Joke?

Originally Posted By: SHamptonHere's my opinion.......... If you don't have enough coyotes to train a dog you can't justify having one. It's not fair to the dog.

i am on the same page Scott!! if you arent able to put alot of coyotes in front of a dog, then dont be mad at the dog if he regresses in his job.

Jglynn, not busting on you, you made the comments you made, I responded, no hard feelings.For a guy that has done it a certain way, had some of us go to war for ya, you have got really smart in the last three months.I'm glad things are working out for ya, but as for how easy it is???? How the [beeep] do you know????? Someone else has done all the work, all you have done is hunted the dog alittle, before you thump your chest, realize, you owe some credit to other guys.You start talking about how smart you are cause you killed a few coyotes over a dog thats sitting by ya, and wanna bust the balls of other guys that have done it for 10,15,or 20 + years, you may get a free pass from some ,but not from all.I didn't wander into this post, I beleive the reason I responded was because a member said " If I got a dog from Duane it would not be an issue" Maybe my quote is off, but you get the point.

Duane you are Pi$$ing in the wind on this one my friend, Pi$$ing in the wind. You can't pound a round peg into a Square hole.
You need to go back to what you know ( killing Coyotes with dogs ) and leave this decoy stuff to the experts
wink.gif

Besides he might Kick your skinny little cowboy butt like he told me.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

After reading 5 pages of posts. Now I know why this thread is called Joke? Because that's what this forum is turning into it. I haven't posted much in the past few months because I found out I don't know [beeep] about decoy dogs! With all the new experts, I need to just sit back and listen. When guys that have been doing it less then a year are getting smart to guys that have done it 10+. I guess I need to get my P.H.D and then I can post about how to do things too.

Nope Devin, that is only reserved for you.ha.

Duane, I am not saying that i know more than you or kill more than you, ect. But I have put more coyotes in front of him than anyone that has had him in the past. I said in the earlier post that what I wanted out of my dog is simple compared to what some of you guys want out of your dogs. I am not wanting my dog to work coyotes, hogs, coon, badger, cows, cats, and other things. I want one simple thing. Go to a coyote when he sees it and come back to me. You tell me how that is hard??

Now will my dog get me more coyotes than yours, nope. Am I fine with that, yep! Does my dog sit by me while calling, sometimes he does sometimes he doesnt, it dont matter to me either way as long as he does what I want when it is time.

I guess alot of us guys will never be as wise as guys like you and Devin. I am fine with that. But for what i want out of my dog, it doesnt take a wise man.

You have a whole place full of dogs that i am sure are really great dogs, you will never hear talk down about your dogs. i have seen videos of them in action and they are cool. i know you have alot of time and training into them.

but tell me, really, how long would it take you to teach a dog that has some natural ability to do what mine does??? not long i would suppose. then it would just be doing what i am doing and putting alot of coyotes in front of him and let him turn into his own style of dog.

i know how i am hunting them is not considered by some of you guys as "decoying". but this is how i want to do it. idont want the show happening 1/4 mile off where i cant see it. i am in it for the show and i want it to happen in sight.

is it really going to take me going and picking up a mutt and getting him to do what i want out of him to make yal happy?? because if it would settle the dust and make me a "true houndsman" i will do it.

what are the standards i will need to be able to speak to you without being talked to like i am stupid?? I am only 32 years old and havent owned near as many dogs as you have. but i have had several hounds that treed a many coons for me and have had a few beagles that i killed alot of rabbits with and i have a set of hog dogs that will catch me a hog everytime i go out. we have a set of dogs we work cattle with that i would put against any of them out there. so what does it take??

I do have a honest question. How many of you guys used decoy dogs east of the big river.

Second how do you know that your style will work over here.

One thing I do know if you let your dog troll to far it will be on someone else's ground and risk it being shot or hit on the road. Most country blocks are 4 mile square and lots of land owners can be in that.

So what I am asking is just because you have alot of know how for where you hunt out west how do you know it will work here at all unless you have done it here where I hunt.

These are just questions and not at all saying you do not know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted By: roode301I do have a honest question. How many of you guys used decoy dogs east of the big river.

Second how do you know that your style will work over here.

One thing I do know if you let your dog troll to far it will be on someone else's ground and risk it being shot or hit on the road. Most country blocks are 4 mile square and lots of land owners can be in that.

