Friction Tape in Rings ?

jimmyg75

Just wondering how many use tape in their rings when mounting, I personally never have used it. I know some guys use it, should I be using it, or is it not neccessary? Is there a benefit to it?
Thanks, Jim G.

I reckon it would come included with the rings. If it was necessary......

But, maybe all those ring manufacturers are in cahoots with the tape guys, and get kickbacks and commissions.

I use adhesive labels from wal-mart. They come in pieces that are precut about 1/2"x1". Much better grip and no more ring marks on scopes.

Pretty much use ZEE rings for all my applications too. Burris only supplies one pair of sticky paper with the rings so I end up using the sticky part of a 3m Post-It note on the other half. Works well.
Bought a used rifle with a scope and found tape inside the rings,,,sticky mess ! absorbed gun oils probably.

I have used a very thin coat of Rubber cement on the bottom of the ring, and in any setup with this, I have had no problem with scope movement.

Going against the grain here... I'm running the heavier Badger, NF, MK-IV, and KAC rings... the tape may be helping you to get by with ring marks... I've found lapping your rings to create more surface area touching your scope is the sure fire way to get it done... of course it may not be within others budgets, so tape may "have" to work.

I have also lapped the rings on 3 of my scoped rifles. I read about the rubber cenent trick about 25 years ago in a Guns and Ammo article.
It is an eye opener on one of my first lapping jobs when I made the first pass on a set of Warne rings and seen just how little surface was touching the scope, this was the only set of rings that were on the shelf when I bought a new scope so thats why I bought them. I have only had to do a little touchup lapping on my Leupold rings.

I lapped Leupold and Millett rings for years and it worked great.
A while back I started using Seekins bases and rings. After running the lapping bar a couple of passes in the first 3 sets and seeing almost 100% contact, I stopped even checking them any more.
I've used them on several expensive scopes and never had a scope to slip or show a ring mark. I do put a thin strip of clear shipping tape inside the rings. I can't say that it helps anything, but I've been doing it a long time and it hasn't hurt anything either.
There's another thing I do when mounting a scope that seems to help:
I put the rings on the base with all of the screws snug. Then I adjust the scope for eye relief and level, and then I torque the cap screws to the Seekins specs. The last thing I do is torque the ring base screws to specs.

Back