Ruger 10/22 takedown?

I've got one and enjoy it. There is a cool factor that can't be denied and it is as accurate a other 10/22's I have owned. If the barrel nut tension is too light, accuracy is erratic. The only changes I would make would be to have a laminate wood stock and a take-down case that were just a bit longer in order to keep a common 3x9 scope attached. I have switched to a red dot scope so that I don't have to attach and remove the scope every time I want to put it in the case.

Good little guns. Standard Ruger reliable. Worth the money.

I got one as soon as I could. Just as accurate as any other 10/22, a wood stock would be cool. I reccommend getting one.

My brother got one for christmas, and put a nikon P.22 scope on it. Very nice gun, and a lot of fun. He doesn't have a problem putting his in the included backpack with the scope on.

I have one, shot it 30 times with the iron sights, and it shoots real nice. I will eventually end up putting a red dot on it or some better iron sights. Sweet lil gun for sure!

OK not trying to pee in anyones cheerio's here. I saw a commercial for one last night and I understand the reason behind take down guns, but why a 10-22? The case it comes in is not much shorter then my 10-22 over all, and you will still need a locked gun case to fly with it. If I was taking a 22lr on a hike I would want it read at a moments notice. The only thing I could see for a reason would be if you were taking a high power and a 22lr like that meat hunter guy. Please tell me what the benefit is of it being a two piece rimfire rifle. I am just wondering?

The thing I like is I can have it bouncing around in the tractor with me, protected in its case. It only takes about 10 seconds to unzip the case, twist it together and its in action. Also, it never hurts to have another 10/22 laying around.
tt2.gif

I traded a few 30rd AR15 mags for mine, only cost me about $100.
thumbup.gif

OK, I'm not putting it down in any way. I just don't see an advantage. Having it in two pieces on the truck/tractor floor in a bag is understandable. The commercial shows a guy going on a hike with it on his back. In my mind, any game I would use a 10-22 on is so small and fast I wouldn't want to have to take the extra time and make the extra movement it would take to put it together before being able to fire a shot.

Originally Posted By: MPFDOK, I'm not putting it down in any way. I just don't see an advantage. Having it in two pieces on the truck/tractor floor in a bag is understandable. The commercial shows a guy going on a hike with it on his back. In my mind, any game I would use a 10-22 on is so small and fast I wouldn't want to have to take the extra time and make the extra movement it would take to put it together before being able to fire a shot.

Take down guns have been around for centuries, both rimfire and centerfire. Obviously, not everyone saw the need or they'd be available by the truck load but takedown guns have some value depending on circumstance. While you may not need or want it there are many times when a compact, stowed away gun is the cat's rear end.

I like the idea a lot and when I see one in person, I may buy it. But I have LOTS of concerns about the 10/22. Namely, do I have to add an aftermarket trigger, barrel, and stock to get it to hit anything?

I had a 10/22 way back in the 1980s and straight out of the box I tried every possible combination of ammo. The best it would do was tennis ball sized groups at 50. Now kids, I'm not the best shot in the world, but if I can put 5 shots inside of a nickle at 100 with the Savage .22-250 I owned back then, I sure as [beeep] feel I'm entitled to say that that Ruger 10/22 was a POS. So I dumped it.

Then in the late 1990s, I got to thinking maybe it was just bad luck. Everybody seemed to love the 10/22, so I gave them another try. Well, the new one was better, but not very [beeep] much better.

Of course, all the 10/22 guys are telling me I should put a custom barrel on it, custom trigger, custom stock, etc and then it'll be a real shooter. Well, yeah, no schmidt Sherlock. If you rebuild the whole [beeep] gun, it'll be a whole new gun. Seemed like a freaking turd polishing exercise to me, so I sold the SOB off again.

Am I nuts for expecting that the take down will be any better?

To MPFD, I'd add that once upon a time, takedown rifles were much more common. The idea was to make a gun that was easier to travel with, both in a car and on a train. Since we're talking about a time before states required guns to be cased when in a car, once at the destination the gun could simply be kept assembled and used.

You'll notice that a lot of older .22 rifles had a takedown version and also, of course, many shotguns came with a takedown "car case".

The advantage I can see now is that it would be possible to fly with the gun inside a piece of checked luggage. Obviously, following all rules/laws, but there is no rule that says you must use a case that screams "Firearms Inside!".

Grouse

I think a take down center fire would welcome in my arsenal. The old Colt survival take downs would be cool, But I always thought they had a shorter barrel and were more compact. I like that one Rammer, but that looks closer to Massey red...
thumbup1.gif
Just busting your @@'s. I work for (AGCO) Massey Ferguson...

Originally Posted By: RammerMine just happens to match my Case IH tractors too well....

Get a red tractor and get some work done! Yeah.

How does the takedown 10/22 do off of the bench?

Grouse

Quote:The commercial shows a guy going on a hike with it on his back....Back in the day when I used to do a lot of wilderness camping, whether in a pick up or on a motorcycle, storage space was somewhat limited and a lot of 'stuff' was rolled up inside my sleeping bag...

I used to carry a take down old Winchester pump .22lr just for convenience and would put it together after my camp was set up...It was never intended for use while I was moving from point A to point B, but nice to have in the event of ???

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleQuote:The commercial shows a guy going on a hike with it on his back....Back in the day when I used to do a lot of wilderness camping, whether in a pick up or on a motorcycle, storage space was somewhat limited and a lot of 'stuff' was rolled up inside my sleeping bag...

I used to carry a take down old Winchester pump .22lr just for convenience and would put it together after my camp was set up...It was never intended for use while I was moving from point A to point B, but nice to have in the event of ???

That is the reason I am going to get one, put it in my pack while packing into elk camp or a hi Mtn lake etc, or just to have stowed away in the truck taking up little space but readily accessable for impromtu plinking or targets of oppertunity/small game etc

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: RammerMine just happens to match my Case IH tractors too well....

Get a red tractor and get some work done! Yeah.

How does the takedown 10/22 do off of the bench?

Grouse

I have only shot a few mags thru it at 20 yards and it stacked 'em as good as could be expected for semi-crude sights off hand. I might throw a scope on one of these days to give it a good shakedown, but it will have to warm up before I do that.

Originally Posted By: MPFDOK, I'm not putting it down in any way. I just don't see an advantage. Having it in two pieces on the truck/tractor floor in a bag is understandable. The commercial shows a guy going on a hike with it on his back. In my mind, any game I would use a 10-22 on is so small and fast I wouldn't want to have to take the extra time and make the extra movement it would take to put it together before being able to fire a shot.

Yeah you're 100% right...but it's still cool to pretend you're an assassin in the Bourne Ultimatum disassembling a rifle after a hit.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HereticOriginally Posted By: MPFDOK, I'm not putting it down in any way. I just don't see an advantage. Having it in two pieces on the truck/tractor floor in a bag is understandable. The commercial shows a guy going on a hike with it on his back. In my mind, any game I would use a 10-22 on is so small and fast I wouldn't want to have to take the extra time and make the extra movement it would take to put it together before being able to fire a shot.

Yeah you're 100% right...but it's still cool to pretend you're an assassin in the Bourne Ultimatum disassembling a rifle after a hit.
smile.gif

Dually noted!

Originally Posted By: dw32005I've also never been impressed with the accuracy of the 10/22. However it always hits minute of soda can.

Yes, that'd be about as good as I ever got one to shoot as well. It keeps me wondering if I just have bad luck and I keep getting bad ones.

Does anybody have a tack-driving 10/22 that came that way out of the box and NOT after a bunch of money spent on add-ons?

Grouse

Back