Electric Calls/ question

Trapper_1977

Looking for good and bad about the fox pro and the wildlife technoligies calls. Things like sound quality comparsion, distance they work, ease of use etc. Thanks

Trapper_1977

BOUGHT A FOXPRO THIS SUMMER, I LIVE IN WESTERN NEW YORK, AND I AM COMPLETELY SATISFIED, I OWN THE 8 CALL MODEL AND AM THINKING OF UPDATING AND INCREASEING NUMBER OF CALLS, I HAVE USED THIS CALL VERY SUCCESSFULLY FOR CROWS, WORKS GREAT, JUST STARTIG TO USE ON COYOTES, AS OUR DEER SEASON JUST ENDED. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CALL, LIGHTWEIGHT, AND LONG LASING ON A SINGLE CHARGE.

There is no comparison as far as sound quality. The WT call is like a live concert compared to two tin cans with a string between them. Yes they are pricey. Are they for everybody? NO but if you want the best get the WT.

I agree with the above I have had a WLT call from the start and have nothing bad to say about the system has a great remoate will stand up and work at -50 will not break like Plastic long battery life and sounds like other companys only wish they had those are a few of the reasons to go Wild Life Tec. >>>

I'm not trying to get into my caller is better then your caller here. I have the foxpro caller. I was wanting to know why the WT costs so much more then the the rest of the callers?

I know the sound is saposed to be the best. What about how is it compared to the foxpro for packing around? I hike into most of the places I call. Will the wt fit into the day pack like a foxpro does? How many parts is the wt caller? Do you have to put out the speaker seperate? I'm not worried about volume that much. With the crisp cold air up here, sound carries along way. How about customer service? I know I had a problem with the reostat on my caller. They had it back to me in about a week after they recieved it. I have had mine in -20 weather an it worked fine. When it was in the -40 range on my line, I just checked traps and moved on. lol

I have two systems one is the old Fish and wildlife system no remoate works on a reo and has an extra unattached speaker works as fine as the others the new model up grade is very light the whole thing fits in a small camara bag with a schoulder strap again the speaker is an extra but not much weight and a very good remoate as fast as you can run your fingers it works preaty easy.I have never had a problem with getting any thing looked at or by some chance something is wrong I have preaty fast turn around time.All I do is call so not working on a -50 day is a day wasted and no wolf on the fleshing board this is sounding like mine is better than yours when the question schould be how much time do i use mine is the cost right for you!!!!!! can you get every sound you need!!!!!!!!!! to get your fur up to come out in the black at the end of the year those are the important questions that a person needs to ask if you are a weekend hunter and have other jobs to keep your Family going then probley not but if it is what you day in and out then take a hard look at Wild Life Tec to me it is like working on cars or cycles long ago Craftsman were the best to have in the shop well then the return was not as good and workman ship slipped not snapon is on the high side yea we could probley all work with Napa tools but probley not::: have a good nite >>>

You have some good points CS. If I depended on it like you do, I would want the best also.

I hope I didn't come across as mine is better then yours. I could have worded it better I guess.

I understand that some tools are better for a job then others. Just trying to compare the tools. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Not a problem and no you did not come across bad at all just looking for good quality info there is never harm in that I think that what these boards are to be about I guess when it comes to calls a lot of people are a bit gun shy on E callers LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL You have a great weekend >>>

CS, there have been many heated debates over the WT calls. I was trying to keep that from happening.

On your remote, how far will it reach out to? I have read anywhere from 200 yards to a mile and a half on the range. That is a statement from a guy on another board. Was just wandering what you get out of yours?

Loel
With fresh batteries I have tried my remote at 1 mile and it worked. I set the call down on the side of the road and left the boy with it and a radio. At every 1/10 mile I tried the call. At 8/10 I had to put in new batteries to get it to work. At 1 mile it would work 3 times then it would need new batteries. I have used it at over 100 yards while calling. My remote seams to eat batteries. After about 6 stands anything over about 100 yards and it becomes spotty on it working. But when using it a night when the call is only feet away I can get the batteries to last several days.
The main batteries that the call runs on last a long time on a charge. Over the Thanksgiving weekend I had over 100 stands on it and it was still going strong.

Thanks for the info tornado.

I live in Eagle River. Whats the chance that we could get together some time so I can get a look at that call???

The very frist system had a super remoate 4 miles line of site the new one is about a mile and a half as far as checking out eather system when you are up in this part of the world just give me a yell I all moast never get past glenAllen well again you all have a great Christmas I will be out of state a few weeks starting tommarow be safe out there and watch for bad ice on the rivers and creeks want to see everyone here when i get back >>>

well thanks for all the replies. Seems like most everyone likes the ones they have. Sounds quality always comes up from the WT folks. Here and anywhere else I ask.

I just have a hard time thinking of paying $33 per sound. Of course if you buy 12 you get 6 free so we are now at $22 per sound.

