best type of area for critters

Steven Olson

I'm just getting started in predator hunting and need help finding a good location to start hunting.
I live in Fairbanks, AK with a lot of opportunity to hunt. How far away from my 4-wheeler should
I get and how long should I wait to start calling? I have a Sceery AP-5 snowshoe hare and would
like to know if anyone has any recomondations for other calls.

Steve.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Alaskan on the board. I also use a 4- wheeler. Most of the time if I now the area I park the wheeler at the bottom of a hill and hunt on the other side of the hill. I keep the rpm`s down and travel slow so the noise is kept to a minimum. Hate to get to far form the wheeler here in s. central, the people have a hard time from not looking at your stuff. And as for calls one is never enough and if you see a new one you will probaly get it like I do. Well keep us posted on how you do up there.

Though I don't do much predator hunting off my 4-wheeler, I do hunt off my snowmachine (when we have snow). I usually try and walk at least 25-50 yrds from the machine. Then I set-up in my stand and wait about 10 minutes for everything to settle down. If they heard you coming, then after 10 minutes of silence they probably think you are gone.

I had a fox run right in front of my snowmachine (within 10 feet) a couple years back so he could circle around behind me. Didn't work the way he wanted. Almost did, but as he was running away I let out a nice hard to resist lip squeak and when he stopped to look back I stopped him for good.

I have seen a video of a guy calling from inside his Jeep Cherokee and the coyote was actually trying to jump through the window to get at the call. I really don't think they are afraid of machines unless they have been harassed by some....

Back