What is the weather like

Coyote Slayer 1

How is the weather in your part of the state god it sucks here if it is not 30 to 40 above the wind is 30 to 40 MPH not to bad for coyotes but playing hell on wolves wish it would just snow a foot and get to 20 below and move those guys down a bit anyway that is it just blowing of a bit of steam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>

Slayer -

Well it was/is about 5 above. Just got back from chasing 40 Mile bou all day. Went up to south fork. No bou, snow is marginal to okay in places for running a sno go. Temps ran from the 5 up reaching 25 above on Fairplay. Heck Chicken was a big 11. The temps really bumped around. I hear yeah on needing more snow and cooler temps. I'd like to take the sno go up to the cabin site that I staked this fall (hoping the state likes me!) and see how the calling is in that area. Never have called it. But I need atleast another foot of the white stuff to make it. Not very accessible with my 4 whlr and now with a little snow there is no way other then by foot.

I know what you mean been running the tires off my ATV on the river have to check wolf sets every other day due to the temps a good friend of mine put in a few sets with me he likes to get off the road system and we split the wolves wish now we would have never put them in but as he would say they will get there WHEN!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL as to Bou went to 13 on WED> nite to look for wolves not a Bou any place and we went clear to 13 mile hill well good luck talk to you soon.>>>

It was about 13 today around here, no wind. Pretty nice day. Didn't do any calling. Sighted in the new AR-15. Then me and my daughter did some scouting. Saw alot of fox and coyote sign, not much lynx though. I did the caribou hunt back in sep. got a small bull about 35 miles in on chicken ridge. It was a great hunt. I will definatlely get some calling in tomorrow.

Scott

It has been so warm in Anch this year I almost mowed the lawn today. I have not gone out this year because I don`t have tree or grass camo. Did you all read the news paper about the the warm weather and the critters. Sounds like it would be good hunting with a white decoy. Watch out for the warm weather bears out there guys.

My weather is pretty close to AC's, but it is raining a lot in my direction. Hanging right around 40 or so. Its pretty bad in the mornings before work I bundle up to go out and start the car just to find out I could have walked out there in my slippers and sleeping skivies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Todd

Twenty below would be a god send yep gets those wolves to just running all over heck and back they need to look for that fresh meal and a 30 grbt does the trick LOL LOL LOL heck they are having a field day on Bou and sheep up around morning star creek GRRRRRRRRRR well lets pray snow and cold weather and NO WIND !!!!!!!!!!!!! heck anyone know a no wind dance please send it my way nite all >>>

magelk2 -

Yeah it does sound crazy wanting 20 below temps but its true we do! Heck this morning its a big 15 degrees and thats too warm. The little snow that we have starts to get slippery and wet not to mention noisy. Plus the below temps get the animals to fur up better. The other thing is with the warm temps the rivers and such have not froze up or have marginal ice not to mention lots of overflow making travel either impossible or very dangerous. Last week I skipped a shot on a cross fox that was crossing the west fork as he was on thin ice. Had a neigbors machine get caught in some overflow, it froze in as the temps dropped. After chipping it out they were able to retrieve it with a 4 whlr (ATV to you southerners)It has sure been a weird one so far.

I hear ya AK Critter! I would hate to be on a stand with my .17 Rem and have a warm weather bear come to the call. I don't feel like hauling my .338 around with me so I am just waiting for winter to get here before I set out calling. I beginning to get depressed with this weather the way it is. I wonder if the critter have even furred up yet this year.....

Another crappy day here wind at 20 with gusts to forty the temp is 38 BUT on the good side the army left yesterday so no more blowing the heck out of everything on the delta river looks like no training in the Month of DEC. the fur is really OK all the coyotes i took so far have a good layer of fat along with the few wolves I got all in all not a great year so far maybe Jan.,Feb.and March will be a lot better I really could not think of being worse.As to the Bears I have not seen a fresh track does not mean they are not out there well just pray for cold have a great day >>>

Thats good thing about the bears. They should be going for the higher ground. Mat and I are going to try the Eureka area this Friday and Saturday. Anyone else like to go? Give me a call at 243-2016.

As for Bear Safety when calling, unless its cold and mid-winter, I carry a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 w/ Randy Garrett's 540 Gr. Hammerhead bullets. That load will shoot legnthwide clear through an African Cape Buffalo.

Bears can come in at Any time ... and they are usually pissed, and it can get terminal real quick.

Safety first!

Cas

I haven't seen any bear tracks, but with these high temps it wouldn't surprise me if there are some late hibernaters out there. I've been taking the .44mag with 300gr hornady xtp's as back up when calling.

Scott

Yea i have not seen any bear sign eather but the ground is hard as rock I carry my 444 with 350 gr in it.Not to worried about calling but checking wolf sets that could be one problem in a hurry got a nice white and silver coyote pup last nite so that is 15 and three.As for the weather it is now raining like mad out there.

Well you all have a great Thanks Giving and don't eat to much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and be safe what ever you are doing >>>

I just got back from a unsucessful foray into the well known wilds. I did zip. Only excitement was when a bird landed on a branch above me and knocked snow down my back! Pissssed me off but no I didn't shoot him!! Anger control and all!!Can't blow the stand! Right!!

I was concerned about a late bear. Took my 45-70 5 shot revolver but left it in the truck also no bear tracks where I was. Gotta get past thanksgiving and the grand kids before I head out again. Enjoy the next few days guys. Just waiting for youngest daughter to report in.. (she goes with a former CG guy) Damn the roads are bad!!

Back