HMR is a little to much gun for coyotes.
My Red Ryder is much more fur friendly.

IT'S A JOKE!

DON'T SHOOT ME WITH YOUR 17HMR.

p.s. I traded my 17HMR for a 22Mag yesterday. I wanted something bigger than a 22LR but lighter than my 223.

Shayne

Josh, sorry for coming off a bit short earlier. Hope you can forgive me.

This question is asked entirely too often, but more importantly, the question is asked incorrectly. The .17HMR absolutely WILL kill a coyote, but the real question should be "Can YOU kill a coyote with a .17HMR?"

The hummer is going to be an unreliable killer on shoulder shots, so you're gonna have to scramble it's noodle to be consistant. A coyotes brain is about the size of an egg. So the question is "Can you hit a bobbing/weaving egg at 100yds?"

Chupa

Josh-Petree,

The .17 HMR issue comes up pretty often. I guess a lot of guys are tired of seeing it since there's so many posts about it. However, just keep in mind the old adage "there's no such thing as a bad question." Well, that's pretty much my motto if the question is sincere and if a guy is really trying to learn. That's what I taught my high school students too and encouraged them to ask questions when in doubt.

I remember when I first became a member, I asked the same question you did. The reason I asked was because I had no experience with the HMR or coyote hunting, and didn't know what to expect from the cartridge. I, just like you, wanted to know if it is suitable for the task.

I see that you have only been a member of PM for two days. As a result, you most likely haven't read many posts. There is nothing wrong with your question in my opinion. As to doing searches, well, I will have to admit that I have trouble sometimes with searches on here, and I've been a member for quite a while. Maybe I haven't learned the skill of searching like some have, so I just find it easier to up and ask. When in doubt, ask.

Not only will you learn by asking questions, you will also keep these forums alive. If all we do is search for topics and read what's previously been posted, then the forum basically becomes dead.

Now for my 2-cents worth about the .17 HMR. It's a wonderful cartridge for crow sniping, starlings, no doubt prairie dogs, ground squirrels, rabbits and such within the practical range of the cartridge. We (my son, buddy and I) have also taken a lot of groundhogs (which can be pretty tough critters) with an HMR, mainly head shots at or near 100 yards since the rifle / cartridge is capable of some good accuracy and flat trajectory up to the 100 yard mark or slightly further. We have had no groundhogs escape a head shot, nor get into the hole, but did lose one to a body shot.

For coyotes, I mainly use a 6x45 (.223 necked up to 6mm), and have taken some with a .223. I'm one of these guys who likes larger calibers. I've contemplated a .17 Remington as a good coyote, bobcat and fox round, but something in me says I need something larger for coyotes. That's just me, and I know a lot of guys use the .17 Remington successfully on coyotes. But, the HMR is no match for a .17 Rem centerfire.

My advice, don't deliberately go coyote hunting with the HMR, but rather use the cartridge for it's intended purpose, which is small game, crows etc. No doubt the HMR will kill a coyote as many members have attested to, but that doesn't mean it's what you should reach for when going coyote hunting.

Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your stories and photos - we all like photos.

David

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyJosh, sorry for coming off a bit short earlier. Hope you can forgive me.

This question is asked entirely too often, but more importantly, the question is asked incorrectly. The .17HMR absolutely WILL kill a coyote, but the real question should be "Can YOU kill a coyote with a .17HMR?"

The hummer is going to be an unreliable killer on shoulder shots, so you're gonna have to scramble it's noodle to be consistant. A coyotes brain is about the size of an egg. So the question is "Can you hit a bobbing/weaving egg at 100yds?"

Chupa

Very nice and good food for thought
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57
p.s. I traded my 17HMR for a 22Mag yesterday. I wanted something bigger than a 22LR but lighter than my 223.

Shayne

Now there is a smart guy!
thumbup.gif

PSS, The 22 WMR or the 5mm Remington RF is far and away superior for larger than vermin.

Wait until the "Super Hummer" from Winchester is out.... This will all start all over again.

IMO, if you want a 17 for hunting predators you should start with the 17 HH or that is to say, stay with a center fire in 17.

The "Super Hummer" is going to up the odds in my opinion, especially for fox.

Yes, this will all start over again, but that's a good thing, isn't it? Discussing a new round and it's potential is what this is all about.

Josh-Petree, welcome! This really a great place with a lot of real nice folks and a couple of old grumps!
thumbup.gif

I am one of the original..........old grumps!

The HMR question gets beaten up pretty badly around here. Sometimes we forget that questions are frequently asked because someone doesn't know and wants an answer.

The 17HMR, like anything has its limitations. So long as you remember those limitations and react accordingly, it is a great caliber.

Back