So what I am asking is just because you have alot of know how for where you hunt out west how do you know it will work here at all unless you have done it here where I hunt.

These are just questions and not at all saying you do not know what you are talking about. I have, Have you went west of the River to decoy?

Never hunted Ohio but I hunted real close to it in Kentucky. My Daughter lives there and we hunt it together when I go back and see her.When she flies out here she flies out of Cin. She loves to hunt with her old man.
It was no different. What makes you think it would be different? Do you think that all we have is wide open feilds that you can see for miles and miles?
We hunt alot of brush and very tall grass heavy dark timber. Most of my kills are with a shot gun.
I think what you guys do not realize is a coyote does not have to see a dog to decoy them, all the dog needs to do is go make some tracks and the coyote will follow a trained dog back to your front door step.
I have a question. If you guys think that we hunt so much differently then why would you guys buy a dog from Tony? All his stuff is wide open and I think it would be safe to say, Not much brush or trees.

Heavy cover makes it even more important for the dog to go out and hunt up coyotes or have the coyotes hunt them, either way they need to make the engagement to start the proccess of bringing them back into you. With the dog sitting beside you may give you away to the coyote and make him even more afraid to come out where you and your dog can see him. Many more coyotes see you before you ever see them ( if you ever see them). A dog and a coyote behind the curtain of the forest will be alot more active and play the game more than one that spots you and your dog sitting side by side.

I have been to some states out west and yes it was alot diffrent where I was at. Not close to Colorado. Az mostly. I got my dog from him at the time because that was what I could aford at the time. And yes I may have got fooled and got the wool pulled over my eyes but only time will tell.

When I started asking questions about the decoy dog thing and buying one it turned into a big Pi$$ing match. He was the only one that contacted me and kept intouch with me so I bought from him.

I wish you well and hopefully you didnt get screwed like alot of guys did by him.
What you guys dont understand is that it is easy to have a dog sit by your side and hiss him up on a dead coyote or even have him chase a little bit after a coyote that it spots coming in. What is real hard is to have the dog go to coyotes howling that are not visable. Go find coyotes that are not vocal and not visable and bring them back all on their own without any commands from you.
A decoy dog must also have a pretty good nose to be able to track up some coyotes and find them, these are skills you are not going to find in a Pitbull or a pound puppy. Grit is very important in a decoy dog. It is a must but a good decoy dog must be able to turn it on and off and know exactly when to do it. They have to have that sense about them to know exactly how much it takes to bring THAT coyote back to you. And also when 3 or 4 coyotes come in, it is not a game to them they are killing machines and that is what they will do to a submissive dog that has not grit. I have also seen that the dogs that have the so called grit have a higher prey drive and will go hunt for you alot better than a submissive dog.
These are skils that alot of fine men have been breeding for years and years and with heavy culling to get a dog that produces these results

Originally Posted By: roode301I have been to some states out west and yes it was alot diffrent where I was at. Not close to Colorado. Az mostly. I got my dog from him at the time because that was what I could aford at the time. And yes I may have got fooled and got the wool pulled over my eyes but only time will tell.

When I started asking questions about the decoy dog thing and buying one it turned into a big Pi$$ing match. He was the only one that contacted me and kept intouch with me so I bought from him.

i realy hope you didnt either time will tell

Originally Posted By: Devin69I get over there again and I will have to send you a note and go hunting with us. She is about 45 min from Cin Ohio.

Please do that. I would love to see it done by someone that knows alot more about it than I do. I am only about 1hr and half from the river or cincy.

ok, i have a comment here and maybe we can have this conversation without coming to blows.

Devin, when I decided to get a decoy dog, i came here for advise. the only people i saw that were talked about were Tony and Duane. Duane was quiet about his stuff and rarley had dogs for sale and Tony always had a dog for sale. Tony was the only one posting videos of dog work and all the other stuff so thats why i went with him.

You got to understand something, I didnt get a dog from Tony, i got a dog from Scott. that dog happen to come out of Tony's stock. Scott had him started on coyotes and when i got him i continued hunting him. I sent him to Tony to have coyotes put in front of him while I ran our deer program.

