Where the heck are the Animals?

rimfirematt

I have done some serious traveling since the snow flew. I have been to eureka to talkeetna and all points between
I am not seeing much for tracks, mmmm. I am gonna do some serious "hike way the heck in the boonies" here pretty
soon to see if I can locate anything else. How has everyone else been doing, You dont need to tell me where your at, I just want to
know if I need to look elsewhere or are the animals just hard to find. Seems like whenever Im not looking for them I see sign all over the place
but I guess they Im after them now! Maybe I need to switch strategies and say that I am "Rabbit Hunting" carry the .22 but when I see a dog, pull out the .243 and let him
have it! Well hope at least one of ya is having good luck. Matt

Het Matt, you and I have something in common. I seem to be getting skunked almost everytime I go out. But when I'm not hunting that's when I see one out in the boonies standing there looking at me. I think some of the problem is that I have tried new places everytime I go out and not giving any one place a chance to produce. I've spoken to the game agents in the areas and I have been told there are lots of coyotes in the areas I have hunted.

I do know that my color vision sufffers some and that could be a big part of not seeing the animals unless they move. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You know...I went out just looking in a couple of what I thought would be hot spots locally and saw a little...but very little sign.

Before getting on this forum I did not realize so many people were calling in this neck of the woods. Maybe they have taken a bite out of the population???

Guess I'll have to go a little farther out to try my hand at calling. Haven't done it for years. I want to take my 8 year old boy out to see if we can get something.

AAAAHHHHH!, I am getting a little frustrated. I cant call anything in! I didnt even call a magpie in today. I saw a fair amount of tracks. I was calling in a heavely wooded area, wich might have not been a good idea for a novice. I was scent free, had a awesome cover scent, blew some good calls and nothing. I am wondering how far off the beaten path do I need to be? The only bad thing today was I could hear all sorts of dogs barking. At one time I think I heard some people. Man I hate living in LOS ANCHORAGE. Guys, my wife thinks I might be doing something other than coyote hunting since I have gone like 20 times this month without a thing to show for it. HELP, Help, waaa, waa, help

Welcome to the board MartyV.

Matt,

Your calling them in you just don't know it yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Get geared up we'll be going out next week until we both get something.

Last year I called in two wabbit hunters. They got about 15 feet away before they saw me all camo'ed up in the snow.

Todd

You are lucky Yoter that they didn't shoot that wounded wabbit waying in the snow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Okay tommorow is my lucky day, I can feel it! I knew I would keep at it AlaskanCritter, I was just trying to fool my self when I said I was gonna take a break. Oh yeah, I found out why my scope on the 243 was blury, one of the lenses was knocked loose. I went to the range with it and it shot like crap, even with the 1.00 apeice shells. I gotta find a replacement this week. YOTER, I cant wait until I can learn something under your expert tutalage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have been looking around a little bit after I call and im not finding any fresh tracks. I did find a set of lynx tracks after a stand but I determined that they were a day or so old. Well I better get to bed, getting up at 8:00 to try again!

Hey don't put my name in the same post with expert. Unless your refering to my expert missing skills with the smoke stick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Todd

rimfirematt:
Don't give up, I haven't heard of alot of movement latly. I can tell you that a oldtimer ( who got me hooked ) said, if you go out and hear anything other than silence, call it a day. People, snowmachines, gun shots, etc. Usually the first light of the morning is better, you may be going to your spot thinking I am the only one out here, but infact someone has allready trampled around the erea earlyer in the day. Just some food for thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .....Never give up! I have been yotie hunting off and on for a few years now and still have not had the opertunity to pull the trigger on one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif .....My wife not sure if I am hunting or playing! :eek:

Not much luck here either. Just been seeing a few tracks lately. Figured with the temperature drop they would be moving. But, no luck today. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Scott

I have not started calling yet, but I am seeing lots of tracks on my line. Been sort of looking at places to call while I am out on the line.

Has anyone here been on the Denali Hwy doing any calling?? I spen alot of time down there in the summer and it looks like it has a million good places.

Has anyone thought what they might do if one of these Alaska cougars come in while you are calling. Just wondering. Hope all of you get something this weekend as long as your not on my trapline. GOOD LUCK

God Bless America
Trapper_1977

Martyv are you by any chance a electrician that worked on Building 600 on base. If so, I was one of the Sprinkler Fitters on the job that talked about critter hunting.

Back