Cold? battery powered socks?

EXPRESS

I am off to Canada for wolf, coyote, bobcat and maybe more if we can get the tags worked out.

My problem is that I don't take to the cold very well. it just my hands and feet that bother me.
I am considering getting a pair of those battery powered socks that work your feet. I will be using ski gloves for the hands so that shouldn't bee much of a problem, and I have re-usable chemical bags to keep in my pockets of slip into the gloves should they get cold.

Has anybody here had any experience with these battery powered gadgets? are they worwhile and do they feel uncomfortable in your boots?

Thanks

Thanks 12gauge, that is very similar to the other reports I have heard about these gadgets.

I got a tip off about this mob and gave them a call:

http://www.arcticshield.com/home.htm

The bloke was very helpfull and their gear looks to be top of the line.

I have ordered boot insulators, system gloves & neck warmer. They will only charge me $6.50 shipping if I can have it shipped to Canada and pick it up on arrival!

I've always had trouble keeping my toes warm while deer hunting. Even in the relatively mild winters we have here (in the 20's is cold for deer season). I finally found my solution. I bought a pair of insoles to go in my boots, they have a void under the ball of your foot and your toes. You slip a foot warmer (it must be a foot warmer, it works off less oxygen, but don't try to use it on your hands) in the void and put your boot on. I just found this item towards the end of season, but the last two days I was out, my toes were happy. Battery powered socks drain batteries quickly, you have to carry two D cells around, they don't fit me well, and they don't fit as well as regular socks. I haven't had to walk far on the foot warmers, I'm not sure how they'd do for that.
Jim

I love the charcoal foot warmers. Whenever I hunt in the deep freeze I use them. Walking in them isnt a great idea, I usually put them on when I get to my stand. If you wear them walking your feet will sweat, and thats bad news.

I have the same problem with my feet getting cold. About 5 years ago I started buying boots that have two pieces. I've had two different brands. They last 2 or 3 years. The pair I'm wearing out now are Naturmania with Thinsulate liners. The outside boot has a rubber bottom &
nylon top. The liner boot, the thinsulate part comes out to dry it at night. good to -85 deg. c.
unless you forget to dry them the night before.
I can trudge through snow all day! I don't think the brand name makes any difference in warmth just how long they last. The size makes a difference though. You need a little air space. I don't ware wool socks, that takes up my air space and my feet will get cold. Just regular socks work great. The first time you forget to dry the inserts, you'll see what I mean about getting cold. Good luck;

You must move your feet. Period.

Slowly wiggle your toes as soon as you sit down and don't stop. If its -15`C I must do this to keep warm. It doesn't seem to matter how much clothes or type, I can only be totally motionless for maybe 15 min max in that temp before the toes start to go numb, 25 if I wiggle.

Gloves are BAD in cold weather

Mittens are warm. Consider shooters mittens

Back