New Savage .17 WSM Rifle

Wonder if you could get a "New York" complaint model lol. i had dreams of getting one
frown.gif

It's on the top of my list, although money's always a concern so I'll let you guys wring out which is the best bang for the buck before I buy.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: NE_WelderWas hoping for external magazine.... but ill prolly still buy one.

I thought it sounded like it is an external mag?

Quote: "The magazine feeds from the center of a rotary magazine."

More quote: "I loaded 8 rounds into the magazine and was pleasantly surprised that it fit flush with the bottom of the rifle."

?????

Maybe next time i will read the whole thing hahaha. But tine is limited while at work. Ill def trying to get my mitts on one soon as i can get ammo for it

I sometimes just have to shake my head in wonderment when I see guy's starting to pick apart a $350.00 Savage rifle. It ain't cheap because it's made from top quality components. It's cheap because its CHEAP. CHEAP as in cheap parts, cheap materails, cheap assembly. This doesn't mean it's garbage, (though it could). If a guy buys it, finds out it shoots well, and is reliable, then good for him. However if a guy buys it and finds out the cheap plastic or aluminum parts break, or the action is really rough, or it just won't shoot accurately...well you only paid $350.00 or less for it, what did ya really expect? Now let's say Cooper makes a 17 WSM, then I would expect quality all-round, If it wasn't, then a guy might have a legitimate reason to gripe a little. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Savage rifles. Some I like quite a lot and own 5 of them. However I would never buy a Hyundai and expect it to have all the creature comforts and performance of a Lexus either. As for the 17 WSM, I am excited about the caliber, but I have yet to see a rifle offering that gets me even luke warm excited. As far as I know, Winchester is offering it in a single shot and the Savage are the only two so far.

I had written to Anschutz and Weatherby suggesting they make an early offering, Weatherby is interested.

I'd be all over one like the .17HMR they had Anschutz make for them at a grand.

Anschutz, Weatherby, or even Ruger would get my attention. A Winchester similar to the Model 52 or a Remington like the 541T (with a metal magazine instead of cheap plastic) would also light my fire.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21I sometimes just have to shake my head in wonderment when I see guy's starting to pick apart a $350.00 Savage rifle. It ain't cheap because it's made from top quality components. It's cheap because its CHEAP. CHEAP as in cheap parts, cheap materails, cheap assembly. This doesn't mean it's garbage, (though it could). If a guy buys it, finds out it shoots well, and is reliable, then good for him. However if a guy buys it and finds out the cheap plastic or aluminum parts break, or the action is really rough, or it just won't shoot accurately...well you only paid $350.00 or less for it, what did ya really expect? Now let's say Cooper makes a 17 WSM, then I would expect quality all-round, If it wasn't, then a guy might have a legitimate reason to gripe a little. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Savage rifles. Some I like quite a lot and own 5 of them. However I would never buy a Hyundai and expect it to have all the creature comforts and performance of a Lexus either. As for the 17 WSM, I am excited about the caliber, but I have yet to see a rifle offering that gets me even luke warm excited. As far as I know, Winchester is offering it in a single shot and the Savage are the only two so far.

Totally agree with this whole post. If you want expensive, then don't buy cheap. By the same token, most people understand why a $350 rifle doesn't come with a high-end trigger, flawless blueing, exhibition grade walnut stock, etc, etc, etc.

But for those that never seem to be able to fathom why this is so, here's the short version: Because it's cheap. Adding all that stuff makes a rifle expensive which is different from cheap.

Grouse

Grouse

I will be getting one of these rifles. In Michigan were limited to rimfire at night. This will be just what we needed to take those yotes just out of shotgun range.

Read the press release on the Anshuetz 1727 in their 17 hmr over a couple of weeks ago. They said the end of the article that they are considering it also in the 17 WSM and the 17 hornet if there is enough interest in them. They also said it would be around $2000.00. If you haven't checked out the action on these thing it is worth a look. Closest thing to to getting a semi auto in an hmr with that straight pull action. Now only if I had that type of money.

Read the article over on saubier.com

My mouth is watering for one of these rifles. And I am beginning to think that I need to start a petition in my state I wish we could still call at night.

I'm hearing rumors from some SHOT show participants that the release date is sliding back towards late Summer. Hope it's not the case. Don't know how accurate the info is.

Originally Posted By: kelI'm hearing rumors from some SHOT show participants that the release date is sliding back towards late Summer. Hope it's not the case. Don't know how accurate the info is.

When has a new product came out when it was supposed to? Take the shockwave and the 17 hornet for example.

Can't wait to start getting field reports when these are in the hands of hunters. I've got three 17hmrs already, but they could always use a big brother!

Back