Useful .224 coon bullet

.17 Predator

After my initial trial last night I loaded up a few more 55 FMJ over AA2230 for coons. I have problems with the .22 rimfire not being enough at times and the .17P removes some fur-- I had tried the 20 Zmax with mixed results---slowed down it OK it is tedious keeping track of whats full power and whats not.
Killed 5 last night with the 55s and some were pretty close, no hide damage at all and pretty impressive stopping power. This isn't enough to make firm opinions but looks good so far. Need to be careful of backstops and ricochet potential.

Originally Posted By: predyotevarmintOriginally Posted By: SmokelessYou need a 22 WMR. That's all.

Or more practice with the 22LR for head shots.

Yes I could always use more practice, but when a called running coon swaps ends it is hard to find his head and I haven't had much luck with the .22 rimfire Texas heart shot on coons. I am up to 18 with the 55s and still no problems outside the obvious noise. You can kill them running away with confidence, I think the penetration is more than enough. I may try some AA 5744 and get the velocity down to .22 mag if reliability in the auto holds.

I have always wanted a 223 and load it down just for coons. A big coon can be tough to stop. 22 mag ammo is too $$$. You could load a 223 down to 22 mag #'s. Or load it on the warm side approaching 22-250 zone.
A kimber montana in 223 would be nice!

I tried loading down my 223 with h4895, still had a fair bit more stank than a 22 mag. I only had 60 grain bullets so 40 grain pills might work better.

The vmax is definetly out, I am selling fur and they want most of it! The buckshot works but the fur buyers frown on shotgunned coons, IC works best w/ buckshot by the way.
I have just lost too many coon to dens and brush piles after good hits with the .22 LRHP. The 20 vmax in the .17 CF works well but on doubles is a bit slow ( a.17 upper on an AR would be perfect)
So far the full metal jacket 55s have done a good job with little pelt damage and DRT performance even on escaping runners. I am running 25 gr. 2230 powder under the 55s and they function reliably.I think the fact that expansion is minimal is the key.

Originally Posted By: .17 Predator
The buckshot works but the fur buyers frown on shotgunned coons,
That's the beauty of the low pellet count el'cheapo 4 buck. Fewer holes and no raking of the fur. With this low count stuff your IC won't cut it, FC out to 20-25 yards and even close coon are sell-able. Buyers won't even notice.
I have just lost too many coon to dens and brush piles after good hits with the .22 LRHP.

Hear that brother, hard to stop a runnin coon that's close to shelter with any of the rimfires IME. Can't say as I care for sending FMJ's all over God's green earth especially with the possible shots up into trees though.

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceOriginally Posted By: .17 Predator
The buckshot works but the fur buyers frown on shotgunned coons,
That's the beauty of the low pellet count el'cheapo 4 buck. Fewer holes and no raking of the fur. With this low count stuff your IC won't cut it, FC out to 20-25 yards and even close coon are sell-able. Buyers won't even notice.
I have just lost too many coon to dens and brush piles after good hits with the .22 LRHP.

Hear that brother, hard to stop a runnin coon that's close to shelter with any of the rimfires IME. Can't say as I care for sending FMJ's all over God's green earth especially with the possible shot up into trees.

Go with the shotgun. I hope you're not shooting them out of the trees with a centerfire.

Yea maybe I will give the buckshot a look see, I need to check legality of it for coons. I know it is allowable for Coyotes in Il. I have shot a few with lead BBs and wasn't overly impressed. I remember one shot coon bailing and getting away.

What kind of 22 are you using,auto pump, bolt? I've killed them with the Aquilla [beeep],sub sonic sniper, that has the 60 grain bullet in a 22 short casing they are good for 30-35 yards and they will kill with a Texas heart shot.

Last edited:
.17 pred.
a good way to keep track of different power loads for a rifle is to color the head of the brass with a magic marker of nail poilish. thats what i do.

I use a 33gr HP over a small amount of 800X for finisher shots on coyotes. My full power loads hit about 2" high at 100yrds and the light loads hit dead on. Quiet, deadly and accurat with no pelt damage. Load data can be found on the James Calhoun sight along with light Bluedot loads. I use ballitic tips for my hunting loads and the large HP and how deeply they are seated makes ID even in the dark simple.

Originally Posted By: BearWhat kind of 22 are you using,auto pump, bolt? I've killed them with the Aquilla [beeep],sub sonic sniper, that has the 60 grain bullet in a 22 short casing they are good for 30-35 yards and they will kill with a Texas heart shot.

I uses 22 long CB caps. Sure kills Ohio coons. I have used 22 short hollow points but they make to much noise.

Back