Calling up north.

Mike in Gilbert

I went out calling last night. -5 degrees, 5 to 10 mph breeze, full moon. I have a cd player hooked up to a musical bull horn, playing baby rabbit sqeals. I set up in the middle of a 10 acer field, full camo, with my back to a white pine, some what in the center of the field in NE MN. About 8 minuets into the calling sequence I could hear yotes howling in the back ground some distance away. Continued sequence for 50 minuets. Never saw a yote. Should I be set up in a less open area, or maybe a howler will help. Yet to have bagged a yote, the tracks are there, I can hear them, just cant put one down. Could use some help. Any one else taken yotes in NE MN.

Welcome to the board Mike. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Sometimes when I get a howling response, but they are far away, I'll move closer. Watch your wind and approach and set up and call again. Quite often they will come a 1/2 mile but wouldn't come a mile for a free dinner.

I agree with the first 2 posters. If they are at a distance of more than a half a mile try getting closer to them. Next watch your volume, if they are close your more likely to spook them. Next how long are you calling at one time? Did you call continually the whole 8 minutes or 50 minutes? Try calling for a minute then wait 20, if nothing comes in give it one more shot wait 15 minutes tops and then move a few hundred yards and try again. Calling is only a small part of the game, the biggest part is your setups, if you don't do that right all the calling in the world isn't going to help you. The hardest one to get is the first one.

Back