New to predator hunting What is a good rifle?

Socal hunter

I am new to predator hunting. I ahave done alot of big game in the past. I have large caliber rifles. I know very little about predators though. I have shot a few coyote but with a 375 H&H it makes a little mess of the pelt. What is a good rifle/caliber/scope combo to use. I have no preferance to brand.

Socal-
I personally use a .223 w/varmint barrel. This might be a good thing to post in the "firearms" forum, as everybody has their own personal choice as to rifles & optics. Somebody there will know how to get a scope mounted on your AR15, I have seen them, but can't exactly remember how it's done.

Howdy;
Why not give a little thought to how big a coyote is, then ask yourself, "Why do I need a scope". Most folks can bounce a pop can around, offhand, at a hundred yards w/ an AR, so what's the problem?

But if you talk yourself into a scope, get a Leatherwood base (the type that fits the carrying handle, attaching w/ one screw) and a set of the lowest rings that will work with the scope of your choice. The easiest way would be to buy one of the scopes made for the AR, with the base built in; no rings necessary, just the one bolt holds it on. They have the advantage also of having bullet drop compensation built in. Don't know if Colt still makes them (made in Japan, actually), but that would be a good bet. I'd stay away from the really cheap Chinese numbers, but I've not tried them, so that opinion is based on common sense. There, wasn't that fun? Go for it!

Originally posted by SidL:
Most folks can bounce a pop can around, offhand, at a hundred yards w/ an AR, so what's the problem?

I find this extremely hard to believe. I doubt most folks could do it with a SCOPE offhand...but I know you wouldn't find 10% who could do it with open sites, standing. You need 51% to say "Most" so...not likely. Do you predator hunt? You never use a scope? Except the guys with shotguns. And a few close rangers, I will doubt you'll find many guys here who soley use iron sights. Many of these guys are great shots, but not the sniper-eagle eye's you speak of. I do however comend the way you immidiatly flame the newbie for an honest post
rolleyes.gif
Job well done
mad.gif

[This message has been edited by BadMedicine (edited 09-22-2001).]

BM, it didn't appear to me that Sid was flaming the newbie. It is quite easy to bounce a pop can around at 100 yards with a open sight AR. Actually it is easier than with a scope. I have hunted ground squirrels at over a hundred yards with open sighted ARs many times. Even someone with no experience would be able to do it with very little practice. ARs are known for there open sight accuracy. Not trying to flame you BM, just relaying info.
smile.gif

Having said that, I do prefer a scope on my coyote guns though. Sid gave good advice on the scope/mount combo. I use a B-Square mount when putting a scope on a carry handle. It attaches with one knurled nut. Some kind of short scope would be my pick. Midway, Cabelas, Cheaper than Dirt, Natchez Shooters Supply, are a few good places to find short scopes and mounts.

Hope this helps.

First, let's be sure to keep our comments and opinions civil.
smile.gif

As far as open sights and coyote hunting, I have no interest in that except maybe those targets of opportunity with the handy truck gun. Never seen the rifle that wasn't better off with a PROPER scope.

Good hunting. LB

Socal, since you're from commiefornia you may want to check into magazine capacity it's 10 rounds here, may be 5 there for hunting? No need to get a ticket because some anti calls the law on you for having a mean rifle. Go to Midwayusa.com They have descent prices on mounts and scopes for AR. One option is to take the carry handle off and mount a weaver style mount on top. This will allow you to get a good rifle scope on that thing. I don't favor the handle mount scopes, since they are developed for military work, not hunting, the magnification is usually fixxed at 4 or 6X. And they usually have funky aiming recticles similar to chevron or European post recticles. All that said they are of coarse quality sights. Personally I'd go the weaver mount hunting scope combo. Keep the magnification at a 4-12X, 3-9X if you don't want to shoot over 200 yards. This will make it more flexible and still allow you to shoot up close.
Go with 55 gr. soft point ammo. It's cheap and gets the job done.
Hook up with a local predator hunting chapter. Best hunting near you is from Tecopa( I believe that's on 127 at the Nevada border near Vegas) all the way down to the border along the Arizona line.
Good luck

And the battle rages on!!

Socal, if you already have the AR in hand, consider the following:

1. Consider what type of terrain and distances you are shooting at. If you calling the coyotes in closer than 100 yards before you see them or can get a clean shot off, you may do well to use a 1X red dot type scope. It's easier to get them in the sight picture because you can keep both eyes open and your eye relief is not critical. It's more like shooting a shotgun than a rifle in that you don't have to keep the front and rear sights aligned. Just put the red dot on his chest and BANG.
If you find you are looking at coyotes looking back at you at distances greater than 150 yds or so, get an optical scope in something like 2X6, or 3X9. Leupold makes an outstanding scope, and their VariX-II model is being discontinued, so there ere some pretty good deals from Cabelas and MidSouth Shooters supply. Get a bipod with legs long enough to shoot from the sitting position to steady the shakes and you should be able to whack them out to 300+ yards. Harris is a good brand and I have heard good things about SnipePod. You may want to buy a cheek rest for your stock, since the scope sits quite high on the carry handle. It will help you to get on target and inprove your consistancy. If you have money to burn, get a flat top upper for your rifle with a 24" barrel, and the scope will be a couple inches lower. That ought to make a really good long range coyote whacker.

This is just my opinion, and what I would do if I found an AR under the Christmas tree.

You could buy my Sharps advertised elsewhere on this board!
smile.gif

------------------
Regards,

Sharps Shooter.

'74 Sharps... when you care enough to use the very best.

River Runner, I'm from CA as well, no flaming intended. We all know what CA has done to the shooters with the bans on this and that, that's why I call it Commiefornia, it is a State where the Bill of Rights and Constitution have very litle bearing on the governing body.
I'm the type of guy that gets along with everyone, so feel free to tell me when I have erred. If I ruffled anyones feathers I sincerely apologize. Have a nice day.

Now who would be offended by that remark? Californians have a thicker skin than that. And we usually need it, don't we?
smile.gif

Thanks, RR. I saw the post a long time ago; doesn't bother me. I know I live in the Land of the Fruits and Nuts.
smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

But sending a guy to Tecopa? I dunno?

I guess I am the odd man out here but I would get a good bolt action rifle. Some people get behind a semi auto and do them selves more harm than good. I have seen more than one shooter do the spray and pray to come up empty.

My favorite set up is a sporter weight 22-250 with a 24 inch barrel. A Leupold or Burris with a range of any where from 3 to 14 power. To me this is the ultamit coyote gun.

[This message has been edited by Van Cent Nebr (edited 09-24-2001).]

Van: I dont think you're the odd one out. Many of us prefere a good bolt rifle to a semi-auto..BUT he was asking if his gun is good for yotes, and the answer is yes, if he doesn't want to buy another rifle, his will do fine. I'd take a 3 or 4 shot bolt gun to a 30 rnd semi any day. I've never seen a pack or 30 coyotes, and even the packs of 5 or 6 yotes, I think it's VERY uncommon for anybody to get 4 or 5 at a stand.

Sorry about that guys I did not read his second post. That is what I get for not paying attention.

[This message has been edited by Van Cent Nebr (edited 09-24-2001).]

Back