coyotes dont howl in alaska?

rimfirematt

Why dont I hear coyotes up here? I heard one last year by the airport, but thats it. I have been camping out here for 20 years and I have never heard them. How bout you guys?

The few yotes I've came arcoss here in the Brrrrr land (Interior)...I haven't heard any either.

My theroy is: That it's better to keep quiet to aviod competition for food. Let's face it there are too many other critters out there that love to steal and eat anothers find. Wolves, Bears, Ravens other unwanted yotes, lynx, ect. Like I said "Just a theroy."

But I am sure there is plenty of howling when they want or getting their GROOVE on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This year my last 2 hunting/camping trips the coyotes were howling like crazy. But prior to that I had never them. It seems strange to me also considering back in PA they yip and howl every chance they get.

I also have never heard coyotes howling, even though I've stumbled upon a group of them eating dying dog salmon in a slough off the Knik River.

I have, however, heard wolves howling. Not here in Mat-Su, but along the Yukon-Koyokuk drainages. They howled regularly, singularly and in groups, day and night.

I have heard them for years if they were in the area. From Seward to Mat Valley, and mostly late in the evenings untill early mornings.

I also think when wolves are in the area they are less likely to make a lot of racket.

JMO

Todd

That's probably the reason. They aren't the top of the food chain here...they are prey as well as predator.

Gonna try my loudmouth tonight. Hope to give a good tryout for fox. I'll let you know. What do you think...12 guage for fox at night or 22?

yeah I second the 12 guage. Ok here is another thought. How about howling for coyotes? especially in conjuction with rabbit distress? I have howled a few time but no luck... However I dont put much stock in that cause I dont have any luck anyhow

AK Yoter is spot on (as usual). I've heard them howl and even howled a few in, but NEVER when wolves were anywhere near the area. I've also found pieces and parts of a a couple coyote's that have been eaten by wolves. Coyotes also seem to come to the call real cautious like - but that could just be my "first-rate" techniques and not due to their being food as well as predator!

Hey MartyV;

hope you have some luck with the Loud Mouth Caller, let us know. Looked it over on websites, wasn't easy to get since they are selling them as fast as they make em. I bought a foxpro and am having fun trying to learn to use it.

Next on the agenda would be a remote e-caller. More money later...

Glen

According to FoxPro.com, yes we can get the remote installed on our new callers, I haven't found out how much though, it may be cheaper to buy the remote caller as a whole. I am going to ship mine back and have them reprogram a couple other calls on it, of course this will not happen till after the season!
As for coyotes howling? Yep I hear them everytime I go out moose hunting! The little bugers seem to know what time of year to anounce there presents and what time to keep hush! I have never heard them in the winter only in the summer/fall.

I have been down here on the Kenai Pen. for eight years and have heard coyotes howl quite often. Last winter we took eleven wolves in the area that we hunt/trap and quess what, we very seldom heard coyotes last year didnt hardly see any track either. On opening day I saw seven wolves from a ridge and not a coyote track within five miles. AW

NO Luck last night. Went out with my 9 year old and just spent an hour at two stands. It was kind of cold for him and we weren't too quiet. Lots of fresh fox tracks but didn't see anything. It is real brushy there and you can only see down the trails. I think I need a more open area.

I'm going to keep trying.

Back