AR Trigger Cleaning

FishSqueezer

Fellas,

Pretty sure I had some oil drain into the trigger group while the gun was in storage, because the trigger didn't want to reset normally at the range yesterday (it was cold)
thumbdown.gif

What do you recommend to remove oil & clean the trigger group? I'd prefer to not remove the trigger if possible.

Thanks in advance!

If you have something like BreakFree CLP try hosing the fcg down with it over a drain pan. Then blow it out with compressed air. You could also use brake cleaner, but that tends to wash every last molecule of lubricant out, and I'm not comfortable doing that.

After the flush/blowout relube and put a litte bit of grease on the sear.

The CLP flush, blowdry, relube is what Giessele recommends for cleaning.

What kind of oil got into the fcg in storage and how did it get there?

Last edited:
I have heard lighter fluid recommended as it is a diluent and will evaporate leaving only a trace of light oil. Not sure if that is the proper way for an AR as that was a recommendation for bolt gun triggers.

Thanks for the response guys.

Klrdrvr, I had a coat of MPro7 oil in the bore and on the BCG. I'm hoping this is what caused the trigger to not reset??!! I have a RRA NM 2 stage trigger. It finally turned cold here in Iowa and I probably need to begin running this gun dry (this is my 1st winter using an AR).

Venatic, think you are on to something...
Jewell Trigger Instruction manual "Cleaning: Flush after each barrel cleaning with lighter fluid. The use of lubricants is not recommended."
Timney Trigger website "Dip the trigger in white gas (Coleman Fuel), that will dissolve any varnish deposits on the trigger. To lubricate it squirt a small amount of Ronson lighter fluid on the mechanism."

Think I'll try some Zippo lighter fluid and compressed air.....

switch to a dry film lubricant. I really like birchwood caseys moly lube. comes in a small spray can for about $10. sprays wet then drys. doesnt run and doesnt attract or hold dirt and grime and makes cleaning bcg a breeze, I just wipe it down with a blue shop rag and re-apply lube. Ive ran my UMAR in temps down to about 10-15 deg so far and fucntioned perfect. i know thats not extreme cold but im not expecting any problems with it.

Midwestpred,

I'll definately give this stuff a try on my BCG this winter and see how it performs. Are these dry lubes popular among AR shooters up North?

Curious - do you use it on your trigger group as well?

I dont know if its a huge thing, i think alot of guys run them dry but ive always been one to lubricate moving parts and i got tired of oil running off into unwanted places. guy at the local shop swore to me I would never run any other lube in my ar and I havent since.

yes i lube the trigger group and ive started to use it on my semi auto 22lr pistol, couldnt keep enough oil on that thing and now i lube it 1 every 200-250rds after it gets cleaned my ar prob goes 150-200 rds between complete strip down.

STOS from Ponsness Warren is a superb synthetic lubricant. Very little is required. Stays put and works well at very, very low temperatures.

TCS,

I starting feeling the same way, so I called RRA today. The customer service rep (who was very helpful) recommended that I pull the trigger group out to see if a stray primer was lodged.

Just finished this process and everything looked clear of obstruction and the parts appeared clean. I double checked the trigger to see if for some reason it felt too light - nope, felt normal.

Probably give RRA a call back tomorrow.

MJ,

It is infact a RRA NM 2-stage trigger. I'm going to try it out tomorrow night at the range after taking it apart and cleaning. If it's still acting up, I'll be sending it back across the river for inspection.

All,

I wanted to provide an update on this issue and thank everyone for helping me troubleshoot.

Instead of shipping the trigger back to RRA, I decided to have a local gunsmith look at the trigger and he said it was good to go. It eventually became clear that the issue (2 rnd bursts or the gun would not fire - felt like trigger had already been pulled) occured only when temps were

Back