Gonna go calling again

rimfirematt

If the weather is at least somewhat dry I will attempt calling again tomorrow. I got a new howler wich I have practiced with all night. My teeth are still buzzing. I went across the street (tudor) just before dark, to try out calling and my new ghille suit wich I spent 5 hours making. Okay, I dont like my ghille suit! I cant see out of it and it itches! Oh well. I did have a couple of magpies that were off to my left about 400 yards away about 10 minutes into calling, then a squirell started barking like mad in front of me, he was probably about 100 yards away. I have a feeling something was out there, but I didnt see anything. I think I probably scared it when I totally fudged a howl. About 10 minutes after I did that everything died down and it started getting dark, so I bagged it for the night. Well Hopefully I will have good news tommorow, Haopy thanksgiving, Matt

Matt I can see you are in to this BIG TIME man you are lucky APD did not show up as to the howl being off a bit coyotes do it too so don't worry about it to much the more you work it the better it will get it takes time and I hope you get lucky to day and get something and have a happy Thanks Giving to you allso >>>

well somebody beat me to the first spot I was gonna try this morning, I started walking out in the dark and heard two shots go off. Im sure it was another caller, so I headed up the road. I got to my next destination at about 9:00 am, walked to my stand, and started calling. I started off with sceery snowshoe, waited some then did to greeting howls that sounded okay I thought. ( I would have rather done a challenge bark, but not sure how to do it) Waited then did distress, Waited then did greeting, then another distress, just as I was putting the call down I saw a flash of grey(looked like the top of a back) Take off from a small knoll! 99% sure I saw something but it happend real quick. Plus two squierrels were making a racket but then got real queit just before I saw that movement. Oh well. I got back to the car at 11:00! I sat there for almost 2 hours, no wonder I was so cold! Well tommorow is a different day, new area for me so I will report back. Matt
Oh yeah, coyote slayer I hope when you mentioned APD you were joking and did not think I had a gun with me! I can be a retard but not ignorant hahha

Well another weekend gone by and no dogs in the bag! I thought I did everything by the book today, I saw some sign (there was snow where I was) but not enough to indicate that they were hanging around. I am going to blame todays failure on lack of animals. On a positive note the rabbits seem to be coming up in numbers. Me and Alaskancritter put in our time this weekend, Also I will add that AlaskanCritter (aka) Dan can hold real still! I think that I have pretty good self control but Dan takes the Cake! Well I still have my first predator to dream about. Hope everyone gets out soon and starts posting pictures of sucsess! Good Luck, Matt

Hey, It was nice meeting you too. I think I'll get that predator too. Im still motivated about it. Why dont you send me an email at m.bradbury@att.com so i got your email and also to see about you comin out with me to help me out. Im gonna start lookin for lights pretty soon. NEED MORE MONEY. Gonna go shoot the .243 tommorow I got some 80 grain loads and some 100's. Later, Matt

Hey matt how accurate is your 17 hmr? What does the trajectory look like betwwen 50-150 yards? What scope are ya sporting? Thanks.

Ive been real happy with my hummer! At 100 yards with 5 mph or less wind it will shoot .5 to .9 groups all day long. With impact at 100 yards it is about +.7 high at 50. This little bullet is said to actually cheat the wind better within 100 yards than the .22 mag. I dint have exact figures or experiance though. If your thinking about getting one I really recomend the Marlin, It just needs a trigger job. The best way to do that is to take a pentel mechanical pencil spring.05 mm and replace the trigger spring. It takes abou 2 min. It reduces trigger pull down to 2.5 to 3 lbs and is safe. I performed many safety tests on my gun. On small game that v-max is devastating. I got a place that I can see down a powerline for a long way. Probably 500 yards. When the rabbits cross that thing they stand out like a sore thumb. I shot one big one at 150 to 175 according to my rangefinding scope. I just held on top of its head and hit it center. I'll post a pic of that one when I get a chance. I was using a Tasco varmint 6-24x scope. Kinda wish I still had it, but I traded for a simmons 4-12X pro air.

Critter, Nope no calling this weekend. Spent saturday with the wife. Sunday I went after rabbits. It was my dogs birthday, so I thought I would treat her with that. I put on some miles today but no luck. I came back and started building my own homepage! Check it out at Alaska Gun and Tackle! HaHa computers are fun. Hopefully all us can post some pics on there when we start getting some predators. Im thinking about maybe Heading out early tuesday somewhere close by then coming back to town at noon. Are you up for that? Anybody?

Back