Night Calling

SCOTT

I have heard a few Alaskans talk about hunting at night with the use of a light. I thought I would like to give this a try, however as I read through the Alaska Hunting Regulations (p.13) General Hunting Restrictions, I see the use of an artificial light is prohibited for any game. Are there any other Regulations regarding the use of a light while hunting predators?

Scott

Shhhhhh!!! Keep this under your hat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Page 17 of the 2002-2003 Trapping Regulations (You need a trapping license)

In the middle of this page there is a bold face print that says "Exceptions:" Read under this.

It states artificial light may be used for the purpose of taking furbearers Nov 1 to March 31 in Units 7, 9-26 during open season.

Good luck,
Todd

Yoter's Right. You must have a trapping license and be hunting under those regs, to use artificial light. Some fur animals can be taken with a hunting license as well as a trapping license and the seasons and bag limits may be different. You cannot legally use artificial light with just a hunting license.
That is why I did not shoot the lynx I called in the other day. Although the season was open for lynx with a hunting license in that area trapping is not until Dec. 1.

Well that figures, seems like I ran into that same thing when asking about shooting marmots. Looks like I will be getting a set of trapping regs tomorrow. Went out this evening, got a lonely coyote to bark at me, but never came in. Thanks for the info guys.

Scott

This is a really a off year on temps the normal for this time would be -20 to -40 so far it has been below zero only a few times have a good one>>>>>>> Coyote Slayer

Ya know . . . I've been calling on and off for over 35 years in New Jersey, Penna., Ohio and Alaska. Been in Alaska 17-18 years or so. I have done so (called) both day and night. I've busted a LOT of fur. Alaska is THE Place to be!.

Upon thinking back and anaylizing... both work ok (day and nite) ... but in the long run ... I've taken WAAYYYYYYY WAYYYY MORE FUR calling DAYTIME for some reason than calling at nite. I also like to see Exactly what I shoot at.

Not only that, but if you EVER miss one at nite because of nite conditions (or any other time) ... you now have an "Educated Coyote" which is a VERY REAL AND BAD THING) ... AND HE WILL NOW BE TEACHING THOSE OTHER COYOTES NOT TO COME IN TO THE NEXT CALL/SOUND THAT THEY HEAR. ///// THAT WILL R U I N YOUR AREA!!!!! (No Joke -- Not Good!).

I've done both .. tghere are Plenty of critters out there -- but ya know..., I just want to kill Every one that I call, and so therefore - - - - - I ONLY call Daytime ... Daytime has gotten my numbers Wayyy up.

Just my 2 cents.

Cas

scotchie1 -

The amount of daylight we have depends on where in Alaska we live. Take tomorrow for example. Anchorage will have 5.63 hours of light between sr & ss. Whereas Fairbanks will have 3.98 hours btwn sr & ss. Add about an hour of twilight to each side. If its cloudly then less daylight to play in. Going farther north forget it they have long nites not seeing daylight for months.

Randy -

CoyoteSlayer is right. Here in the Interior except for this very strange winter we are lucky if our high is 20 below

Back