first trip calling - advice?

EXPRESS

I am about to leave for my first calling expidition to Canada. My previous calling experience has been calling foxes in Australia with the good old button whilstle, which one one night got me 7 foxes at the one stand all together, spread around me at different intervals of distance. Without having to to move I managed to get them all!!! They were all youngsters and I was using Winchester (22rl)subsonics, so they didn't spook much at the shots.

Now I am off to Alberta looking for bobcat, wolf, coyote and if we can get the tag in time, maybe a cougar too.

I have nagged and interrogated my outfitter enough by this stage, so I thought it might be a good idea to consult the forum.

Any tips on shooting, movment, any thing I should know before I get out there and do this?

I figure I know what I need to for very basic stuff, remain very still, no sudden head movements, take time with shots (just how much time do you usually get for a shot?)
Try to memorize the gournd before me so as to be able to pick out anything that "wasn't there before" all that kind of stuff I have read so far on PM.

Anything I might find usefull is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe.

Wow! An Aussie in Italy going to Canada to shoot Predators. I want your life man, that sounds too cool. Anyway, it sounds like you're going with a guide so he'll probably do all the calling. You get to just sit down and shoot things, cool. Time on shots could be from no time to forever, depending on how far and how fast. That's the great thing about this stuff, you never know. If you take a .22 mag they'll hang out at 200 yards. If you take the 220 Swift with the 20 power scope, they'll be runnin crossways at 20 yards. It's all good though. Have a great time, and don't forget to let us know how it goes.

Tonlocus, that's about it!
I would like to give calling one in for myself a try, I think my aussie whitstle would work pretty well, plus I found my "mouse" call, which would be good for stopping them and/or getting them in real close or keeping their attention.

I am taking a 6ppc, loaded up some 55grain ballistic tips for the yotes and bobcats, and 70 grain ballistic tips for the wolves and the eventuallilty of a cougar.
I played around with these loads till I got .5MOA or better and am fairly confident with the rifle. The point of impact is virtually the same with either load so I won't need to re-sight, but have to further confirm this at the range.
Up on top there is a variable 3.5 - 15 x 56 power scope, tatcical reticle.
I have my P.O.I. plotted out along the reticle out to 400m, so the gear should all be up to the task.

I'll do my best, think I gonna have a real good time.

I'll post about it when I get back.

Regards,
Joe

Canada huh? Alberta? Ok, this is my experience with Canadiens from Alberta....Make sure you wrap your wallet with a rubber band, it makes it more difficult for, well...it to become missing. Sleep with your valuables, fully clothed and on your back.....wink wink nudge nudge say no more..

Don't drink anything that has a Moosehead on it. If the talk around the campfire turns to farm animals, excuse yourself and run.

Understanding the Canadien: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Aboot=About
Sohrree=Sorry
Boddle=Bottle
Fillum=Film
Rubbers=rubber boots
"No Doot Aboot It"=No doubt about it...
Eh= what did you say?
Eh?= what do you think
EH?= something to say just to end a sentence
Eh!!= WOW!!
EH!?= what do you mean?
Eh??= your joking!!!??
EH!!= Hello..you off in the distance!!!
Eh?= want a donut?
Eh!= sure!!
Eh!!!!=Your fly is down
Eh=I know
Eh!Eh!= coffee double cream too please!
Eh?= what you say when you realize you have no money to pay for it
Eh..cmon eh?= asking them to let you pay for it next time.
hey..eh!= want to go to the drive in movie??
Eh...uhuh= yes sure!
Eh..y'know= Ill pick you up at 8
Eh..cmon!!= well thats early..but ok
Eh..wanna?eh?= lets fool around
EHHHHHHH= sounds coming from the car
hey..um..er eh...= Im pregnant
Eh!?!?!?=You're what?
EH?????????= how did that happen?
EHHehhEHHehhEHHH= sounds from the delivery room
EHHH ehh EHHH ehh= babys first cry
Ehh..whadya think eh?= marry me
Ehhhhhhh=Not my sister you won't

hoser= a good friend..
take off!= you are kidding,no way,fly an airplane
skates= what all canadians wear as first shoes
lumberjack= something in their genes..
screech= a nice drink
swish= a drink made from leftover screech barrels
The Rock= Newfoundland
Newfoundland= pronounced noofunlan
Dory= Newfoundland cruise liner
Toronto= pronounced Trawna
Lake Ontario= where all sewers drain into
Yukon= a drink
Two Four= case of beer
sixty pounder= large bottle of screech
Over by= still havent deciphered that term yet

Canada's contribution to the War on Terrorism:

They have pledged 2 of their biggest battleships, 600 ground troops and 6 Fighter jets.

After the American exchange rate they ended up with 2 mounties, 1 canoe and a flying squirrel.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Joe,
It sounds like your good to go. I've never heard of an Aussie whistle so I don't know what it sounds like. But as long as it sounds like some poor hurt critter beggin for someone to put out its lights then it will probably work. Re- zeroing is a very good idea when you get to Canada. Temp, humidity, & altitude will definitely effect your loads. Also I'd invest a couple bucks in a few backup calls just in case your wistle doesn't do it for the Canadian critters. If you're not familiar with open reed calls then get a couple closed reed calls from Sceery or Circe with an instructional tape on how their supposed to sound. You may not need them, but their not that expensive. Again, good luck.

Sorry to hear about the basic disarming of you're entire law abiding population. I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound, and I don't know exactly how you're government works, or what the laws really are now, but I'm under the impression that the gun control got a little crazy over there. What happened in Australia is starting to take place in the very country you are about to visit as well, Canada. And the pressure is on here in the U.S. also. I just wanted to ask you to please tell every Canadian, (or American) you see what happened in Australia, because left unchallenged it can and will happen in both Canada and the U.S.
Other than that, make some fur fly. Good luck.

I love animals, they're delicious

Back