Ontario, Canada Hunters

Holdengr

I posted this earlier on a different section.

Does anyone from ontario do the yote calling thing. I have hunted yotes with dogs (to much driving around for me!!). I'm going to give calling a try. I think the million miles of hydro corridor up here should provide a good start. I would be interested in hearing some how's and wheres of anyone who has hunted coyotes or wolves in Ontario.

hey Holdengr

I hunt them down here in the Barrie area and have had pretty good luck with them,as I am only 3hours or so drive from you and I kinda know the teraine I would love to help ,what kind of set up are you using now? and we will go from there

or you could come down here and we could do a hunt on my stomping grounds if you like?

eather way i would be happy to help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jonathan
Ps if you do not know where Barrie is it is about 40 min south of Orilia. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Right now I just kinda walk up the powerline into the wind until I hit a good vantage point. (Terrain is verry hilly +/- 400meters) Then I sit and call for a while, maybe 25mins. Then I carry to the next vantage point and so on until I hit the highway, or I turn back and walk out. I have only seen a wolf (I think I spooked) at about 2.5km away and leaving, as well as a two bull moose 2 cow moose and several deer. The amount of fox tracks in the area is encouraging, the coyote tracks are few and far between, and the wolf track in the area are always just a loner passing through at a good pace. I have my rifle zeroed at 150yds so I'm ok for a long way out. I just cant seem to call anything but ravens.

first of all ,watch thouse ravens because for every coyote I have called to a kill,I have seen
later evedance from tracks that I have had many more hold up in the timber and usaly the crows
and ravens follow coyote and wolf on the hunt looking for free handouts.

second;what kind of call are you using and how long and loud are your sequiences?

and last but not least how are you geting to these clear cuts and what time of the day?
are you being real sneekelike or driving a sled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I find that some of my spots require diferent sounds or diferent times of day ,morning/eveing

when in dought sweat the small details.

hope this is at least a start .....and my offer still stands if you are interested ,my bait pile has been hit every day for a week by atleast four diferent coyotes ,from the tracks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Jonathan

I use a couple of sceeries. and a quaker boy rabbit an a QB howler. I start out about an hour before legal. I walk up one side of the 200 meter wide hydro corridor just inside the bush. Trying to be quite but you know how it goes in 3ft of crusty snow. I call for about 5 minutes starting softly and getting louder then softer again. I try not to use the howler as much as the rabbit and fawn calls. I'm afraid the fox are used to being preyed on by the wolves and the howler will send them in to a dead run in the opposite direction.
As for the hunt in Barrie, Due to work the next time I get out the coyotes will be wearing sun screen. I will be going to Colorado in march for work and I'm hoping to get a guided hunt set up for one day at least. Thanks for the offer though. Maybe next year I can locate a moose carcass (dead of natural causes or a wolf kill of course) up north and we could go for some timbers over it. I know a guy up north who seems to be on a first name basis with the moose and wolf population. If a moose goes down he knows.

Best of luck on the south of the border hunt,as for your set up it sounds perfect to me all I can say is keep at it......maybe try just lip squeeks or something real different like a crow in distress???? could work

as for the wolves over a carcase (wow) that would be awsome and other then a black bear
and a Moose, wolves are right up there on my have to harvest list....Do you like to hunt Geese?????? I do a bit of guiding for them
and I do not to shabby...225++this past season
myself,not including clients kills /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
perhaps we could do a swap hunt ?? if you are game and can swing it time wise?

Don't work to hard!,I know what thats all about
just started a new job at a feed mill and I can hardly move ....50hours a week min flipping 88lb feed bags...ouch............Jonathan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back