243 powder question

Originally Posted By: kevlarsI like all the powder suggestions given. But, what bullet weights are you guys using said powders with?

Thanks for all the help,
Kevlars

RL-17 with 105s

IMR 4064 with 87gr. Bergers and V-maxes here. Varget and IMR 4064 with 70gr. NBT's before my rebarrel. Also had decent grouping with BL-C(2) and 65gr. V-maxes but didn't pursue it because the 70NBT were shooting much better.

H414....MY rifle loves it!!! Really all my .243 rifles love it. you can push mederate weight bullet fast with it. I have a Mod 70 26" heavy that has a deep throat and I load a 70gr nos bt out long. 47.4 grs of h414 and a mag primer will push it at 3750fps and no pressure signs. It is seriously accurate as well. I'm fixing to resight it dead on at 270 yards. which puts me every where i need to be out to 500 with minimal moa adjustments.

Originally Posted By: jhatchH414....MY rifle loves it!!!

My Remington Varmint loved it too with 80 grain Sierra's.
The IMR 4064 was a very close second place.

Are H414 and W760 temp sensitive? Wondering because this will be a hunting load in winter and will shoot paper in warmer months.

Kevlars

Originally Posted By: DarkkerYes, and sort-of.
Win 760/H414, is among the older generation of ball powders. It is sensitive to an extent, it isn't as bad as RL-22 in the 25-06, but still somewhat.

The other issue is the 243. As many many reloading manuals/labs have said, the 243 case is a bit of a screwball. The 243 has random pressure excursions, with everything, for no reason.

Starting this summer, and working into this winter I have become a fan of CFE223(SMP-842) for the 243 in a BIG WAY!

Thus far it is incredibly stable, and provides very fast velocities, without pressure issues.

Thanks for the info. I just posted about these two being temp sensitive, forgot about your post. Are they the same powder, or just very close in burn rate?

What bullets are you using with CFE223?

Kevlars

Sorry Kevlars, Been out of the country for a spell.

Win 760 and H414 are EXACTLY the same powder, made by General Dynamics in St. Marks, FL.
CFE223 is the Canister-grade version of SMP842. Otherwise they are the same. Read here:
http://www.gd-ots.com/ballpowder_military.html
Click on the "Ball powder" pdf in the lower right of the page.

Temp sensitivity, as far as powder is concerned is MOSTLY over-blown. Gun temps are what cause most of the havok.

I run 55 Noslers and 58gr Z-max's.

Originally Posted By: kevlarsI like all the powder suggestions given. But, what bullet weights are you guys using said powders with?

Thanks for all the help,
Kevlars
Re-15 &58g vmax@3710,75g vmax@3130
Imr4064-95g noslers bt's@2710
Working on imr7828 &95g nosler

H4895 for 65 gr vmax and 100 gr sp. Both shoot under an inch out of my savage. Plus I use it in my .223 with sub moa groups.

Back