Heard a pack of wolves Howling!

rimfirematt

What an awesome experience! Went to do a little night calling. I pulled into a promising looking spot, walked a little ways and made a stand. I called a little with the AP-7, waited and nothing came in so I walked back to the car. Just as I was getting my keys out, I heard an eerie howl that sounded very close by on the side of a mountain, then another on the river bottom where I was at. In the next, 45 seconds to a minute Howls erupted everywhere! So I walked down the road aways and got back to the river and began calling again. It was silent for awhile then I heard the wolf on the mountain again. I waited to hear for his buddies on the bottoms to answer, cause I wanted to get an idea where they were at. Unfortuantly they didnt respond. I sat there for awwhile longer, listing, shining my light every now and then, and thanking my lucky stars I had 10 rounds in the Bushmasters clip! I swear I could hear the whole pack circling me, I was getting pretty excited and nervous and strugled to hold my composure. I let out a little weak howl just using my voice, and a few minutes later one of them on the bottom and to my right answered! Again I waited, thinking for sure they will come now. I just intermintantly used my lights to search for eyes, my senses were working overtime and my nerves were on the verge of being over fried. So after 1 hour of making the stand since I heard the wolves I bagged it and went home, figuring the yotes would be well on their way out of the valley, or at the least unresponsive to a call. Man what an experience, I have lived here 20 years and have never heard wolves before, But this is also my first year of dedicating so much time outdoors. It was worth the drive just for that one stand. If I would have actually gotten a wolf I am sure I would still be to shaky to type this.

That's cool Rimfire, Our season closed down here on the 31 of March. My partner and I spent the last two days making squaw candy and jerky. The jerky was finished yesterday and man was it gooood! The red salmon squaw candy will be done today. I can't wait. I will be registering my bear bait in a week or so. Hopefully I can kill a bear before I have to go find a job. Take care AW

Back