Baiting

DannyK, looks like the coyotes know where your bait is by the tracks. Stay after 'em.

Lefty, nice going on the fox. Good looking rifle too.

Kevin, DoubleUp pretty much said my thoughts too. The coyotes will have to get used to the bait site and your scent around. I've had a coyote or two skiddish at the camera, but generally they get used to it pretty quickly.

The latest coyote (above - page 89) in the video clip was up close to the camera, probably 10 feet. It looked at the camera while munching on the bait, but as you can see, it wasn't very alarmed by it. The camera does give off the red glow, but the coyote didn't seem to mind.

I stayed at the cabin last night, but nothing showed up. No tracks anywhere in the snow that I can see. I plan to stay again tonight. Debating whether to stay tomorrow night or not. Temps are supposed to be between 10-13 degrees and 5-15 mph winds. I think the cabin will keep me warm, but I'm just questioning whether the coyotes will be out in that kind of weather. Any thoughts?

David, the coyotes here get real active when the temps drop, too much wind though and they will lay low, but 5 to 15 should be fine, we had 30 mph winds last night with gusts to 50, and there wasn't much movement in the open areas but in the sheltered areas they were moving around.

Ive got a older cuddeback camera that has the flash on it, sometimes I will set it up over some bait and sit there at night, Especially in the winter I know that the deer have moved, when the camera flashes I then throw the red light on to investigate. Works fairly well.

DoubleUp - rough exit, a bit too much for fox, but I just had to christen the gun, heh. Will prolly save it for 'yotes going forward, and use the .223 for smaller critters.

Last edited:
Lefty, fox can't take much punishment, but like you, I'd want to get the new rifle blooded. The 223 may not do much better on fox. Hope you get to try it the new rifle out on a coyote real soon.

I've ruined several fox with my 6X45. It's just too much gun for thin-skinned critters. I think even the .223 will be similar. I'm contemplating a .17 Remington for a do-all rifle for coyotes, fox and cats. I really like something heavier for coyotes, but I see a lot of guys putting them on the ground with the .17 Rem.

Originally Posted By: nc coastHey guys, just found this site and am looking forward to sharing and learning. I'm living in NC and have just discovered the #'s of coyotes in my area and started concentrating on hunting them. I trapped fox in WV along with calling them in, but coyotes are new to me. I have now been in NC 20+ yrs and enjoy all the warmer climate has to offer.
Pard,
I know for a fact that fish scraps work. I started a pile 2 wks ago using catfish and saltwater fish scraps. Took 2 nights for the fox to start and 3 nights for the coyotes. They have been on it every night since. Just waiting for my scope light to start the killin. I stop at the fish house and get a 5gal bucket of heads & whatever is left. Where in NC are you? I am just north of Wilmington.

Gloucester NC, That's near Harkers Island

The old turkey call trick worked. Nice going.

You are right my friend, it's cold today, was 7 degrees on my back porch this morning around 8:30, plus we still have quite a bit of snow left over from the 11 inches we got the other day.

whacked him about 0930. I believe they are hungry and hunting mostly in the daytime now, due to the cold temp and the unbearable wind. It was in the head of a hollow out of the wind and the sun was shining in. Just don't think .223 has enough knock down on a big tough yote. Two different scales 42 and 43 lbs.
thumbup.gif

That's a big coyote for sure.

I haven't taken many coyotes with a .223, most of mine have been with the 6x45. I love the 6 for coyotes.

Brrr Wind chills were minus 85 degrees last night on Mt. Washington (25 miles from my house). Not a thing caught on camera, not surprised...

Last edited:
i have 2 carcasses out right now. one at my house, one at a friends house. nothing has touched my bait in at least 3 weeks, the bait at the neighbors house has now been there for a week. on day 2 there was one set of tracks coming near it, but nothing since. BUT there is a beef skeleton 300 yards away across the county road, and it has tracks every day. and it is just bones. they wont cross the county road.

i guess the coyotes just dont like me anymore.

have a dead calf out in one spot for over a week and nothing been near it -- not even a crow -- when crows find-- coyotes won't be far be behind. put a box of butcher trimmings in another place -- 2 days and yotes on it. -22 already tonight with light wind -- coyotes will be active -- they were last night.

Back