looking to get started reloading

spkennels

Just wondering how hard it is to learn to reload never done it and dont have anyone that i know that does but thanking dont know if it is worth time to learn by doing or just reading thanks for your thoughts

Like someone told me when I started, "You'll save money". He lied! Reloading is a wonderful thing. Very enjoyable loading for each particular rifle and pistol. Get into reloading to expand you shooting capabilities, it's not difficult but you will always be learning. I've been reloading for over 30 years. An old friend gave me a pacific press that had to have been made in the 40's. I still use it to this day, along with the Dillon progressive.....:)

I would 1st get a fairly current reloading manual & start reading. Then I'd make it easy on yourself starting out, maybe some simple 38 Spcl loads.

If you use new cases for your 1st rifle loads you eliminate a lot of potential problems(sizing/fit).

You can learn on your own, I did many years ago. A fair amount of larger sporting goods stores also offer or know of reloading classes in your area.

However you start,go slow and cross check everything. For most shooting, 'max power loads' aren't needed.

Thanks for the help will get started looking is pistol,shotgun, or rifle a good place to start get all the shot shells i want

... start saving your money.

lol.gif

Really though, don't be afraid of reloading because you're without having someone to show you 1st hand. I was in the same position. I have been self-taught up to this point. Right or wrong I have had awesome results. Reloaded ammo is custom tailored for your individual rifle, resulting in much more accurate ammo. It is a simple matter of paying attention to details & being able to follow instructions. Always remember that things can go bad very quickly and keep a clear mind when reloading. You will do fine! Start reading and when your done ... read some more.

Good Luck.

Reloading is one of those past times that can produce many benefits...Even if you don't shoot a whole lot over the course of a year, you will find that you can develop loads for your rifle or handgun that surpasses that offered with factory rounds...

For those times when a type of ammunition is in short supply commercially, you have the ability maintain your own personal supply, usually at a much less expensive cost per round...

As far as basic mechanical items, you need a press, a set of caliber specific dies, a beam scale, a tool to seat primers, and a hand tool to deburr and chamfer the used cases...An inexpensive dial caliper is helpful to fine tune your overall length of rounds...The most important item is a good reloading manual that explains the whole process...Several manufactures offer kits at a very reasonable price that contain all the basic items...

There are a lot of items that help speed up, or assist in producing really high quality rounds, but they are nice to have, rather than "need" to have...

Some approach the reloading process with the attitude that the initial cost is not worth the 'savings'...I look at it as a long term business investment...Whatever your initial cost, I depreciate that over a five year period...Let's say that your initial kit costs $250...Depreciated at 5 years is $50 per year and your cost is gone after five (most basic reloading items will last a lifetime)...

If you have been saving your brass from previous shooting sessions with an eye to starting reloading, that is one expense you've cut back already...now, you only have to buy your bullets, powder and primers...If you watch for 'sales', you can save a bunch by buying more than you think you will initially need and have it on hand for future loads..

Years ago, I used to go through a thousand rounds per week in the weeks before a competition match...Now, I'm doing good to shoot a thousand per year...I have a goodly amount of reloading supplies that I've purchased at a much less expensive cost factor than if I went out and bought them today....

Like someone told me when I started, "You'll save money". He lied! LOL Agree with mikeGranger!!! Reloading sure is fun though. It's like when your mom used to say "Try It You Will Like It"

I love it and will never go back to factory ammo. If done properly and with some time you can turn your odinary rifle that shoots factory ammo say so so, into a real shooter. But be prepared to break out the wallet. Once u start and see some good and great results your officially hooked. Good luck and enjoy....

Reloading is another hobby/sport in itself.
Like others have mentioned, get a good book like the "abc's of reloading" or a good reloading manual and get to reading. These will outline steps and tools to complete those steps. You will start to get an idea of what it will take to jump in.
Also read these types of forums...lots of people with lots of experience around.
I'm glad I jumped in a couple years ago but I definitely haven't saved money!!! Maybe in the long run...

I agree to read some manuals firs. I have been self taught and not had any problems. I would suggest a single stage press to start with. also as far as saving money reloading, dont count on it. you do save money per bullet, but you end up shooting more. but man is it fun.

I'm another one that isn't saving money. But I sure do shoot a whole bunch more for my dollar!

When I started reloading a friend led me in a few directions on what to get and told me he'd be over some time to help me get started. Well I got home with my manuals(2), read em each once, read em each again. After a few days impatience got to me, I set up a bench and went at it.

My advice..... Don't worry about speed! Either with your loads or with your quantity. FPS are generally over rated, guns blowin up is not. Take it slow and use moderate loads.

Is it fun? I really don't think so. Would I do it if ammo was more in line with what I can reload for? No. If purchased ammo was only twice as much? Probably not. But when I can reload/handload for only 1/4 of the cost per round. I'll suffer thru it.

Quote:Do you guys just say your not saving money because the money you save is just put back into more ammo?...I'm sure I'm saving money by reloading and as an example, I reload .223 and .204 ammo for approximately $0.30 per round...my hand gun ammo is much less than that..

If I go out to buy factory, premium grade ammo, I'm going to pay roughly $1.00-$1.50 per round at a minimum...

I will acknowledge that I'm more prone to hit the range to keep up my shooting skills since I reload, but even then, I'm not necessarily shooting a lot more than I would if I had to buy factory...Only because I recognize the need to stay proficient if I'm going to carry concealed..

Compare reloading VS.buying ammo to buying your own car VS. taking a taxi everywhere.

Yes you will spend more money up front to purchase the equipment and there will be a learning curve on how to use the equipment.

But you will be able to load what you want, in the manner that you want and you will be able to do more shooting for less money once you make the initial purchase of equipment.

Now the question then becomes, are you going to be happy driving a Volkswagon bug or will you want the Lamborghini.

You can reload with a minimum of tools, but most of us end up upgrading and upgrading and upgrading. But that's the fun of it, you can take it as far as you want to go.

I absolutely love all aspects of reloading,even case trimming and primer pocket work.

I can honestly say I enjoy reloading more than shooting.

To me there are few things that I get more satisfaction from, than taking an animal with ammo that I loaded.

Ok that's kind of what I fugured. I got the RCBS reloading app for my phone and it says I am reloading 1000 rds of .223 for about $240.00. That is of course with what I consider the better of components then I would get in most factory loads. I think 1000 rds of factory .223 in the same bullet at the cheapest price I have ever bought it at would be $364.

Pretty good savings I think.

Originally Posted By: jarheadhunterOk that's kind of what I fugured. I got the RCBS reloading app for my phone and it says I am reloading 1000 rds of .223 for about $240.00. That is of course with what I consider the better of components then I would get in most factory loads. I think 1000 rds of factory .223 in the same bullet at the cheapest price I have ever bought it at would be $364.

Pretty good savings I think.

There's an RCBS reloading app? Cool, have to look it up.

Back