Question

magelk2

OK, I figure you Alaskan dudes can possibly answer this. What effect does an extremely healthy wolf population have on calling coyotes?

(OOPS posted before I was done)

Here's the scenario.

Last few weekends during the Minnesota deer season, I found tons and tons of coyote sign, and on wednesday of last week we got 3 inches of snow and then I ran across even more sign, since I could see all the tracks then. A triple even ran past the front of the house I was at, out on the lake, during the night. I see them once in a while but I've rarely heard a sound out of them. I tried calling once last year(didn't have much time)with no luck. There are lots of wolves and you can hear them almost every night and morning. My theory is that the coyotes are super skittish and shy from being on constant guard from wolves. How would a guy approach this? Remember, in Mn. it is illegal to shoot a wolf with a huge fine and jail time most likely.

And also, a couple guys I met recently told me they can't get any responses in their area either and they have lots of wolves too.

My feeling is that Coyotes always avoid Wolves, IF they know they are in the area. Far as I'm concerned, Alaskan Wolves are like Jaws...'cept Jaws is in the ocean and Wolves are on the land. We need to be shooting Wolves from airplanes again....reduce their numbers by about 75%. They are both canines and both extremely smart....with Coyotes being a tad smarter/&more survivable. Both can be had but I think local conditions make a difference. A friend in St. Paul NE. tells me that their coyotes won't come to a call until ground is frozen and snow on the ground...I think here they will ocme anytime, as long as they are not carcass-eaters.

I have found that here coyotes just don't make a lot of noise when wolves are in a area moast times if wolves are working a river or creek bed coyotes will answer but from a lot higher country but as the wolves move on to run there areas the coyotes will go back to there normal daily things.Coyotes will come to a call when wolves are around but they will not let the whole world know where thay are they just apear and if things don't feal right they are gone that fast too.

The moast important thing to do is pattern your wolf pack I think once you find out the pack's comming and going you will do a lot better on coyotes >>>

I agree that when wolves are around the coyotes are harder to find. Around here the wolves tend to keep the yotes in limited areas. When the wolves are running their territory and they hit the coyote's range. The coyotes just shut up.

A couple of years ago I was trying to slip into a an area that had several coyotes in it. As I was sneaking into my stand I crossed fresh yote tracks (good sign) and was following them as they were going to where I was headed. Well I then spot very fresh wolf tracks. They intercepted the yote tracks. Before the wolf intercepted the tracks he was just a walking. He sniffed the tracks and did a 90 degree turn and took off after the yote at a full clip. There haven't been many coyotes around there since. Wolves will tolerate coyotes but coyotes are smart enough not to push the issue.

Back