Question about Lions and their territory.

varhunter

A couple months ago I saw tracks of either what was one of the biggest bobcats to roam Montana or a Lion. The general feedback I got from here was Lion so I'm wondering if anyone knows what a Lion's territory size can be. Do they keep a pretty regular territory or do they kind of roam more. Also if there is a Lion in the area what that does for the coyote activity. Does a Lion push out some of the coyotes? Any input is appreciated.

Anyone that tells you exactly what a lion ( or any animal) will do is a out and out fool.
Too many variables, like food/water, other cats in the area, males to females in the area, Breeding season, snow dept, Cold, warm, kittens, habitat or plain and simple the cat just does what he or she wants to do. You see animals dont reed the same books as we do and sometimes are unsure what we think they should do.
wink.gif

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/heliflyer100/IMAG0203.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/heliflyer100/IMAG0204.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/heliflyer100/IMAG0205.jpg

Here are 3 pics I took of one track, the glove is for size refference. Does anyone know if a lion pushes coyotes out of an area it's in? I wouldn't think a coyote would mess around with a Lion in the area, but I don't know much on the subject. I know you've said they are unpredictable, just like every animal but in the same area I saw the track, I'd also seen 2 coyotes durring deer season and I recently went to try and call coyotes there but didn't even see a track.

not that I saw, I was deer hunting at the time so I didn't spend much time looking for any other tracks. I posted these before and it was a mix of replies of big bobcat or small lion.

Lion pretty much views coyotes as prey, rather than competition. Same with Bobcats. Their interaction is different from the way deer respond to them, but they still see them as prey, not rivals. Not their favorite prey, and lions aren't bold, so a pack of coyotes is fairly safe, but that's their normal attitude towards them. Guarded, but...

They will flee from wolves, but coyotes seem to strike them differently.

Territory size varies wildly based on a long list of adjustable factors. Gender of the cat, size of the cat, age of the cat, terrain, prey density, lion population density, hunting pressure, civilization (although that is starting to change), etc. Etc. Etc. There is no fixed average. Dominant males have large territories, overlapping female territories, but rarely overlapping other male's territories. They used to say 5x10 miles for males, 2x4 miles for females. But that's VERY general. Figure females territories are roughly 20% of a male's in the same region.

Cat population is one of the biggest factors in the last 15 years, things are changing from the 'norm' due to increasing population density.

Transient cats (who haven't found a territory to claim yet) can throw off data, because they'll hang around until they're pushed out, then they can move a little, or they can move unbelievable distances. Takes a few observations to determine for sure that a cat is transient.

There's lots more to it, but that's a nutshell.........

Thanks rain, very informative. Cat, I've thought about it but the problem is the tracks were on a section of public land and knowing the people around here, I'd never see it again.

Back