how do I get fox insted of song dogs??

Jonathan

hello to all

I am just wondering what I should be doing different for fox then coyoteIe set up,call's
lenght on stand and also call lenght?? any info would be app.

half of my hunting areas now have more fox than yot's due to mange I think but I am not having any luck draughing fox in and I am thinking that the set up is ok but that the calls could be he problem ,using many diferent hurt buny calls and mouse squekers?????? any info please

Jonathan :eek:

One thing with fox is that they are less willing to tangle with anything big. They would more likely eat a rabbit or small so any larger animal distress call will often scare them away. Also if you are sounding too loud they won't come in, no fox in its right mind will tangle with a 50-60lb rabbit and if you sound like that big a rabbit he will run. Fox are easy to call due to thier smaller ranges. I generally will find where a fox is and then try to walk him down, quite often you can walk a fox track until you see him or until you find a small stand of woods with his tracks going in and not coming out, then just find a downwind place to call from and call it out. I have called in a lot of fox using just my ball sqeaker. I have also walked a few down and gotten shots at them as they slept sunning in the open areas.

thank you for your reply and I will try that real soon .......do you use a shotgun or a rifle
for fox? thanks again Jonathan

I have found that fox generally dont like to hang out where yotes are. Coyotes tend to run off or kill fox due to the fact that they compeat for food and they probably just dont like each other either. Im sure that this is not always true.

Well, let me just tell you my experience on Sunday afternoon. I ran out for a quick scout/stand to Hunters Creek area (opposite side of valley from Jims Creek).

To make a long story short...always remember your keys to the lock that you have on your T/C Encore hammer!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I am glad I bought 2 of them since I know only have one that works. On the same hand, never go to a stand with out a Leatherman! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, after getting setup, I started my calling. Blasted pretty good volume as I was in a fairly large open area. I had a large bush directly behind me, a small one just to the right front of me and a medium size low bush to the left of me (of coarse read bush as twigs). I stopped my calling after about 30 seconds and sat watching the area I imagined the critters would come in. About 30 seconds later, I caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my left eye. Yep, right where that damned bunch of twigs were. I slowly moved my head over that way and saw a very nice cross-fox trotting right at be. He must have seen my head movement as he just sat down and kept looking right at me. Well, I use cross sticks on my stands and my rifle was a full 100° right of where it needed to be. I slowly raised my left hand and grabbed the cross sticks as I kept looking at the fox. I lowered the sticks back into my lap and started swinging my rifle to the left. At the movement the fox decided it knew exactly where that sound was coming from and came RUNNING! B-line, straight at me, I didn't want to move fast so I just kept swinging the rifle around. By the time I was lined up with the fox he was 10 ft away and had got a good enough look to decide he didn't want to be there anymore. If you have ever seen a fox set its mind on clearing out of the country, you know it was a blur as that thing took off. I tried to squeak and stop him for a lookback, but he was far to smart for that. Never got a shot at him running as I didn't want to blow the stand by taking pop shots at a fox doing the flight of the bumblebee.

My conclusions? If I had a partner, that fox would be on a stretcher. If I had an electronic caller and the sound was coming from somewhere other than right where I was sitting, that fox would be on a stretcher. Fox, can act just like a coyote and come charging in hell bent for supper. By the way, I was using a Rhino call in cottontail and volume was medium to loud.

thanks for your info sounds like you had a real go of it any way. I wish it were legal to use game callers here that would be real cool .

Jonathan

Back