Inducing Wolves to Howl

shorthairs

We know that a coyote will howl when they hear a siren, train whistle etc. Is there any sound that will induce a wolf to howl?
Kent

Shorthairs, This past winter I had the opportunity to be in close proximity of wolves several times. On more than one ocasion we got them to howl for us. We just howled ourselves. Make it a long howl (about 5 seconds) start in the gut (real deep and low) and get higher as the howl goes on. It worked for us. I wish I could better describe how to do it. Once this season we spooked the pack and they scattered in all directions. We waited a few minutes then my partner howled. The wolves (at least six) were surrounding us on the ridge tops. It was awesome.

hey alaskan wolfer, i too would like to get into some wolves up there in alaska. is that pretty common to go wolf callin up there? me an some buddies are thinkin about makin the trek from ND, let me know whats goin on up there in one of God's greatest states.

Ticker.223, Howdy friend. Although I have been calling for many years, I am new to calling wolves. It has been my experience that they are not as willing to respond to a call by coming in as a coyote is. I'm sure part of this is due to the fact that I haven't figured it out yet. I will. When I decide to learn how to do something, I do what it takes to become better than average. For example, before this year, I had only caught one wolf. This year my partner and I set out to learn how to catch wolves. By the end of the season we caught 9 and shot one. As I figure out how to call them I will keep it posted as to how it is done. A.W.

Gentleman thank you for the replies. Now for the big question. I live in Wisconsin and would make a trip to Alaska to hunt predators, wolf, lynx, wolverine, etc. Any suggestions as to when to go and where. I could afford to be flown in or to even float a river. Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated.

Shorthairs, You will need to cunsult the Reg's. for open seasons. Wolves and wolverines are prety much the same season from year to year. Lynx are a different story since they are cyclic. I would probably consider units 13 and 16. I haven't yet hunted those units but I plan to quite extensively next year. As I learn more I will point you in the righ direction (kind of).

I am leaving for unit 13 tomorrow morning. Well play around with my FP on wolves/yotes. IT will be our first serious (well as serious as we get) trip with the FP.

For anyone coming up from the lower 48 a copy of the current regs is a MUST. As it was said eailer the seasons change from time to time and each area can be different. For the most part if you can float on a river the seasons will be closed for most if not all predators except bears.

I have had alot of luck calling wolves with just my mouth. Had them howling at me just a month ago on the line. With just a 22 pistol and being by myself I left it alone.

God Bless America
Trapper_1977

Back