Ready to give up

4 weeks now and nothing. I drive two hours each way to call and for the last four weeks I haven't seen anything except for today when i was ready to give up i saw a coyote about one third of a mile a way so I drove past him and he took off into the bush. I drove to the other side of the bush and tried howling and distress calls but nothing. This is getting a little old already.

dont give up yet man. I have been trying since october. Last week I saw my first set of eyes in the spotlight. I hesitated though and he got away. I am re-jazzed up again. All its gonna take is the first one and you'll be hooked. This is a very challenging form of hunting in some areas. Try different locations, different times. i tried it once at night and geez it felt like i was swamped with critters. I saw the one and heard two others on another stand that same night. Dont give up!

When I get downcast like you are now, I try to put as much energy into the enjoyment of the scenery and the calming effect of the peace and quiet.

I go to the woods even when I'm not hunting just for these reasons. My Unlce told me once that he thought that the closer a person got to nature the healthier and happier he became. Don't know if works for everyone but it has worked for Uncle Clant. He's somewheres around 80 and still travels the country as a speaker at meetings for his company. And its rare in my life that I have ever met a trulier happier man than him. So his advice at least works for him and seems to be helping me also.

Hey Greg, I'm tied up for a week or so, but I'll be in touch after that. At least then when we get skunked we'll have some sympathy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm kidding of course, I never get skunked.HOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well that's not really true either, I remember back in '67 or was it '68........Hmmmmm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll be in cold lake for a few days,for wolves. That area around Plamondon is pretty skinny for coyotes There are a lot of trappers around there. We only saw 4 coyotes and one wolf in a whole day. There should be more coyotes in that fringe country where the ranches meet the bush.Looks like good country.

4 weeks, thats easy I`m going on my 2nd year at this and have not had a kill yet.Keep at it because sitting in the woods beats sitting in the bar. It gives me something to do in the winter time and gets me away from the family for a day or to. Dad needs his time too. Sure I get frustrated some times but when I get out there I enjoy the good or bad weather and it is cold out it is so nice.

Back