20 Tac 35gr Berger

gregs

Saw someone post on 35gr Berger in 20 Tac awhile back, anyone have any load data they'd share? Greg

Last edited:
Hi, Greg.

I load 35gr Match/Varmint Bergers in a 20 TAC. Lapua brass, Benchmark (Hogdon) and Fed 205M primers. The load I use chronographs at 3925. I generally don't push any load to the max, but this one is pretty close (which is why I won't share charge weight). My 20 TAC rifle is an early Dakota Predator, which was built with a Nesika action that I feel pretty good about pushing at the upper limits. I'm not sure I'd shoot this load in a Cooper 21, etc.

This is my favorite prairie dog load. In my rifle it will print inside .25in consistently, and I routinely bust dogs out to 450 yards with it.

It's been a few years since I worked this load, so I don't remember exactly what else I tried at the time. I do remember that I spent a lot of time on load development because the rifle showed so much promise out of the box.

I don't go nuts with all the little stuff like primer pockets, neck sizing, bullet sorting, etc. etc. I like to shoot a lot more than I like to load, so I want a recipe that is simple and fast and has a little "give" in it, since I only weigh one charge in five (if that). This one seems to be very forgiving.

Doesn't mean it'll work in your rifle, though. I never found a shortcut for ladder testing. When I tested powders for the 20 TAC, Benchmark was consistently the best performer.

Good luck with it.

I run a 20 practical in an AR and run 35gr Bergers over 26gr of benchmark and its flirting with 4000 fps thru my custom. Very deadly on dogs. 24" barrel.

Back