Now, at that time, i never ever heard of dogs that would actually go out and find a coyote. when i heard of this, it made me think that is what i want out of my dog because i have alot of land and it would not be a problem with my dog going a mile to find a coyote and get on someone elses land. by this time it was too late because i already had my dog back.

i think it is badazz that you and Duane among others have dogs that do that! i wish i could sent my dog to guys like yal to teach mine that, but the matter of the fact is that i have a dog that stays close. we have really bonded and i do not plan on getting rid of him, so i an going to work on him to work coyotes. some stands he stays close, some stand he ranges out a ways and has brought me coyotes back that he has winded and went and found.

but like you said, and i agree, what my dog does along as alot of dogs out there sits close and goes to a coyote when it comes in to the calling stand. there isnt much to it, even if Duane says there is. it isnt near as complex as the stuff those ranging dogs need to know.

but the benefit us guys get that have this type of dog is that we get to see the whole show, it isnt happening in a thicket 1/4 mile away. so that is the upside of the kind of dog i have. the benfit of ranging dogs would be killing a boat load more coyotes, that is why i would love to have one of those as well.

i think we could all come together either way and agree that having a dog out there with you hunting coyotes is a whole different way of hunting and it is a freakin rush when it comes together and works right. that, to me, is what makes me forget about all the negative crap that happend trying to get my dog to this point. to see my dog out there working his tail off and the excitment he shows after i kill that coyote is all it takes for me to know that from now on, i will have a dog with me on a coyote stand.

we alteast can come to an agreement on that.

Ok I will bite. I think if you sit for a second and try and see the big picture then you might understand. Stop trying to defend yourself and just try and imagine this. What ever you have and what ever you hunt is your bussiness and I am happy for you. Not everyone is going to like every type of hunting dog and every style of dog. Guys on here ask a oppinion and because it does not match you or your dog you get on the defence.
I am not sure where you get that a dog needs to go a mile out to hunt and I am not sure why you think that if a dog goes into the the brush you will not get to see any work? If you have a opening that is 200 yards wide and a dog goes 600 yards and retrieves a coyote will you or will you not get to see the same amount of work with a dog that does that or only runs across the opening? The only difference is the dog that goes and hunts will increase your ods of getting the coyote in to you than the dog that sits by your side and never sees the coyote.
It is kind of like having a dog with you when you are pheasant hunting. Do you want the dog to walk with you and when you shoot go retrieve the bird or would you like the dog to go hunt the Pheasant and go on point and not break the point until comanded and you shoot and the dog finds and retrieves the bird? There is no wrong or right way and you can do it anyway you want it but when a guy comes on here and wants a oppinion and it differs from the way you do it and another guy tells you that you are missing out on a lot and a whole other world...Dont fly off the handle and start to tell him you are going to beat him up and you are tougher than him." My Daddy is bigger than your daddy"
I do not train decoy dogs for others and I dont sell a decoy dog very often if at all. I give more (decoy)pups away than I have ever sold. I put them into hands of guys that I think will hunt them and give me feedback, good or bad.
So if you think I am competing with Tony or anyone else it is very very far from the truth.

i understand now that those dogs exist. i did not know that when i started looking. all i saw was what was on here.

i know beyond a doubt that the dogs you talk about will get a man more coyotes than a dog like mine. when i was saying a mile, i was being in general, as in if that is how far they had to travel to find one. i know it dont take a mile.

that is exactly why i dont mind my dog out ranging at all, if nothting else maybe the coyote finds him if he dont find a coyote. but as for now he is about half and half and thats what i have to work with. so thats what i will do. but i dont see a wrong in it either way. and i dont think my way is stupid or the way a ranging dog works is stupid.

it is fun either way.

No that all the feathers seem to be laid flat, we can get back to what this spot is for, "talking about dogs". It really makes no matter what your dog does, so long as you like it, Not right for me or anyone else to cuss your dog, on the flip side not right for you to cuss mine, or anyone elses. Facts are at certain times, dogs cost ya yotes, at other times they can help ya ring the bell. I wish I had this many guys that knew something, that I could argue with, or follow, when I started. Best of luck with your dog/dogs, you may think I'm a jerk, (I'll admit I dam sure can be at times) lots of guys smacked me in the side of the head when I was learning. As a kid, if I talked to the older guys, like some do on the puter, I would get a back hand. It taught me to shut up, even when I didn't want to.My point is there are no hard feelings, some of us are here to help, and we will. No other reason to spend so much time on the board. When a guy gets his "balls busted", it may be cause he deserves it???? There is a bunch of good info to be had if a guy wants sort thru the bs.

Back