minnesota success

timmy140

This is my first year hunting I have done about 25 sets caled in four coyotes and killed three. Just wondering. How the minnesota boys are doing this year. Kinda thought. I would start a minnesota story board lol.

12 sets seen 2 no shots. Have run a couple out as walking into sets. Havn't been out as much as I would like and lack of snow isn't going to make that any easier!!

Originally Posted By: timmy140This is my first year hunting I have done about 25 sets caled in four coyotes and killed three. Just wondering. How the minnesota boys are doing this year. Kinda thought. I would start a minnesota story board lol.

Let me start of by saying that's pretty good, congratulations.

I added up all of your guys stands, and kills so far this season, and did some quick math on your coyote situation. So far, those of you who have contributed to this post have made 93 sets, called in 17 coyotes, and killed 7. Your overall success rate has been 1 coyote killed for every 13.28 stands, or roughly 7.5%. You have been seeing more coyotes than you have been killing of course, and are calling in a dog about 17.5% of the time, which is once in every 5.5 stands. Your kill ratio leaves a little to be desired, at 41%. At current rates 59 out of 100 coyotes will evade you, even after having been spotted.

Having hunted yotes in MN for almost two decades, I would say you boys are doing well enough, all things considered, and probably slightly above average for most callers. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that for yourself.

Good hunting.

My results are in my signature. All 3 I saw and killed were in one stand. Haven't been out since first of the year. [beeep] flu! Hoping to get out this weekend. Some snow would be nice.
frown.gif

coyote numbers in my opinion are down in minnesota this year, atleast in my area in central Mn. Have been seeing far more red fox this year than past years, even got 2 grays this year,thats a first for me. normally when we deer hunt, we see or push atleast a dozen coyotes on various properties, this year "zero".
So far pred hunting I have made prob 25+ stands seen 3 coyotes got 2 have seen atleast 10 fox shot 2 grays and 3 reds. I have been coyote hunting for about 7 years and have never even seen a gray around here till this year. Alot more coyote hunters in the last 5 years, thats maybe making a diff. Coyotes are pretty call shy by the end of Jan.

I have noticed a lot of misses also. Not getting after anyone but rather encouraging them to work on their game shooting. One reason I feel people should concentrate on shooting an affordable rifle with affordable ammo. A caliber that is prone to long barrel life and then get out and shoot from field positions. I ABSOLUTELY GARENTEE you will kill more animals with a 55 gr fmjbt. 223 bullet that's hits the animal in the chest. Shot from a Savage Edge/ Axis package gun. Than any miss, regardless if the missed bullet was shot from a 2,000$ rifle with a 2,000$ scope .
I'm pretty big on shooting balloons. Take 20 of them to the range, blow them up so they are the size of a foxes vitals and put them at various ranges. If you pred hunt from sticks or a bipod use them and start popping balloons. If there is a breeze blowing it is great practice for a trotting animal..
Sight picture and trigger timing are the #1 skill to gain when shooting game.

Back