Question For RimfireMatt

Alaskan Wolfer

Howdy RFM, What model is your S&W handgun? What type of scope do you have on it? How much does she weight? I have been thinking about getting a Ruger Slab Side to carry with me on the trapline for spruce hens but I am open to suggestions.

Hi Alaskan Wolfer,

The pistol is a Smith and Wesson 22S (sport series)
It is stainless steel but has some sort of grey coating on it. The Coating is very durable and weather resistant. Underneath the coating is stainless steel. In short, the pistol can handle anything weather wise.

It comes with a Scope rail. and A high viz front sight. 2 magazines and a trigger lock.

I have had Ruger Mark II's ( not the slabside though) and I like the Smith alot better. Rugers have been sold.

Heres why I like it. EASY TO CLEAN. Takes apart for cleaning in about 30 seconds. About as easy as a glock. It feeds everything very RELIABLE. It has outstanding ACCURACY for the price. It gets 1 inch or better groups at 25 yards off of sand bags. IT came with a SCOPE MOUNT. Fully adjustable rear sight with a High viz front sight. The TRIGGER is very Good. Light enough to not pull off target ,but heavy enough to make sure you have a good shot before it goes off. The mag release, saftey and slide releas are all in very good locations. You can operate all with the same hand you are holding the gun with. You can get 3 different barrels that attach to the frame without having to buy a new gun. The lengths are 4 inch, 5.5, and 7 I believe. all bull barrels. Mine has the 5.5 Im not sure what it weighs but with out scope it was lighter than the slabside.

The scope is a Pentax 1.5x-4x. This has been a very good scope. I fell into a beaver pond and the whole gun got submerged, not a drop went in the scope, The gun was fine. I just shook it off, and fired two rounds in the ground to dry it out. Then I had it in my buddys back seat of his ford crew cab, he opened the door and it fell about 4 feet on the hard ice. There was a bunch of ice packed into the front lense. I just blew it out and dug it out with my finger. No damage, and the gun was still on zero. I am using leupold Quick release rings.

The way its set up, it makes for a somewhat bulky package, but I deal with it. I had a millet red dot on it and that was alot more compact. I just didnt like turn the scope off and on and fooling with brightness settings. Plus my dominent eye is my left, I shoot right. So My weak eye always made the dot look blurry. Thats not a problem with optics.

Well, sorry to make this so long, but I was in your shoes a few months ago. I really wanted that slabside, but Im glad I went with the smith.

Oh yeah, I got the pistol for 370.00, so about the same price as a slabside. Take care, Matt

Back