Joke?

Im new to decoy dogs but believe any dog can be a great decoy dog. All it is is k9s interacting with k9s. Pretty hard to screw that up. That bein said spending time to fit your wants and needs is where there are differences. I think the majority of decoy dogs are culls from dogs that didnt work right for guys on other game. Just my opinion

Originally Posted By: trapper2but jesse you are a clown, i have met you and can say for sure that you are, plus scott also said you are, ha

Oh Yeah. After 34 years of teaching I know a "Class Clown" when I see one. LOL

BTW: Ward, just gotta ask. Did he call before the Cough Juice got to him????? (-:

Monica Lewinski was looking in the mirror and really discouraged at all the weight she had gained. So she closes her eyes to pray "lord please remove my love handles", so she opens her eyes and.....

HER EARS FELL OFF!!!!!!

Two cops go on a call of armed robbery at the 7elevin. They get there to take the report and the kid working says it was an elephant that robed him. He had a snub nosed .38 and a paper sack to fill with money. He had the kid fill the bag and walked out peacefully.

The investigating officer asked what kind of elephant it was, Indian or African.

The kid asked how you tell the difference, so the officer explained that Indian elephants have small ears, while African elephants have big ears.

The kid looked at the officers and said
"how the heck should i know, he had on a ski mask!"

hahahahahaha.
oh boy that one is a classic. You guys should know that i truly am a second generation rodeo clown.

When i was a kid I got a "cull" pup.from a good friend and hunting partner of my dads. I raised him and did my best by him. Well he turned out to be a heck of a coon hound. His name was Rogue River Sam.
After wins at the most prestigious hunts in the country some said him to be the best. Rumors spread, and people everywhere talked about Sam. Well dad got word one day from a guy in Mississippi that Sam could not be the best because his Blue tick Ace was the best tree hound in the country. Well, we all decided that a friendly contest should be held to determin who had the best.

We met in Tennessee at a gas station where we would discuss the rules and how the competition would work. While we were talking on the tailgates a guy showed up in an old beat up chevy with a monkey on his shoulder. Turns out this was a coon hunting monkey, and the guy wanted to tag along to witnesses the epic showdown of hounds, so we obliged him and off we went.

At the first cast Sam struck first, and was treed fast. We walked out to the tree to see both hounds treeing hard. Folks, these two hounds were truly a sight to see! It was clear that Ace and Sam were both world class hounds and this was going to be a tight race. Well, we were all amazed when the monkey handler stepped out of the shadows with his monkey. He had a little leather vest on, a head lamp, and a .22 pistol. The handler said "go to 'em" and the monkey scurried up the tree. We heard a ruckess and then a shot. Then down comes the monkey carrying a dead coon. The handler explained how the monkey hates coons, and kills them for fun.

Well.we continued hunting. Four casts into the night and the dogs were even on the card.

On the fifth cast Ace struck track first. Sam was right behind him. They treed in no time. When we walked in we saw that the two dogs were split treed about 30 feet apart. We went to Sams tree first. The monkey took his little pistol and headed up the tree. We saw his light look around for a while then a shot and down he came with a coon. Next was Ace's tree. The monkey headed up the tree and looked all around. He spent fifteen minutes in the tree with no shot, then came back down with no coon. He walked right up to that blue tick, put that pistol to his head and killed that dog deader than a hammer! The guy from Mississippi lost it and started yelling that the stupid monkey just killed his dog!

The monkey's handler calmly looked at him and said "there is only one thing that monkey hates more than a coon and thats a lying dog."

Ok guys, I'll not call anyone out, and sorry no jokes from me. Lets talk about dogs, if its so easy to "train a decoy dog", why pay a guy to do it???? If any dog from the pound can do it, why pay good money for a parvo infested pup???
As for me not getting trashed??? There is a good reason for that....I have never sold a dog I won't hunt myself,as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy in the buss that gives a 30 day money back gaurantee??? If there is any other, please let me know. I never have left a client at a cafe, and I have never sold a sick dog. I hope this clears up a few things. I like how I got brought into this post, but since I was I figured I would speak up.

Originally Posted By: altabonitaOriginally Posted By: Duane@ssuOk guys, I'll not call anyone out but.....

But....What?

