Man are they fast

Alaskan Critter

Well I finally got to shoot at one. Last day of hunting in MT. and on the second stand of the day. Got him to come in with a AP-7 variable pitch caller. He came in so fast and almost down wind, notice him at the last seconds and could not find him in the scope he was so close. He found me and turned tail. Men can they run fast when your shooting at them. Shot three times and missed all three. Don`t mind missing and happy as heck that I called him in. I was wondering what I was doing wrong all this time. I don`t think I`m doing anything wrong now. Just a lack of Critters.

Dan,

Thats good news!!!! Are you talking about the
AP-6? I would agree on the lack of criitters but still would lean towards thier cautious nature. Being they are not the top of the food chain up here. So are you home yet?

Todd

First of all...CONGRATULATIONS on calling a critter in. Exciting isn't it...and oh so addicting!

Now, not to bring you down off your high, but I want to just say that you probably shouldn't have taken the 3 shots at the critter. You now have one less coyote in that area who will come to a call. You have "educated" him to associate the distress call with an angry man with a loud stick. I called a fox in last weekend and could have almost clubbed him with my rifle he was so close. I never got a shot off at him. Could have, but used a little discipline and didn't. I know after a couple weeks I'll be able to call him in again. All he associated the distress call with was some a$$hole sitting there in camoflage right where my dinner was.

Just want to make a point, not coming down on you or anything, just trying to help in the future.

Keep on keeping on....

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I Feel like I learn some thing every time I go out and every time I read the forum. And I should have said the state of Montana and not MT. It was the last day of hunting there so I have at least 11 months for it to cool down before I hunt there again. I think you all are right it was the AP-6, the AP-7 is the open reed. Thanks for the feed back, I appreciate it.

Hey AC! I couldn't be happier for ya. Was this out on rapelje road or near the spot we tried in the wind? Either way I wish I would have been there. I bet that adrenaline was pumping just a little. Who cares if you educated that sucker you are probably back in Alaska with new confidence. Way to go.

Bent Barrel it was on Rapelje Road where I said I had them yipping at me earlier. What a rush,WOW! Check the members House page, there is a post for you there also.

Back