Wel keep the thoughts coming. I am going to buy one the first couple of weeks in Jan. later

God Bless America
Trapper_1977

Below is a message form another board that I think is benificial to post here. This is the electronic caller I am planning on putting together right after Christmas. This IS the ideal system as far as I can see. Remote control, unlimited amount of sounds (just buy the CD's), it's digital, etc. and it's inexpensive! Most bang for the buck!

Hopefully all the links work. Here is the message from Mike Harter as posted on another forum....

" Let's see if I can cobble something together for you here. I'm assuming you are willing to do some on-line shopping, and don't need a "one stop scenario". This has been covered in this forum on other threads, but I'll try to assemble it for you here.

I'm assuming your goal is a versatile, light weight e-caller for around $350.

The heart of the system is the Johnny Stewart Power Pro Convert-a-Caller, an amplifier/battery/speaker unit in a slick carrying case for around a $100. They are currently on sale at Natchez for $89.

JS Power Pro

You drive this unit with a tape Walkman, CD Player, or the real way to go - an MP3 player. I've set up several using the KB Gear JamP3 player, a modestly priced unit that is perfectly sized, takes internal memory cards, and is relatively inexpensive (around $30). This one is big enough to see in low light, has buttons you can use with gloves, and the memory cards allow you to group sounds if you like. With 16 megs of internal memory and a 32 meg flash card running resident, I carry 14 sounds in three minute loops at CD quality. A warning here. I've encountered several of these units with bad headphone jacks and had to have them repaired locally. I considered the cost worth it because I like the design. Smaller seems to be the fashion in MP3 players, and to me, bigger is a little better.

JAM MP3

For the remote, experience here has caused us to settle on the Azden WLX-PRO wireless microphone. Best price seems to be about $135 off the net.

Azden Remote

There are a few tricks with the Azden you can glean by reading through the threads on this subject. Briefly, you use minimum power off the MP3 so as not to "overdrive" the system. If you get some RF noise, there are ways to mitigate it with ferrite beads on your cables. We can help with that.

For cables, I use a coil cable like CB-120 at:

Coil Cables.

For ferrite beads to reduce RF interference, I've been using FB-46 at:

Ferrite Beads

You put these on in whatever configuration works best for you. Most have attached to the cable connecting the MP3 and the Azden Transmitter (at the MP3 end), although one of the more famous members of the Board got the best results by snapping it on the wire leading from the Azden Receiver to the Power Pro (with three wraps thru the bead). See, you can even create.

Basically, for about $350 ("all in" with shipping and sounds), you can have a very versatile e-caller using MP3 sounds which allows you to switch calls in mid-stand, stop and go, vary volume, and generally raise all Holy Hell with any predator in range. The MP3 sounds are loaded on your computer, and from there to your MP3 player in simple fashion. This is important! You control the quality and the length of the loop. I use 3 minute loops at CD quality. The FoxPro I'm told has a card with 10-30 second loops. Imagine, on a 30 minute stand, you're listening to the same 30 second loop 60 times. Talk about brain death. And to compound the felony, if you want new sounds, back to the factory you go with checkbook in hand (giving up the use of the caller in the interim, I would suspect).

FLASH: Sounds are not free. You can buy the tapes and convert to MP3 on your computer, or you can buy CDs from Johnny Stewart with the MP3 files included. Avoid the temptation to scam your sounds. It's a copyright infringement, and you're likely to diminish sound quality in the process.

Here's a source for CDs with the MP3 sounds:

Western Recreational Industries

Also resist the temptation to "do it on the cheap". Some here have tried to eliminate the Power Pro by using Radio Shack budget gear (speakers, amps, and the like). They'll work, but it's a lousy arrangement in my view. The JS is well made, the battery life is good, and the carrying case is very well thought out. Once it's set up, you grab it and go (albeit with a handful of batteries for the MP3 and Azden).

Just my opinion, but I've called over a Fox Pro and was not impressed. For that kind of dough, it should scratch your back instead of coming in a cheap, plastic flashlight case.

Good Luck

Mike Harter "

For those who might be interested.....

I ordered the JS Power Pro Convert-a-caller and the Azden WLX-PRO wireless microphone. Just looking for a cheap MP3 player now and I will have this "system" together. I'll try and remember to post my likes/dislikes once I use the outfit. From what I have heard of others who have built this "system" is it is the cats meow...

Trapper, I just got a WT a couple weaks ago and love it. It is very light weight and the remote works great. The sounds are good to. If you have the money and dont mind spending the extra go the WT you wont regret it.

Randy, I would suggest a Rio 600 as a "cheap" mp3 player. I did manage to purchase a really cheap one for $15 and it has so much noise when hooked up to the system that it is useless. The sound out of the Rio is excellent plus it takes a single AA battery instead of two AAA's. The one I bought off E-bay was $40 delivered to my door but is refurbished. It looks new and the sound kicks butt on the other cheap ones I've had.

I'm using this with a Nady 151 and a speco 12 watt speaker. The sound quality is excellent and I can get more volume than I need. I've got rechargable batteries in the works so I can afford to keep on playing. These things eat batteries.

Ed

Back