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuOk guys, I'll not call anyone out, and sorry no jokes from me. Lets talk about dogs, if its so easy to "train a decoy dog", why pay a guy to do it???? If any dog from the pound can do it, why pay good money for a parvo infested pup???
As for me not getting trashed??? There is a good reason for that....I have never sold a dog I won't hunt myself,as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy in the buss that gives a 30 day money back gaurantee??? If there is any other, please let me know. I never have left a client at a cafe, and I have never sold a sick dog. I hope this clears up a few things. I like how I got brought into this post, but since I was I figured I would speak up.

I have 2 answers to 2 questions you have.

First the dog that I have has no parvo or been sick at all and it was what I could spend at the time.
Second as for the training you western states have way more coyotes to start the dog on than we have to do proper training.

Not getting cocky that is just my reasons for doing what I am doing.
I have no problem taking advice from someone that has,breeds or a started dog but if you have never owned one or trained one why try to give advice or bash a person on nothing you know about. Or jump on the bashwagon and run a style that one is using. No I am not defending anyone just my take on it.

I have talked to some super nice guys on here that has helped me out alot and THANKS for that.

Here's my opinion.......... If you don't have enough coyotes to train a dog you can't justify having one. It's not fair to the dog.

Guess maybe I should of said when the pup is ready for training. The crops will be to high and a do not want to send a unexperienced dog into a bad spot that I can not get to there in time.

This is the size of most coyotes around here.

This is the biggest male I have got 51 lbs
DSC_0071.JPG

40 lbs female and killed 2 more about the same size 2 weeks ago.
DSC_0072.JPG

Last edited:
I know that it happens, but my dog getting into a spot she can't handle is not even on my top 10 of things I'm worried about while hunting. My dog is coming along very well and is at the age where I feel she gets better every stand. On avg. she is hunted 3 plus days a week, year round. If I sold her to someone that hunted half as much as I do, they would say she was no good and it would be because they didn't put coyotes in front of her to make her better. Again, my opinion. She's 15 months old and has had appx. 150 coyotes put in front of her and I'd guesstimate had 70 killed in front of her. She's doing things on the last 3 that she's never done and 1 things for sure, I don't know crap about training dogs of any kind. It takes coyotes, coyotes, coyotes and more coyotes. Duane puts a lot of pride in his breeding program and his dogs are involved in some type of activity every single day, that makes for a great foundation to start a dog.

Also I should say I don't have much time to train a dog right now with a full time and part time job right now.
That will change in a few months.

I dont own a decoy dog. So my opinion on that does not matter at all. As you can see I never do chime in when it comes to decoy dogs. I dont claim I know anything about them. Me personally, I dont own one because I am not able to sit long enough to make a stand lol. I always have to be moving. I am a real hyper guy, and sitting in a tree stand for deer, or on the ground for coyote dont work well for me.

The reason I am chiming in now is because I wanted to make it clear, there is no such thing as keeping a hunting dog safe. You try your best to, but things happen sometimes. If that was the case, I would still have the dogs I have lost the past couple of years. Dogs will do what they want when out of sight and there is not much you can do about it. You have to expect and prepare for what may happen.

I may have never bred, trained, or hunted a decoy dog. But I have done my fair share of training. From hounds, beagles, terriers, and my own personal dogs for protection. I am real sure if I could train myself to sit long enough I could make a decoy dog.

Tim

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuOk guys, I'll not call anyone out, and sorry no jokes from me. Lets talk about dogs, if its so easy to "train a decoy dog", why pay a guy to do it???? If any dog from the pound can do it, why pay good money for a parvo infested pup???

Duane, I see some of this pointing at me. you know the answer to these questions, but i will explain it to you again. I sent my dog to be trained because i didnt have the time due to deer season. once season starts, i am out of pocket for 2 full months and my dog was at the age where he needed to be in the field and hunting.

now, when i say training a decoy dog isnt that hard, heres my take, if you get a dog that has some good hunting traits and you train that dog some simple commands(sick, how to tone back, and a few others that take about a day to teach) and you are able to put a bunch of coyotes in front of the dog, then yes you can make a good dog out of them. the hardest part of it would be calling in a bunch of coyotes. he either makes or he doesnt. most decoying from what i have seen isnt taught, it is instinct of the dog.

could i have done it myself?? He!! yes i could have. but i did not want my dog sitting in my garage not doing nothing while i was running our deer hunting program.

now i know you have dogs that work differently than mine. your dogs are alot more versitile than mine as well. but for me, all i need from my dog is to go to the coyote eveytime he sees one and bring it back. it isnt long division. i could teach alot of dogs from the pound to do that.

Back