Coon calling and the 17 hmr?

dog lover

So what results have you folks had with the 17hmr for coon. I love this little gun, but will it anchor a well musseled coon with a good body shot if on the run? What do you guys think?

Yes and no. I've killed several with body shots and I've also had a few that took up to 3 shots. Coons are tough and I really think 22 mag is a better bet. I don't have one so 17 is what I use.

A buddy of mine killed over 80 coons 2 summers ago, and he used the 5mm Mag with the old Rem ammo and the 17HMR and he said the HMR worked as good as the 5mm. With the HMR he shot the 20gr. XTP and the V-max ammo. Don't let the small size of the HMR fool you because it is one deadly cartridge!Ive killed coyote, bobcat, fox, turkey with the HMR and it kills just as good as the 22 mag, and the 5mm magnum!And Ive shot alot of 5mms.

I say don't count on stopping a body-shot coon with one shot from a .17 or a .22 mag. It "might" happen - but don't count on it.

He'll die, if well hit.. but he may well run a hundred yards before he does. Been there - done that.

I am thinking about the same way. I'm in the same boat. I have the 17 and then my 223. Under or over, which way to go? I have to admit I have been amazed at the knockdown of the 17 with the right shot placement. I've shot 4 coyotes with good shot placement within 50yds., and none have gone further than 10 yds. But I always try to be ready with a follow up if need be. But I still respect good advice. I hope to go out tomorrow and get a chance to give it a shot!
lol.gif

Offered those choices I'd take the .17. If you are calling den trees there's a better than even chance you'll be offered a headshot before it comes to take a running shot. I don't think the centerfire is necessary. I carry a .22LR HP about 75% of the time.

Good luck - whatever you decide. It's a ball!
wink.gif

Hey! and welcome to the site!

About the next best place to shoot other than the head is in the neck,lights out, just a few kicks and its all over.But they will carry a body shot a long ways very tough animals.

Well got out this afternoon. Didn't get a shot but did call one out of a den tree. Was using fighting coons and he came out looked in that direction and took off the other way. He was having none of it. Looked like a young one. I don't think he wanted to get his butt kicked. Also called in the neighbors beagle. He treed my caller. Right at the base of the tree I had the caller set up in. Funnier than heck. Was a good afternoon overall.

I kill em all the time with the hmr. I use the hollow point or tnt gamepoint or what ever you wanna call em. Havnt had one run off yet. Flop around a little bit but they dont run anywhere. Shot one running mach 3 last year. He plowed dirt with his face.

Originally Posted By: dog loverWell got out this afternoon. Didn't get a shot but did call one out of a den tree. Was using fighting coons and he came out looked in that direction and took off the other way. He was having none of it. Looked like a young one. I don't think he wanted to get his butt kicked. Also called in the neighbors beagle. He treed my caller. Right at the base of the tree I had the caller set up in. Funnier than heck. Was a good afternoon overall.

They will do that as much as they will come running in. You need to be ready to shoot them as soon as they come out of the hole. They will usually pause for a second after coming out; giving you a shot before they start running.

Yeah it is fun watching them attack the caller or decoy but I am there to kill em not watch em beat up my stuff!
grin.gif

This was as much of a learning trip as a killing trip. Believe it or not that was the short story. I actually spotted this coon, rather just a patch when looking for den trees. This tree was an old white oak that had broken off about 20' up' I spotted just a patch of fur in the hollowed out spot at the top. Glassed it and could see it was just a small patch from a coon. Quietly set up about 20' away, but I didn't set up around the tree far enough. I Called for 2 minutes and he slowly woke up. I could watch his movements the whole time when he woke up he actually stretched and wiped the sleep from his eyes! I'm not kidding! He then looked around the side of the tree and could see the caller, my mistake! He still kept watching for awhile and then started down the tree. I thought he was going to go to the caller but took off in the opposite direction. I could have taken a shot but, I figure I learned enough from him to let him live. Plus I like to make a good clean kill when I can and this shot was threw thick brush and was not a good % shot. But like I said this was a very good learning experience! I told you the other story was the short one!

Ive called a lot of coon out of trees the last 2 years and only one came to the call and she was very mad. At that time I had an old call that was in a camo bag. She ran down the tree, grabbed the bag in her mouth and shook it like a dog, then ran back to the tree. Every other coon Ive called wants nothing to do with it. They run as fast as they can from it. Ive seen them laying in a shallow hole and shake because they are so scared. Its a lot of fun but dont expect many of them to come to the call. Just my experence.

I've only been at it two years also - probably looking at 150 + - . I'm like pro-hunt. The first opportunity I have to shoot them in the head, once they clear the hole, I take it. But, I have had a number of coon pop out of the hole - run down the tree and jump on the decoy (and I've had my pack attacked also
wink.gif
). Most of the "attacks" I've hd came from coon that came in from other trees. I do agree that many are wanting to get the heck out of there.

We had five peekers yesterday and couldn't get one to commit. I'm hoping the upcoming thaw will set off some breeding activity. We're fast running out of season.

I had 6 peekers this morning could not get one to commit for anything. I have to agree with Prohunt and Hidehunter shoot them as soon as they clear the hole. Most of the coons I kill coming to the call and decoy I have no ideal what tree they came out of. I have spotted some of them coming in from as far as 60 yards+. Some will leave the country no matter how big or old they are they just dont like the sound of the call.

Was out for 5 hours today and called several good looking trees. Only had one peeker and thats it. I found two huge cotton woods about an hour before dark and both looked like they should be full of coon. Killed 4 out of 4 in the first tree and 4 out of 5 from the second tree. I have no idea what the difference was, maybe the other good looking trees didnt have coon in them??? Or maybe its just better towards evening. I have no idea but the last hour of the day sure was fun.

We have has lots of peekers per commiters ...Went out on Sat. as it looks like the last good day til end of season. (Jan. 31) Got ice storm since Sun. morning. We got two and one peeker .Told my son we need to each get one last one which is how it worked. Mine came down the tree I was standing under while watching another tree . Did my worst shooting of the season trying to shoot looking down the barrel at 8 feet . We only had the end of the day to hunt so only got to go to one spot. The end of the season is a real bummer as it is still great out to hunt. We have been using the regular fight calls and the real rough sounding coon call on foxpro , like a mountain lion but is a coon , realy makes them commit compared to the regular lineup. We start up with single coon distress then to coons fighting and finally the rough one . If one is peeking , we switch back and forth between calls but the rough one always makes the difference. Glad to read all of the posts on coon calling and thanks for everyone's input and good luck "jonesing" till next season. Jim

I run hounds and kill hundreds of coons every year, all i ever use is a .22LR. Head shots only. And prolly 90 percent get one point blank in the back of the head to finish them off, even if I got a good head shot on them in the tree, tough tough critters. I would say a .17 would do just fine, but i wouldn't aim for the body.

Back