is thermal legal where lights and light enhancement device are not?

the impactzone

Ok guys many states fish & game regs read no use of external light source or light enhancement device. So my question is Thermal fall into this as well?

I guess it's different everywhere. Georgia external light source are permissable. I use Kill Light, cheaper than night vision and can see just as good.

I guess my question is thermal Considered an external light source or light enhancement devise? I know its going to depend on the game warden at the time but in court I don’t think it would be as they are two different technologies? And having the information ahead of time may save you from going to court
Skypup where are you on this

Phil....

I would not consider thermal a light source. You are not "emitting" any type of visible or infrared light with a device.

The thermal is just detecting a relative heat signature and displaying it on a screen.

I think it would fall under any rules regarding the use of "Nightvision" devices though.

Oh yea......where is Skypup?

If you find the fine print it may also state no battery assisted scopes in which NV falls under in the regs.
Out here we can only use a flashlight for "saftey while walking" but dont get caught using it to scan around if you have a firearm on you, they will get you for spotlighting.
Private property w/written permission you can use them though.
Thermal is still using a battery & cant be used for hunting out here.

Thermal is emitting nothing, it is receiving high IR signature, just like a I2 Image Intensifier emits nothing and is receiving low IR wavelengths.

If you are legal for NV, then you should be legal for Thermal as they both are basically the same device, just receiving different IR wavelength signatures.

Of course, where night hunting is legal, it is best to talk to you local Game and Fish Officer about what you are doing before you do it.

I have talked and hunted with our regional Game and Fish Warden and they really like my equipment!
thumbup.gif

sometimes the best questions to ask the game wardens are the ones never asked.

I would say its legal under those guidelines. And i think it would be good for safety if you cant use a light or light enhancement device.

Originally Posted By: Mr Benellisometimes the best questions to ask the game wardens are the ones never asked.

The problem with game wardens is that sometimes you can ask the SAME question to different officers and get different answers.

my guess is that if you cannot shoot by moon light then you can't do it.

I also agree that if you ask the Game guys you will get different answers. This is why i ask them to show me the law that would prevent ____? then i can read and interpret the rule myself.

Last edited:
The reason I ask is I have friends in other states Kanas & Oklahoma that would like me to come up and hunt, and this is what I find in the regs off of high tech redneck home page, now Texas is not a problem as you can see you can even hunt exotics such as Blackbuck, follow, and axis deer at night with night vision.
I know it a fine line and one I may not want to cross or be the test case for but if it’s cut and dry that thermal is not a light amplifying, and it works during the day so it is not a night only scope? But then again you may beat the crime but not the ride, and god knows how those GW would love to have some good thermal.

Kansas
Night Hunting: Allowed for coyote & furbearers but no artificial lights are allowed. However, hand-held, battery-powered flashlights, hat lamps, or hand-held lanterns may be used to take trapped furbearers, trapped coyotes, or furbearers treed by dogs with .22 rimfire rifles and handguns.
Night Vision: Not Allowed, per the 2010 Kansas Hunting & Fur harvesting Regulations Summary, Furbearers and coyotes may be taken at night, but use of artificial light, including optics that project or amplify light, is prohibited. Website: www.kdwp.state.ks.us

Oklahoma
Night Hunting: Allowed for raccoon, fox and other furbearers. However, hunting of coyote using artificial lights or sight dogs from dark to daylight is prohibited.

Night Vision: Not Allowed, per the 2010-2011 OK Hunting & Fishing Guide: No person may attempt to take, take, attempt to catch, catch, attempt to capture, capture, attempt to kill, or kill any deer, feral animal or other wildlife, except fish and frogs or except as provided by law, by the use of a vehicle mounted spotlight or other powerful light at night, by what is commonly known as "headlighting" (or "spotlighting") or use any light enhancement device (night scope). website: www.wildlifedepartment.com

Texas
Night Hunting: Allowed, non-protected nongame animals (Armadillos, Mountain lions, Rabbits
Bobcats, Frogs, Porcupines, Turtles, coyotes, ground squirrels, prairie dogs) and fur-bearing animals (Badger, Mink, Opossum, Ring-tailed cat, Beaver, Muskrat, Otter, Skunk, Fox, Nutria, Raccoon) may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property. Contact the local game warden before doing so to let them know where, when, what, how and who is hunting. Night hunting is not allowed on public lands.

Night Vision: Allowed, not listed as a prohibited device per the Summary of 2010-2011 Hunting Regulations. Per consultation with Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept, it is legal to use night vision scopes while hunting at night for fur-bearing animals, nongame animals, and exotic animals & fowl (i.e. feral hogs). Website: www.tpwd.state.tx.us

Last edited:
If Kansas and Oklahoma do not allow the use of night vision devices, then I would say they do not allow the use of thermal devices either.

Back