What's North?

mikegranger

Does Northern Montana count? Going up to the Malta country next week. Maybe I'll fill everyone in here on this site. Just let me know what the rules are.

I see Redfrog is a moderator of this site. I'm beginning to wonder if the guy really even hunts anymore or does he just sit at his computer and recycles "old" memories. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think it's time to see some recent pictures Redfrog. I'm thinkin pictures of monster bucks and lots of dead coyotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike,
I think we are talking mostly Alaska and a bit of canada, but we ain't all that hard to get along with. If you are really far north, well you might just fit in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whats North ?

I would say... pretty much if you havfta ask, youre "not", eh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You all have Cas to thank for this Special GWN forum, hes the one that re-initiated this request.
Be sure to thank him ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well Mike since you asked.

First of all welcome everyone to the newest forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This forum was created because like calling in the east differs from calling in the west, The GWN is different from the south.

While everyone is welcome here, I'll try to spell out some differences. They aren't rules, just observations.

In the GWN we hunt in long johns, coveralls, mitts and toques.

In the south it's shorts and sandals.

In the GWN cold is -40. Warm is 0

In the south it's hotter at 8 am than on any 3 days here totalled.

A skidoo suit is formal evening wear in the GWN.

In the south "What's a Skidoo?"

GWN we drink black coffee and a double shot of Yukon Jack stirred with our thumb.

The south they have a double latte with a snap and a twist.

In the south the coyotes need rogaine.

In the GWN the fur weighs more than the coyote does.

In the GWN Drive by shootings involve coyotes and trucks, not varmints with their hats on backwards.

So let's have some fun here. And those pics of my recent kills should be ready soon. My daughter is drawing them as we speak.HOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Neffquail--check your map of the US and you'll see that there is a "Red River" running between North Dakota and Minnesota--yah sure you betcha, by golly!! If you are north of that Red River, you are definitely NORTH!

Let me tell you what north is...

When it's twenty five below zero and you touch your gun with bare skin and it burns, that's up north.

When you go to rack another shell in the chamber and the bolt doesn't work it's because you accidently put too much oil on your gun when you last cleaned it. (one drop can be too much)

When you look like a great white pillsbury doughboy when you are on stand because of all the clothes you wear.

It's when your snot freezes on your mustache and your eyelashes are lined with frost.

It's when your snowshoes get more miles than your work boots.

It's when you never hunt alone because if you fall over a snow covered log and break a leg, you know you'll die within an hour without help.

It's when electonic calls are almost out of the question because the batteries loose too much power in the cold.

It's when the snow is up to your bum but you trudge through it because just over the next rise might be a varmint.

It's when you carry a spare truck battery in case your truck doesn't start between stands.

It's when your wife stops saying "I think you are crazy" and it moves to "you are crazy."

This is certainly just a partial list but... It's a start.

Later
Randy

I live 17 miles from Lake Superior (The Big Lake) in the North Central Upper Peninsula of MI. We get snow, 300"+ last season, cold ( I've seen -46 more times than I care to count), and I own 3 pairs of snowshoes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I guess that I'm Up North too. One more thing, we've got two seasons here, winter and construction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif MI VHNTR

Hi to all you southerners down in Mn, and the lower 48. I'm not real north by AK standards. In fact I'm an eastener in the interior up along the Yukon boarder. Do I qualify for the eastern forum?But you guys are right it can get a bit chilly which I guess makes us do weird things and have weird things happen to us, our calls, guns, etc.

This forum should be interesting.

Hi John,

I figure I've got the best of all worlds where I'm at. Our hunting here in Minnesota is very similar to Wisconsin which is definately "eastern" in nature, I go to ND which is much like "Western" and when it gets so damned nasty here in MN, I'm in the great white north.

Now, if I could just learn to call predators....

Randy

I don't care what anyone says ND is considered to up north since most the guys posting pics are hunting in long sleeve t-shirts. I've been to AZ calling and as far as i'm concerned you can have it i will take my 25 below over 60 above anyday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looks like I asked a question that was on everyone's mind.

Redfrog, I can relate to all of your criteria except stirring the yukon jack with the finger, tea-totaller ya know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now, waaaay up North they call them sno-go suites.

I say the GWN is anywhere that the snow gets a$$ deep and the air is crisp enough to freeze your nostrils together if you breath too fast through them.

I've been in Northern Idaho, Montana and Minnesota and can vouch that they are truly the GWN. They just aren't as Great as Alaska! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

When you know Santa on a non Christmas schedule basis, drink beers with his head elf Leroy, and when its cold enough outside the snowman wants to come in for coffee.

Oh Yeah! When you shovel your drive way at zero degrees in your robe and sneakers to see if you can do it before you freeze.

Just to keep this thread going, I was in Galena, Alaska for several winters. The coldest was Jan 1989 when the temperature dropped to -88 below zero. That's straight temp, no pansy windchills. I broke a driveshaft in the pickup trying to move it. Threw 5 gallons of hot water in the air and none hit the ground!! Saw antifreeze freeze, on and on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We used to say you Wasilla boys lived in the banana belt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That's the GWN

When you look like a great white pillsbury doughboy when you are on stand because of all the clothes you wear.

HEY!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RedFrog I resemble that remark!!!!!!

Mike G. I remember that year. I was on a C-130 headed up north for a jump in the big military exercises (Brim Frost I think}. Well any way I remember they had us all arctic geared up facemask and everything. They said we were on hold because they estimated the temperature at the point of jump to be about –500 below. Fortunately in an unfortunate way I didn’t have to jump. A Canadian plane went down about a quarter mile before the air strip killing nine and they turned us around (Scrapped the mission).

I have thrown a cup of water up at –50 below and it crystallized before it hit the ground.

Todd

Ak Yoter,
I remember that. A bad day for the canucks for sure. I did a Christmas Bird count on a sno-go that year. Saw 3 birds, a raven and 2 boreal chickadees. That was it for the entire day. Got frostbite on the nose for my efforts. Hope the little birdies appreciated it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back