Reach out program

Redfrog

Well father and son Skaggs headed back home today, but we managed to get out for four stands before they left.
We started the first stand with a howl and had responses from two groups. One coyote came to 600 plus yards and sat in the snow. Would not move.It's partner stayed out of site and howled,challenged,yipped and yapped and would not show his sorry self.
We moved 2 miles south only to have another encounter with motor mouth. this time we did sight him running along a fence line gettin' outa Dodge.
Next stand nothing.
Last stand as we were walking away from the truck,we had three groups howl. We set up anyway,even though I thought we might get busted on the way in.
I howled and challenged and coaxed and finally had some takers from the north. We couldn't see them but they were coming in and were quite
vocal about it. We were also running out of time as these guys had to catch a plane.
I said we were done as I still couldn't see the coyotes and the clock ran out. I got to my knees and took a last look. I saw the back of one as it came in with it's head down. We waited..... nothing.call,challenge,challenge,challenge. One showed, skylined on a ridge and would not come in.I looked at Stephen and I said "That's your shot"
He didn't get excited or whine about it being too far, he just said OK. I told him to hold about 20" over his shoulder and kill him. The wind that had been at 20mph all morning had just about quit. He shot and that coyote flipped and lost the toss. :eek: We walked out 475paces :eek: and were still 10 yards from him. Because of the snow, I'm guessing an honest 475yd shot through the chest just behind the front leg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This sixteen year old with a 22-250 Weatherby is deadly combo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Congratulations Stephen.

The coyote was a big, old, male.Smart, but not bulletproof.

13 pounds? I have a Ruger#1 that seems a lot heavier. I just held on to the weatherby while crossing fences, but it sure seemed lighter than that. Nice gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Awesome shooting for that young fella! Those coyotes around your area aren't safe with shots like that. Counting myself and that young guy, you have hooked two of us on yote hunting for the future. Keep up the good work!

Remember, the only good yote is a dead yote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey Redfrog, I just assumed it was the super varmint master. If it was light, then that's not it. It doesn't matter though, it was still a helluva shot.

Well, Geez My shot wasn't as good as the calling that got that yote so close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks a lot for the kind words Red the trip was a blast and I can't wait to do it again. Maybe go after something a little bigger next time a little farther north? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The gun was a weatherby SPM Super Predator master. That's weatherbys lighter version on the varmint master I guess. I'm not sure what it weighs but with the synthetic stock and fluted barrel it's pretty light. Anyway I just got in and I think I'm going to go to bed so I can wake up and go back to the airport in the morning to go to San Diego. I will talk to all later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
YNH
Oh Yeah, I meant to say that my scope was set on 12 when I could have and should have had it up to 24. I guess I should cherish the fact I can see good enough at 12 power because one day I will have to crank it up to 24. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But that's not till I'm eating mush right Red? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back