wounded coyote reaction?

smitty273

Was hunting with a buddy this am and he took a runninng shot on a coyote at about 150 yards. He hit it but it kept going. Found blood and followed it for about a couple hundred yards through the woods, but lost the trail. My question is how does a wounded coyote normally react? Will it run for it's den till it gets there or dies? or will it hole up in thick cover? This is eastern Ohio, reclaimed strip mines and woods.
thanks.

Coyotes are amazingly tough. The ones I have shot dropped right there. There is one time I will never forgot. I shot one on a woods call with a 44 mag hollow point Ruger carbine at about 45yds in the vitals and the thing still rose its head up after flattening it out. I have noticed watching a lot of videos if one is hit back a little it tends to spin biting at the area hit.

They will usually find thick cover to lay down in. If left undisturbed, you may find them expired. Depending how hard they are hit, they may run a long ways.

Originally Posted By: smitty273Was hunting with a buddy this am and he took a runninng shot on a coyote at about 150 yards. He hit it but it kept going. Found blood and followed it for about a couple hundred yards through the woods, but lost the trail. My question is how does a wounded coyote normally react? Will it run for it's den till it gets there or dies? or will it hole up in thick cover? This is eastern Ohio, reclaimed strip mines and woods.
thanks.

Ive had that happen more than once,now i shoot till it stops moving ,lol
fyi - i dont save fur

Originally Posted By: bobeano
Ive had that happen more than once,now i shoot till it stops moving ,lol
fyi - i dont save fur

Yep coyotes have the strange ability to re-animate.......shoot till dead.

Never got a chance to keep shooting. I wasn't in position to see it and my buddy couldn't get a follow up. I heard it yelp at the shot, but don't really know where it was hit.

Agree..

keep shooting until it stops moving completely. or at least be ready to shoot again. I had them play dead then try to get up 10 minutes later. Another reason why the flir is important- track them.

Problem is, they are so stinking fast! They can cover a huge amount of land even when hit well. I shot one with a 22mag in the lungs at 40 yds. It took off like shot out of a cannon. I could see it run thru the timber for 200 yds, made it roughly 400yds before piling up. I didn't find it that evening due to lack of blood from the little round, had to follow up at a later time to find it. I'm sure it died on it's feet in just a couple minutes but covered 400yds!

Back