At 100 degrees below zero.......

Redfrog

He buttoned up his vest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Went out this afternoon with my brother. -22F and about a 15 mph wind. Perfect!! Colder than a mother in law's kiss.

We called 3 stands on the open prairie. Nothing.

We headed for the Red Deer river to get out of the wind. The river bottom is heavy brush, full of thorns, and really thick with coyote sign. The river is about 250 yds.wide where we set up and frozen clear across. The wind was ripping pretty good out of the north.

One lonesome howl was all I could get out of the Cronk. Just too cold! We got a response from across the river and upwind. I started on the ap6, and it took those potlikers 25 min. to come in. I saw one stop on top of the cut bank just over 300 yds upwind on the other side of the river. He dropped down onto the ice and immediately tried to run back up the bank. I figured we were busted. I looked up the bank and saw the second coyote standing. I took the shot. He flipped over. I tried to get on the second one, but he was tearing down the ice at the base of the cut bank. When he was straight across I gave him a roar and he broke stride, but wouldn't stop. I stayed on him until he ran up the bank. He stopped at the top and looked back. Big mistake :eek: He probably just caught a glimpse of the 55 grainer before it hit him.

My brother said "What the heck are you shooting at?" I said coyotes. He said "Yeah right they are too far away." Well I didn't know that!!!!And niether did they. Then he was afraid to cross the ice.

So I went across and dragged those two coyotes back myself. Now don't you guys feel sorry for me.
Those darn things ended up about600 yds apart. The long shot was about 400 paces. Course it is a little tough walking it off in the howling wind on the ice.

If I only had a rangefinder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif We got back to the truck after dark as a snow storm blew in. It was a white out by the time I got home. Just another day in paradise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now tell the truth Redfrog, you wouldn't have taken that shot prior to two weeks ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . Man I love it when an old dog learns a new trick, I mean middle aged dog!! :rolleyes:

You always make for fun reading Redfrog! Did you use the - off the rimrock, off the sagebrush, off the steer skull, through the coolee, under the sharptail, off the muley antler and into the coyote shot? I love that shot!

Nope, but I coulda done. Because of time and light constraints,this was a case of PPE. Precision,Predator,Extraction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif These 55's were sent direct delivery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We went back to the river this afternoon for a few stands. Itwas really foggy and we've had 6 inches of new powder.

First stand ....zero.
Second stand,fog lifted, I called one from a mile upriver,on the opposite side. I told my brother I would stop him on a little island point, 100yds. out. When the coyote got to the point, I said stop. He stopped, my brother shot and MISSED . :eek:

For some reason he thought it was funny when I said stop and he was giggling when he shot.No more gimmes for him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Maybe you should recommend to your brother that he leave his funny bone home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back